Honored Contributor

Project Runway Season 18 JAN 2 (Episode 4) - Spoilers Included

[ Edited ]

Recap of the designs: https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-18/season-18/blogs/project-runway-season-18-episode-4-...

Ugh!  Well to start it off, no sooner had they received their challenges then the real rain began.  That means my TV went off-line.  That also means what I’m recording will be useless too.  I was wondering how you can sketch on your way to the thrift shop.  I would’ve thought you would get some of your inspiration from the clothes you choose rather than try make the clothes fit your ideas, but, that’s probably another reason I’m not a designer.  This, to me, is too much like the unconventional materials challenge, so they should not have put them back to back.  I loved how Sergio says he “epicycles” from Prada’s cast-offs.  I don’t know about the Goodwill in NY, but the ones here you aren’t going to find any Prada.

My observations of the Runway:

Loved Victoria’s dress.

Nancy’s dress is nice.  Go old people!  The only reason I wouldn’t call it the winner is the shirt fabric wrinkles too easily, so it looks a little messy.

I don’t think Dayoung’s style is Karlie.

Tyler’s looks kinda up-tight or frumpy.

Sergio - great classic look with a twist?  Is he talking about that bra thing?

It’s unfortunate that Shavi’s skirt got messed up.  They hated the whole thing, but I did like the jacket.

Maybe the blue jean outfit for the other top look although I wouldn’t consider it the winner. 

As far as the bottom 3 looks, I felt Tyler’s was at least well made.  I would probably send marquis (sp.) home.

BTW, just had to say, I found Karlie’s big shoulder pads in that dress took away from the dress. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Project Runway Season 18 JAN 2 (Episode 4) - Spoilers Included

I agreed w/the winning look.  Out of the top 3 it was the right pick.  Karlie has those gorgeous long legs, yes, show them off in Paris. I didn't know Karlie was from St. Louis.

What was w/that odd bra and bow effect on Sergio's outfit?  The suit was perfectly fine and he spoiled it with that.  He's got some strange taste if you ask me. 

I was happy for Nancy.  Yea, go old folks!!  I couldn't see the detail on the skirt too much and I agree the blouse wouldn't look very crisp for too long.

I knew Tyler was gonna get the axe.  Once he made the remark about Karlie and the Kushner's, it was all over for him.  But there was nothing fashion forward about it.  I don't know why he didn't go with his pants idea, other than Christian shooting him down, and then Sergio talking him into making palazzo's.  I think Tyler got confused and started running out of time, and thus made the boring skirt and frumpy top. 

Having to sketch out your idea in a van on the way to a thrift shop was tough.  I get sick if I am not watching the road or looking out a window.  I can't read let alone draw in a moving vehicle.  These challenges ARE really tough.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I will finish watching over the weekend.  When they said the challenge was making something for Karlie I was like ughhhh.

Respected Contributor

All these styles were HORRIBLE!! Dark, heavy, nothing good stood out.

Karlie is so pretty none of these looks were for her. Not a good season IMO!!!!!

👎

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ahoymate wrote:

All these styles were HORRIBLE!! Dark, heavy, nothing good stood out.

Karlie is so pretty none of these looks were for her. Not a good season IMO!!!!!

👎

@ahoymate, I was thinking the same thing about how every garment was dark or black.  Nothing stood out in my mind.  Nancy's and Chelsey's were nothing new or innovative.  In fact, in previous seasons, I've seen so many jean looks that are basically the same but not exactly. 

I knew that Tyler was the one to leave and not because of his comment about dinner with the Kushners.  He's just so young and needs some time.  I've seen his design also before. Even People magazine on line had an article about his comment about "Dinner With The Kushners."  That side eye that Karlie gave was brutal.

I didn't even like Victoria's for the win either but it was the best out of all three.

Who does Sergio think he is?  A mentor and better than everyone else???  I'm starting not to like him.

Bad episode.  Onto next week. 

Valued Contributor

Hi, JellyBEAN.......I, too get sick if the car is in motion.  I can't read---takes about ten seconds, and that is what I was thinking when Karly said that they would have to do there sketching in the van.

I knew that Tyler would get axed, especially after that remark but his design missed the mark on so many levels.  I am happy for Nancy because it is never too late to chase your dream.  I didn't care for the denim outfit---seen it so many times before.

Honored Contributor

I wasn’t really thrilled with any of the looks. Not a fan of the bell bottom patchwork jeans with skimpy bra top. The denim skirt & pink blouse were ok. 

Victoria’s black mini was probably best for Karlie, but her cutout outfits are starting to look very similar to me. How long until they criticize her for doing the same thing over and over? I have seen that happen in the past.

The bottom three were bad. Yes, Tyler’s was boring, but the other 2 looked worse IMO. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching all these years, it’s that boring and safe go home even if the other bottom looks are not sewn well or ugly. 

Honored Contributor

Did they show Karli wearing the winning look? They always showed Heidi in it at the end of the show when they made stuff for her (and it always looked different/better).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Yes, they showed her in the winning look, but it was very quick. If you looked away for a second, you would miss it.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Yes, they showed her in the winning look, but it was very quick. If you looked away for a second, you would miss it.

I must've looked away 'cause I missed it.  But that reminds me of the episode years ago when they did skating costumes for Tara Lipinski.  They never showed a picture of her wearing the winning look.  Wonder why?  Bwahahahahaha!