Honored Contributor

Project Runway Season 18 FEB 6 (Episode 9) - Spoilers Included

[ Edited ]

Recap of the Fashions: https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-18/season-18/blogs/project-runway-season-18-episode-9-...

I posted about this in last week’s thread near the end, but not sure if anybody saw it.  I thought the entire season was “in the can” as they call it.  However, Mood Fabrics posted that they were having a contest to send someone to the Project Runway Season 18 NYFW show.  The contest was a 2-day contest which ends today, so no reason for me to post the link here.  NYFW started today if anyone is interested.

Geoffrey Mac - just looks weird, kinda like a space alien tuxedo.  The proportions are weird with the low waist.

Delvin’s look is terrible and doesn’t fit well.  I don’t think it looks that well-made as he thinks it is. I thought he was going to do some sort of real corset, but just stitching a corset on top just cheapens it.

Victoria’s is much better than last week’s.

Nancy’s may not be considered tuxedo enough, but I love it.  And I love the print.

Brittany’s has got to be the worst thing I’ve ever seen and yet she was up there talking about how Nancy should go home.

Sergio’s is also beautiful. Oh, why did he have to go to politics to explain his design.  There was no reason to bring that into it.  I have to disagree with the reference to Celene Dion’s backwards tuxedo.  While it might be a nod to her tux, Sergio’s was much more fitted. 

Marquis - I love the jacket, but not the bottom half.  I agree with Tommy’s comment about pleating the skirt, but I’m not a fan of “male cleavage” as he called the bare ankles.  The pant length and the flowy skirt were the two things I didn’t like about it.  That model though.  He really knows how to show off a garment. 

My top 3 in no particular order is Nancy, Victoria and Sergio.  For me, it’s a tossup between Sergio & Nancy.  Sergio’s is more tuxedo-like, but I really love Nancy’s look.  I think they’ll pick Marquis for the win, but maybe it’ll be Geoffry’s.

I choose Brittany to go home.  But, if they choose Nancy, maybe Christian will save her because he was all about her look in the workroom.

BTW, what happened to that baby blue fabric someone was getting in Mood?  Was that Delvin?  I guess you’re not committed even after they cut the fabric. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Project Runway Season 18 FEB 6 (Episode 9) - Spoilers Included

Sergio's personality leaves a little to be desired, but I really think he is coming into his own with his designs.  I think he should have won.  He says he was in Middle School the year Celine Dion wore that backwards tuxedo and he doesn't remember it, but that was a pantsuit and styled much differently.  I actually liked Sergio's better.  I liked the touch of pink on the back and it was fitted very well.

I liked the brocade material Nancy chose, but I did not like the huge white lapels and trim on her design.  And she does make the same pants over n over. 

I didn't care for Victoria's look either.  That satin material just exagerated all the lumps and bumps on that model and I thought it was very Morticia Adams in design.  She's flaming out. 

Geoffrey's tux was so bizarre.   I can't imagine any guy wanting to wear that to an event.  He's beginning to flame out as well.  His taste level is questionable but I do like him as he seems like a nice guy.

Delvin's look was HORRID.  omg - maybe he should have stuck w/his baby blue idea.  I think they should take what Christian says and consider it, but if they have an idea they want to go with, I think they should go with it, and just because Christian may not like it, too bad.  I don't think Christian is all that.  That suit Meghan Trainor had on WWHL tonight - that awful color blocked suit - just because Christian designed it for her, doesn't necessarily mean it looks great on you.  yeecch.

I'm glad Brittany was saved.  I thought she should have been in the top three for the sheer challenge, not just safe.  Her tux however was just awful with those shiny shorty shorts, for a man no less.  She is either hit or miss.  This time she missed.

I was thinking we'd see some great tux's here, but not really.  I think they were trying too hard to change it up and be more modern and for me, the designs just didn't work.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

Geoffrey - looked weird to me as well I am not sure how I feel about a man wearing a low waist.

Victoria - was much better than last week but to me the model also made it shine the way she sashayed down the runway.

Sergio - beautiful tailored but I didn't like the choker with that neckline.  He also needs to know when to zip it...enough already, just focus on the competition I don't even want to hear another word from him.

Marquise- well done and that model as well put the ping in that outfit.  He reminded me of Yul Bryner in the King and I!  I didn't get how cleavage and bare ankles go together but you can't always figure out everything.

Delvin - total disappointment that's all I can say.

Nancy - I actually liked the print and the style, even though it was not a tuxedo.

Brittany - she was lucky because her look was truly a hot mess.  It was sad and comical.

Honored Contributor

I like Sergio’s best. Yes, it was backwards like Celine’s, but his was much more tailored. I like it better than what she wore back then. I like how he seems to have embraced Nancy as a friend.

I knew Marquis would win. I could tell from the critiques. I thought he & Geofrrey had well tailored jackets, but I dislike crop pants on a guy so I was not a fan of either look. 

Nancy & Victoria’s looks were ok. I thought Victoria’s was too tight and gaped too much on top. I didn’t like the bedazzled garter. I didn’t think Nancy’s was as bad as the judges made it out to be. Her model looked good in it. 

Delvin’s green suit was awful. For someone who keeps claiming he has so much skill and training he really flopped. Brittany’s was the worst. The whole outfit was terrible. I’m ok with Christian saving her, because I think she is talented.

Delvin’s and Brittany’s attitudes are getting annoying. Instead of saying mean things about other designers behind their backs, maybe they should worry about their own designs. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I agreed with the winner and glad Christian used his save. Sergio is on my very last nerve, he blew it IMO when he started his political rant and was royally taken to task.  He is a very good designer but his arrogant   I am so much better than anyone else is a big turn off for me.  I think Victoria and Sergio will be showing at fashion week.  Love Nancy's attitude and didn't think she should have been in the bottom.  Will be interesting going forward as the save is no longer in play.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked Geoffrey's jumpsuit tuxedo. It was something new. It was the freshest idea there, yet I still thought Marquis deserved the win. Those pleats were a great feature and his look would be wearable by lots of fashionable men right now, whereas Geoffrey's would have to be worn by exactly the right person with exactly the right attitude to carry it off.

Victoria did better than last week with no meltdown, so my conspiracy theory I posed last week seems a bit less likely, but I'm not completely disowning it yet.

Sergio seems almost like a plant who is deliberately trying to make socially conscious people look insufferable. (LIike those one or two vegans or essential oil users in every bunch who lecture everyone.) Someone who actually cared would know better than to tell a woman of color that things were just peachy back in 1950. He does not do his causes any service.

I did like Sergio's look better than Celine Dion's backwards tux. The matte white looked much better than Celine's satin. I wish Bravo would just edit out Sergio's jabbering when it has nothing to do with an actual garment.

Brittany had the same problem that seems to plague every womenswear designer who suddenly tries to make a men's outfit on Project Runway. They always get the collar all weird and they make the lapels wrong.

A man's neck and shoulder line angles must be subtly yet crucially different than a woman's. I've seen all the seasons of this show, and it is so rare for anyone inexperienced at men's wear to do a good men's collar. Brittany is not my favorite, but I sort of like her, so I'm kind of glad she was saved but not over the moon.

Edited to add: Forgot Nancy. I like Nancy a lot. She seems like a real competitor, and doesn't constantly reference her age like some of the previous older constestants did. She seems comfortable and knows she belongs there. I didn't care for the damask fabric she chose this time. The scale was too big for my taste, and I always associate that size pattern with sofas and drapes, so I couldn't really see past it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

https://youtu.be/fw6sLE9IWTk

aftershow with Christian and Sebastian with special guest at the end especially for @momtochloe 

not feeling it for this challenge but OY Sergio your dress/tux was very pretty but gawd zip it when it comes to politics and 1950s was the best America? - glad the judges called him on it - just say a nod to Celine's Dion's tux and you went further with it.

it is like saying oh Audrey Hepburn's Breakfat at Tiffany's little black dress - it was before I was born - duh

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I liked Geoffrey's jumpsuit tuxedo. It was something new. It was the freshest idea there, yet I still thought Marquis deserved the win. Those pleats were a great feature and his look would be wearable by lots of fashionable men right now, whereas Geoffrey's would have to be worn by exactly the right person with exactly the right attitude to carry it off.

Victoria did better than last week with no meltdown, so my conspiracy theory I posed last week seems a bit less likely, but I'm not completely disowning it yet.

Sergio seems almost like a plant who is deliberately trying to make socially conscious people look insufferable. (LIike those one or two vegans or essential oil users in every bunch who lecture everyone.) Someone who actually cared would know better than to tell a woman of color that things were just peachy back in 1950. He does not do his causes any service.

I did like Sergio's look better than Celine Dion's backwards tux. The matte white looked much better than Celine's satin. I wish Bravo would just edit out Sergio's jabbering when it has nothing to do with an actual garment.

Brittany had the same problem that seems to plague every womenswear designer who suddenly tries to make a men's outfit on Project Runway. They always get the collar all weird and they make the lapels wrong.

A man's neck and shoulder line angles must be subtly yet crucially different than a woman's. I've seen all the seasons of this show, and it is so rare for anyone inexperienced at men's wear to do a good men's collar. Brittany is not my favorite, but I sort of like her, so I'm kind of glad she was saved but not over the moon.

@Porcelain, the actual critiques last a lot longer than what they show on TV, so if Bravo WANTED to edit out Sergio's comments they could have.  However, drama sells, so I'm sure they made a point of including that comment.  The thing is, he came up with his "inspiration" and political statement AFTER designing the dress.  It's sorta like me in high school when we had to write something and also turn in our 1st draft.  I always wrote my finished product first and then wrote my 1st draft afterwards.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey @Porcelain @mspatmac @wilma @Luvitorleaveit1 @jellyBEAN  (I hope I got everybody)  I am flabbergasted.  I mented in my original post that this season's PR was still being filmed and would show at Fahsion Week that is going on now.  I didn't even think about Christian designing and showing at NYFW at the same time.  He's got a lot on his plate.  I hope my link doesn't get poofed.  I don't know if USA Today is one of those links that the mods poof for whatever reason, so hopefully you'll get to check it out before it does.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/life/fashion/2020/02/06/new-york-fashion-week-fall-winter-2...

Here's Christian's entire show (it's 20 minutes long): 

https://nyfw.com/designers/christian-siriano/

Esteemed Contributor

I loved  Geoffrey's and would have given him the win.  He reinvented the tuxedo w/out it being too "out there".  Marquise's was very good but didn't care for the skort/skirt aspect.  His jacket was amazing.  Victoria's was nice and Sergio's was OK.  Even with the clips they showed, I really didn't get a close connection to Celine Dion's from several years earlier.  Perhaps I would have if I could have looked at them a bit longer. 

I loved Nancy's design except for the print.  However, it was a pant suit....not a tux and we have seen those pants before. Even coming down the runway, I though Delvin's tux appeared poorly constructed.  I was shocked because that is what he is supposedly known for.  There was some puckering and other things (that I now forget) that gave me that impression.  Brittany's was horrific and I wouldn't have even used my "Save on her". 

I've seen some red carpet and other looks from Christian that I thought were amazing but I was pretty unimpressed with what they showed on WWHL last night.  Meagan Trainor's suit was pretty basic and ugly.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown