Honored Contributor

Project Runway S 1 marathon - Thurs Bravo 6 am-5 pm

[ Edited ]

Where it all began in 2004.  The marathon runs from 6 a.m. until the finale ends at 5 p.m.

First challenge ever on the show:  the supermarket!  Which produced one of the most iconic garments ever in the history of the show.

Spoiler
Austin Scarlett's corn husk dress

If you've never seen season one do!  If you haven't seen it in a long time like me it was a great season!

FYI Wendy Pepper died around the same time as Mychael Knight.  They're the only two PR contestants who passed away.

Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway S 1 marathon - Thurs Bravo 6 am-6 p.m

It's been so long.  I never buy DVDs because I end up not watching them.

Things to remember:

Tim Gunn did not get paid this first season.  It was all so new and it didn't occur to him to ask for money!   The teacher in him, which is what he was, is so evident and he was exuberant for the first ten or so seasons.

THe models were so much better and they were playing too.  Each week the designers got to choose their models, keep them or swap them, winner going first.

10 a.m. has one of my favorite challenges ever -- design your model's ideal wedding gown.  Never forget Morgan, the diva, and the hard time she gave her designer.

The talent level was so high in those days! 

Bye, Daniel Franco!  See you next season, first eliminated designer.  Sigh, see you next season.

Honored Contributor

And Heidi:

She was still a busy supermodel.  She had had her first child the same year Project Runway debuted.  During PR she would marry Seal, have three children with him, and eventually divorce him. 

I remember when she was a Victoria's Secret Angel (and it was for many years while the show was on) she and Seal sang "Wedding Day" as a duet.  She can't sing LOL.

She's always said she wouldn't have any work done, she would age naturally.  Now that she's engaged to a younger man she's clearly broken that pledge.  I still adore and admire her.  I'll miss her on Project Runway.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. 4:30am here and already started,so got it recording.

Honored Contributor

Interesting quick read about why the writer thinks Season 1 was the best:

https://www.vulture.com/2014/11/12-reasons-project-runway-season-1-was-the-best.html

Respected Contributor

I was a fan from the beginning. When they moved to Lifetime I still kept watching but it was never as good. I quit watching consistently a few seasons ago, saw part of one episode this year and that was enough. I’m looking forward to the reboot on Bravo.

Respected Contributor

Re: Project Runway S 1 marathon - Thurs Bravo 6 am-5 pm

[ Edited ]

I'm still p.o.'ed that Austin didn't make it to the finale and Wendy won (may she r.i.p.).  Hers was different but hated it.  Noone liked her and neither did I.  Austin's might have been "usual" but least it was pretty.

Tim and Heidi looked so young! 

Here's a walk down memory lane from season one to season 16.  There are so many that I don't recall. Looks like Anthony Williams lost a lot of weight!  Almost didn't recognize him.

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/Project-Runway-Where-Now-17889204

Honored Contributor

@SWEET 

Honestly I really only loved the five seasons on Bravo.  The eleven on Lifetime were inferior in every way.

Austen did get to show a collection.  He was the original decoy, because of the timing of the show.  No one in the audience knew he wasn't a finalist.  But he got half the budget of the others.  Here is his decoy collection that walked the runway at Fashion Week:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/olympus-fashion-week-fall-2005-austin-scarlett-for-project-runway...

The other good news for Austen is he is by far one of the most successful contestants ever.

Jay turned down the Banana Republic internship like it was a sellout and not a reward, and angered the producers, he went back to his home town and never really went anywhere.  He tried to get back in but he shouldn't have turned down the biggest prize.  

Wendy maintained her small design business we saw in the home visit.  She was able to make a living designing which is more than most.

Kara Saun went back to costumes.

And Austen made it big.  Very big!  He started with wedding gowns and branched out.  His designs are as lovely as ever.  And he even got a limited run show with Santino because they were both so funny, the two of them on the road doing important dresses for regular women.

So for me that's a happily ever after Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Watching this season I've been keeping in mind that Tim didn't get paid.  He didn't think to ask for money and they didn't offer it!  He made up for it in season two because the show was such a huge hit.  He was such a big part of the show's success.

Heidi was young.  Still very big modeling career.  She hadn't married Seal, she would have three more kids in the life of the show, marry Seal, divorce Seal.  She and Tim would end up owning a piece of it.  Not anymore with the new one.

Watch the runway:  Bravo let them choose their own music.  It costs money.  But it's an important element of every runway show.   Lifetime was too cheap and so the final fashion shows were always out of rhythm with the generic music they put under every single collection for eleven seasons.

I've had a blast watching today. 

Now I'm hoping for a marathon of season 2, which was also a terrific season and bonus, had Santino's tales of Andre and Tim at Red Lobster.

Honored Contributor

@SWEET 

I've typed a lot of words and forgot my point:  most people watching thought Austen Scarlett won.  And looking at his collection I wonder if you agree.  I do!

It happened again in season 2.  Finalists were Santino, Daniel V. and winner Chloe Dao.  Kara Janx was the decoy and most people in the tent thought she won.  I liked Santino's but for the fit issues and my next favorite was Kara Janx's.