Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/9 - Back to Bravo - SPOILERS

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@Icegoddess

That's a good question - I am not sure why there were using hot glue guns either.

At one point, just before the runway show, someone appeared to be using a cigarette lighter to burn off the long threads from the hot glue gun that were still on the garment. Those glue guns make such a mess when you are trying to bedazzle anything.

I didn't know feathers should not be used on ice skating outfits - I thought you were making a comment about the designer who keeps using feathers in all his designs - Brandon keeps asking him to give up those feathers!

I must ask our Resident Project Runway Historian and Archivist @LoriLori if that was the first time they showed the designers going out for drinks after an all-day sewing session? I cannot remember ever seeing the designers socialize together in a bar, apart from when they are at a party that is actually a challenge reveal.

Random thoughts...

--I loved Christian's brocade bomber jacket.

--The workroom is in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and right across the alley there was a sign for BURY THE HATCHET. I googled it  - "it's an urban axe-throwing club."

People apparently go there to work off stress by throwing axes at targets. You can't make this stuff up...

@MarnieRez3  - there is one of them about 10 minutes away from where I live.
My future son-in-law is a regional director and every few months he has to come up with something "fun" to do with the directors that are visiting from other regions.  That's what they did last time it was his turn to host the meetings.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter
I love it! I cannot believe I am so out of the loop! How embarrassing!
I honestly thought it was some one-off Brooklyn joint...but apparently it is way more common than I thought.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@MarnieRez3, just so you know, the reason for minus the feathers is because you're really not supposed to have feathers on the ice.  They tend to shed which makes it dangerous if you run over them.  Of course if a bead or sequin falls off that is also a danger, but at least they don't tend to do that as much.  That's also why I mentioned the E6000 glue.  That's what we use to stone our garments and the stones do not fall off, even in the wash.  I'm kinda surprised they're not familiar with it and are so reliant on hot glue.  Surely Mood carries it.  

Why are you assuming they're not familiar with it?  They are given specific tools and can use no others.  They can't even have measuring tapes in the residence, someone once got in trouble for that (on Bravo).

Tim Gunn has addressed glue guns in the past, he wishes they weren't necessary but it's because they don't have much time for the challenges.  There have been many blogs and recaps over the years goofing on them, there have been multiple glue gun mishaps and further comments from Tim but time is tight and they're a necessary evil.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori, I knew glue guns were the weapon of choice, but I figured they could buy E6000 at Mood.  My lone local fabric store sells it.  Also, they bring their own "tools".  That little box they pack up when they get sent home are their own personal tools.  I remember one of the previous project runways where one of the designers showed up without any tools expecting PR to supply said tools. Nope.

Esteemed Contributor

I felt so sorry for Garo in this last episode.....Sonia was unbelieveable........she was pushy, obnoxious and wanted credit for the majority of workmanship......i felt good the times i heard him stand up to her which were quite a few.....

it was his vision and she kept trying to change it.....glad he didn't go along with alot of her ideas.........................

and yes....would love if they say goodbye to Tessa & Hester...was surprised they sent home Renee i thought she had alot of great ideas and potential....it seems they are trying to hold on to Venny even though his creations have been pretty bad...................

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori, I knew glue guns were the weapon of choice, but I figured they could buy E6000 at Mood.  My lone local fabric store sells it.

They can't.  I don't know why.  The rules are strict and they can't have anything in the residence, not even a tape measure.  Some people over the years have snidely referred to unconventional materials challenges as "glue gun challenges." 

I mostly love those challenges but not when designers just glue stuff on, IMO the worst example of that being Vincent's horrible gown with nutty stuff glued on he presented to Catherine Malandrino in Paris.  And he didn't even go home; someone was worse LOL.

Trusted Contributor

@kelsey17 

Yes, agreed, embarrasing behavior from Sonia, whose designs I actually really liked. I thought she AND Renee had great potential to go farther than they did - older women designers get knocked off early on this show, which always frosts me. I suppose the judges are relentlessly looking for young and hip.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori, I knew glue guns were the weapon of choice, but I figured they could buy E6000 at Mood.  My lone local fabric store sells it.

They can't.  I don't know why.  The rules are strict and they can't have anything in the residence, not even a tape measure.  Some people over the years have snidely referred to unconventional materials challenges as "glue gun challenges." 

I mostly love those challenges but not when designers just glue stuff on, IMO the worst example of that being Vincent's horrible gown with nutty stuff glued on he presented to Catherine Malandrino in Paris.  And he didn't even go home; someone was worse LOL.

Without seeing the contract, I don't know that they can't.  I understand they can't have stuff at the residence, but I don't see why they can't buy supplies at Mood that are pertinent to the challenge.  They have to buy all their notions, boning, anything else they need to make their garment. They don't just buy fabric there.  They just never show them shopping for those things.  The one thing I never was sure of was whether they bought dye or if that was provided by PR.  There was one season where one of the designers used a lot of dye (not talking about the dress with the dye packets sewn in).