Honored Contributor

Project Runway 5/9 - Back to Bravo - SPOILERS

Well, it's been quite the Campy week (also reveal-y) what with the Met Costume Institute's Gala kicking off their new exhibition, the theme of which is Camp...

....and coincidentally the challenge tonight being a tie-in with the Elton John bio pic Rocket Man, costuming Elton at his campiest, guest judge costume designer of the film.

The looks:

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-9

Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/9 - Back to Bravo - SPOILERS

It was a close one between Garo and Bishme and the win went to Garo:

Garo Sparo's Episode 9 Design

Honored Contributor

Tonight was the last immunity and Hester might have gone home if she didn't have it. 

I was hoping to see Tessa sent away, because I don't like her:

Tessa Clark's Episode 9 Design

But she was the top of the bottom.

Honored Contributor

And Lela was eliminated:

Lela Orr's Episode 9 Design

Honored Contributor

My thoughts on the designs as the went down the runway. Bolded names were the ones in the top or the bottom.

Bishme: I’m not into the denim, but that’s a good look.  That IS Elton John

Tessa: Not digging it.  Those shades of brown just are too blah.

Venny:  Hating the trains off the boots.  I knew I wouldn’t like the red/white/blue color scheme when he mentioned it, and I was right. His reveal looked like he was channeling a Chippendales show, not an Elton John one..

Hester:  Oh, Lord, No!  And she knows it.  Was the jacket the whole costume?  She didn’t need the jacket to design the rest of the outfit, just to finish the jacket.  I really thought this was going to be a good challenge for Hester.

Sebastian:  Looks more Elvis than Elton John.  Also, why did he let those wings hang there so droopy like that.  They needed to stand up.  Looked like a fallen angel that couldn’t get up.

Jamall:  I don’t know what to think about that one.  Over the top, but NOT Elton John to me.  Loved the Super Chicken comment.  But the judges did like it.  I think it was the exaggerated volume that Nina liked so much that turned me off.

Lela:  That’s pretty bad.  The fit is bad, and why did she pick that fabric.  It looked soooo cheap.

Garo:  That’s a winner!  Look at Nina smile.

Hai Trim & Feathers - a Figure Skater’s dream (minus the feathers) - Bookmarked.

Shoulda bought some E6000 glue instead of relying on hot glue.

I swear, every week I love Christian a little more.

Sonia was brought in as a helper.  I don’t see why she should expect any credit.  None of the other designers gave their helpers any credit unless that ended up on the cutting room floor because they just wanted to highlight the drama between Sebastian and Sonia.  And even though he didn’t give her credit for the cod piece, the things she mentioned to him about draping stuff he DID give her credit for.

That look Tessa gave after she was told she was in…..She didn’t look relieved at all. It looked like “I knew you wouldn’t send ME home.  I’m just too good to be sent home.”

Honored Contributor

Well I have to say I enjoyed the whole show and thought the judging was spot on.  Garo's outfit was incredible and deserved the win but man Bishme's just screamed Elton.  I am a huge Elton John fan and could totally see him wearing that.

Brandon didn't disappoint.  When he said he would shove his 205 pound frame into Bishme's look I almost spit my drink out and Christian is just the very, very best.

It was a good show and I am looking forward to next week.

Respected Contributor

I just wrote a reply and the topic disappeared on me.  Weird.  Anyway I am very happy for Garo.  I liked the denim outfit as well, it really did look like an outfit EJ would have worn during the 70's (giving away my age here).  But Garo's was just over the top, outrageous, but in a good way.  I think that was his first win wasn't it?  The outfit with the cut out mask thing and puffy shape was just plain weird imo.  EJ couldn't possibly give a concert wearing a mask like that, he'd get so hot and pass out.

Yeah, Hester was SO lucky she had immunity.  Didn't they comment that it looked like a Thanksgiving Day turkey?  That was funny.  Hester seems to do really well or really bad, no in-between with her.  And Tessa with her flappy straps and unfinished hems again.  I thought the pants were an odd fit in the front area. But the other two losers were even worse with the trailing bell bottoms and that blue fringey mess.

I also agree that Sebastian's costume reminded me more of Elvis than EJ.  I thought he would be in trouble because they seemed to focus on him a lot during the show.  And Garo's helper getting upset because she didn't get as much credit as she felt she deserved for his design?  Didn't think she was like that.  He had a vision and the design and I also thought the material looked really nice.  Anyway I'm glad he won and I njoyed that challenge.  Can't wait for the movie!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN, you may have commented on my post.  I don't think LoriLori saw that I had posted it and posted her own, so I just copied my comments and added them here and deleted my original post.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@jellyBEAN, you may have commented on my post.  I don't think LoriLori saw that I had posted it and posted her own, so I just copied my comments and added them here and deleted my original post.

Yes, that's what happened.  I was going to tell you we agreed on pretty much everything cept I think I liked the denim outfit a little more than you did.  It was definitely a design he would have worn in the 70's before he started to put on a little weight.  I'm looking forward to seeing this movie and I hope there is a lot of music in it.  I love 'Madman Across the Water' and 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' both early albums of his. Cat Very Happy

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN, I really liked the outfit, just wasn't into the denim so much at first blush.  However, when it came out on the runway it was obviously Elton John, and I'm glad it got high marks.