Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/30 - Back to Bravo - SPOILERS

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Yahooey,   Oh, gosh!   I haven't thought about the Chicago cows in a long time!   I'm jealous of your Frank Lloyd Wright tours.   Such fun to read your museum memories!   One of my favorite shows was at the Chicago Art Museum, a Van Gogh and Gauguin exhibit offering a look into their time together and the work they produced at that moment in time.   The Field Museum always lured me into the Hall of Gems...   In Florence, the Uffizi is my favorite.   In Paris, the Musée d'Orsay...   and, of course, the Louvre, and Sainte-Chapelle's windows.   I've spent countless hours in all of the Smithsonian museums and galleries -- many trips there for work and for pleasure, and I don't think I ever missed visiting part of the Smithsonian offerings.    Love the Corcoran, too.   NYC...  gosh, hard to pick!   ​ The Met's Cloisters and the Guggenheim are 2 favorites, but there's so much to see at every turn in that wonderful city.   

For performing arts, for years I loved attending the magnificent Charleston, S.C., Spoleto Festival.   That's a brilliantly creative atmosphere that makes me wish I could live there...  I'd enjoy being a part of the volunteer team involved year-round.   I want to add that we have some lovely local museums and galleries, and also exhibits at nearby universities -- the students and faculty are gifted, and often overlooked.    Thanks for your post!    Sorry to go on and on!   You've really got me inspired, now!thumbs up gif  

@Yahooeycan you believe our friend @dooBdoo had the nerve to mention Van Gogh and Gauguin in the same sentence as our fabulous Chicago Cows?  HEE!  Those were so great.  So much kvetching before they finally planted them on Michigan Avenue and then everyone went nuts.  They were stunned at the extra tourist revenue they generated.  That's ok, it gave the staff at the wonderful Chicago Art Museum a well deserved break! 

Trusted Contributor

@Yahooey
Thank you for posting the documentary...I too am intrigued by your repulsion!
@LoriLori
Thank you for this CFDA awards wrap...yay Brandon Maxwell! He seems genuinely stunned!
Two words: Christian's Shoes! Oh. My. God. Golden shine spats? Yes please!
Sending you all lots of finale love! ❤
Honored Contributor

Are the Tonys and PR on the same night?

Bob M for the win - fingers crossed

doesn't matter - I always watch on DVR

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey, the Tonys are always on a Sunday night and thanks, I'm jazzed, I didn't realize it's this coming Sunday.

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3   Brandon was genuinely surprised.  The awards are a surprise except for the icon ones.

@momtochloe   @Luvitorleaveit1  @Yahooey  @dooBdoo 

Another view of Christian and Ashley, who together presented the six scholarships awards given by the CFDA.

Image result for cfda 2019 christian siriano ashley graham

He captioned a photo on his Instagram:

"She showed up for the funeral to COLLECT THE CHECK!"

Honored Contributor

So, back on the Dream Dress Challenge.  Did anybody notice Garo called his dress color heliotrope rather than purple?  If you're not a gardener you might not recognize the name.  This is heliotrope in my garden. 

Heliotrope.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I never heard of that before and googled. Fragrant and toxic to dogs.

What does it smell like? Does it spread like Lilies of the Valley - they smell nice too.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@Icegoddess @momtochloe @LoriLori @dooBdoo @MarnieRez3 

if you have 45 minutes - an interesting 2013 video of Haute Couture 

I am repulsed and intrigued at the same time

https://youtu.be/Wqkgo6fV8q8

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 5.11.15 AM.png

also @Luvitorleaveit1   @mousiegirl 

Yahooey, first, thank you so much!!!  I just watched it.

Fascinating!  And in a crowded field of fashion documentaries, utterly unique.

It focuses on a secretive private club comprised of a group of women into which one must be invited working with French couture designers to acquire haute couture fashions. 

(Haute couture is a legal term France, where the government issues licenses for those who meet rigorous standards. Haute couture in France goes back to the 1800s. This is me, not the doc, which doesn't waste time on history except of garments.)

These women are very, very wealthy but they're not household names nor do they seek publicity.  Invitation requires deep knowledge of and love of couture, contemporary and historical, and wearing the clothes.  They are in it for purely for the art of fashion.

Only two designers agreed to be in it, the now-disgraced John Galliano and Chanel's Karl Lagerfeld.  Watching it it I was reminded of Paris FW, not long after his death, where models walked in the last collection he designed and sobbed at the end of the runway.

We see Chanel's staircase. We are taken to the off-premises haute couture space which is just for working with feathers.

(That blew my mind but also reminded me of the workers from UK's Royal School of Needlework, expert lacemakers who created the lace appliques for Kate Middleton's wedding gown and elite seamstresses who hand-sewed them on and were made to wash their hands every half hour.)

Few women would speak. We don't even know exactly how they're invited in and I'm not sure they do either.  It involves the breadth and depth of their knowledge of haute couture and also having discreetly raised massive amounts for charity (one woman has a section of the Met named for her and her husband).

They buy the clothes to collect but also to wear. They view them as the art pieces they are, and they eventually are donated to museums.

I've deleted a lot because I don't want to give it away, hoping you'll watch. I sat transfixed throughout. 

Dahlings, I think everyone who can spare 45 minutes to watch will be glad they did.

And now Yahooey, I'm even more curious to know in what way you were "repulsed."  

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@Icegoddess 

I never heard of that before and googled. Fragrant and toxic to dogs.

What does it smell like? Does it spread like Lilies of the Valley - they smell nice too.

@Yahooey, They are annuals, so would need to be replanted every year. Mine is not particularly fragrant; I didn't buy it for fragrance. It is in my pollinator garden, so I didn't even think about scent, but was more interested in a plant that would attract butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds.  I'm slowly building that garden so need annuals for fillers.

My Lily of the valley is not aggressive like it is in other gardens, but I am having to dig some of it out of the bluebells now.  

I'm thinking Garo was also the one who had Save the Bees as his cause for that challenge, so it makes sense that he would think of flowers for his color choices.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'm thinking Garo was also the one who had Save the Bees as his cause for that challenge, so it makes sense that he would think of flowers for his color choices.

Quite possibly.  They're very pretty, Ice. 

Pantone has heliotrope as an official fashion/home furnishings color.  There also is or was fabric in heliotrope at Mood.  Perhaps he would have done better in the challenge had he opted for that or another garden color instead of that horrid yellow.