Trusted Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/23 - Back to Bravo! - SPOILERS

@tipsy 

AGREE with you 100 percent - NO WHINERS! I appreciate someone standing up for their design, BUT EVERY time Tessa is challenged, she THROWS SOMEONE ELSE UNDER THE BUS! This week, I was happy that Garo called her out on that - she said, (paraphrasing) "Everyone here uses that hem tape." Okay, but I would respect her so much more if she said, "You are right, Brandon, this is not my best work and I hope, if I stay, that I can show you more impressive skills."

She blames all her bad designs and bad fabric choices on OTHER PEOPLE....i.e...She doesn't do "custom work," she doesn't dress curvy models, she doesn't like pink, blah, blah, blah.....She is SO heavily-defended.

I love posters on all these threads who say, "Hey, I made a mistake!" I personally make mistakes all the time and I appreciate people who say, "I hope I can do better next time!" Those words don't make you weak, Tessa...it shows you are open and willing to learn.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

If you want to see comments (nasty ones mostly about Tessa), go to Project Runway on Bravo on their Facebook page.  LOL.

@SWEET, You're talking about the page rather than the group, right?  The group is a Public group, so you can also read comments without being a member of the group.  I noticed Jamall is currently a member of the group although he said he would probably leave soon because they were the most hateful group.  In the same post he talked about his time on PR (no details) and appreciation of the experience.

The page is called Project Runway on Bravo.  I didn't see Jamall's comments since there are so many comments and don't have the time or patience to read them all and a lot of them are the same ones over and over in different words. 

@SWEET, it was the group that Jamall is in.  The page you don't join, but if you "Like" it it'll shows up in your newsfeed whenever there's a new post.  The Group is called Project Runway on Bravo Official Group, thus the confusion.  It's a Public group which I don't like because all your friends might be subjected to your comments in it.  One reason I join groups is because I assume my friends aren't interested in the same things I am so wouldn't be interested in my comments.  So, I pretty much stick with Closed groups.

That is a different one.  I stopped following because too many posts pop up after the show ends and I DVR it and don't want to see spoilers.

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@tipsy 

AGREE with you 100 percent - NO WHINERS! I appreciate someone standing up for their design, BUT EVERY time Tessa is challenged, she THROWS SOMEONE ELSE UNDER THE BUS! This week, I was happy that Garo called her out on that - she said, (paraphrasing) "Everyone here uses that hem tape." Okay, but I would respect her so much more if she said, "You are right, Brandon, this is not my best work and I hope, if I stay, that I can show you more impressive skills."

She blames all her bad designs and bad fabric choices on OTHER PEOPLE....i.e...She doesn't do "custom work," she doesn't dress curvy models, she doesn't like pink, blah, blah, blah.....She is SO heavily-defended.

I love posters on all these threads who say, "Hey, I made a mistake!" I personally make mistakes all the time and I appreciate people who say, "I hope I can do better next time!" Those words don't make you weak, Tessa...it shows you are open and willing to learn.

Part of the challenge of PR is to get the designers to think outside their wheelhouse.  Tessa refuses to do so.  She only designs to her own aesthetic, and somehow thinks if she lies about it everybody will believe her.  Even after Nina called her out on the client wanting pink, she kept lying about it.  Maybe she convinces herself that it's the truth.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess
Yes, I was so happy, Ice Ice Baby, to see they actually replayed the clip of what the client wanted...it made it clear Tessa was lying.
Maybe PR should do a lot more challenges with real-sized men and women and less with size 000 professional models since designing for real bodies seems so much more difficult. It's not that hard to make Winnie Harlow or Karlie Kloss look stunning.
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

Yes, I was so happy, Ice Ice Baby, to see they actually replayed the clip of what the client wanted...it made it clear Tessa was lying.

Maybe PR should do a lot more challenges with real-sized men and women and less with size 000 professional models since designing for real bodies seems so much more difficult. It's not that hard to make Winnie Harlow or Karlie Kloss look stunning.

@MarnieRez3   this was going to be my topic for the week LOL, school and the challenges, and since what you said is so relevant I will repeat a post from  I don't remember what week that the CFDA is only now working with a plus-size manufacturer to develop a curriculum in designing for plus-size and designing beyond size 2.

They are not taught that in school.  Most have never done it before.  So until it's taught I give them leeway on that one, it's a big curveball and some have adjusted well to this strange new skill under the intense pressure of short deadlines and competition.

Honored Contributor

Before I go there can I just say how much I LOVED catching up on last week's thread and

@Yahooey  @MarnieRez3   @mtc   @DrKelli   @Icegoddess 

and anyone I'm forgetting apologies because I can't be on two threads at once  --

I LOVED THAT THREAD SO MUCH!!!!  BEST THREAD EVER (for me). 

Thanks for all the laughs and the fun!  From PR to Lady Lucile to Isadora Duncan and the awesome mystery series that Yahoeey created inspired by that death by scarf -- 

You're all amazing!!!!   Heart

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Part of the challenge of PR is to get the designers to think outside their wheelhouse.  Tessa refuses to do so.  She only designs to her own aesthetic, and somehow thinks if she lies about it everybody will believe her.  Even after Nina called her out on the client wanting pink, she kept lying about it.  Maybe she convinces herself that it's the truth.

@Icegoddess 

I don't agree at all.  They're given two, at most three days to create a garment, over the years one day sometimes.  Some haven't gone to school and I'll get to that next.

I think the aim of Project Runway is to throw challenges at people who are cast because they seem to have talent and see what they do with these challenges.

They do or don't have to leave their wheelhouse.  Making similar garments every week doesn't mean you stay in your wheelhouse.  Christian was called Princess Puffysleeves on line and all his garments had a POV uniquely his except the real woman challenge, where he listened to his client as disappointed as he was in what she wanted.

Winners Jeffrey, Leanne and Seth Aaron also stayed in their wheelhouses.  Mondo did too. 

They're never asked to abandon their POV -- just to keep creating and not repetitive.  The challenges aren't meant to trip them up but see how they do they handle the challenges under hte pressure of the cameras with short time constraints.

And of course it's mainly a way to make money for the network and hopefully, hopefully find a gem.  But Christian won't ever happen again

Honored Contributor

And now, want to hear what anyone and everyone thinks.

I posted at some point about Tim's repeated comments that every designer on Project Runway should be required to have graduated school.  He said it in at least one of his three books, he said it in interviews, he may have said it in that awful WaPo op-ed about the plus-size winner.

Since then I've seen one of those town halls with a candidate.  And someone got up and asked a question:

"What are you going to do to help me with college debt?  I just graduated FIT in NY and I have $100,000 in debt.

Honored Contributor

Now, FIT is the best school in the country.  But still.  $100,000?  I was astonished.

And since I like to follow breadcrumbs I went to their web site to learn more.

And learned there are two types of degrees they offer:  an Associate's and a Bachelor's.  Indeed you can get a one-year Associates or a post-four-year BFA.  What a big difference!

I know this takes time but it's so worth a look..  

Here are the curricula.  I was surprised at the specificity of it only because I've never given it a thought.

http://www.fitnyc.edu/fashion-design/program/curriculum.php

I was also surprised (why would I know this stuff?  I'm so glad I looked) to learn there are two totally separate tracks:

Fashion Design - Art

Fashion Design - Apparel

Here are the classes you must or may take on the Fashion Design - Apparel track with distinction between the AA and BFA:

https://catalog.fitnyc.edu/undergraduate/courses/fd/

Here are the classes you must or may take for the Fashion Art track with distinction between the AA and BFA:

https://catalog.fitnyc.edu/undergraduate/courses/ff/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is such a surprise to me.  No wonder that woman had $100,000 in student loans (hopefully took the post BFA track).

Having no idea about Fashion School I had no idea about the two tracks and their different focuses, and the specificity of the classes they take.  

It explains a lot.  And makes Tim's comments seem not just cranky but random because Apparel and Art are so different AND a one-year AA is not akin to a two-year AA let alone a four-year BFA or a five-year BFA.

And at the same time Tim's comments show why the self-taught competitors are at such a disadvantage and rarely get far.