Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/23 - Back to Bravo! - SPOILERS

I've been so looking forward to final challenge described on Wikipedia as:

"t's the last challenge to determine which four designers will move on to the finale;

They must create their biggest and best looks as well as designing experimental art installations; with rapper Cardi B and Bergdorf Goodman's Linda Fargo"

But that was one scary promo!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Whoever had the cell phone they have to be with a producer and have permission to make the call.  From time to time they used to show calls home, can't remember if they have.  No cell phones or otherr devices so no Googling.

@LoriLori, yeah, I know.  That was why I was surprised to see one in the penthouse.  That was how they received their instructions on where to go to lfind out about their next challenge.  It was made to look like it was just someone's phone, but we know that's not true.  I have to wonder if one of the building crew just hands the phone to someone and then films them reading the message to the rest of the contestants.  In previous seasons, they got their instructions some other way that didn't involve cell phones.

Honored Contributor

Tessa is the ultimate petulant child - she never listens to critques and always fails to see her own shortcomings. You can hear the whining...so and so does it too and why am I always singled out. 

when the judges especially Brandon talks to her - she hears

https://youtu.be/q_BU5hR9gXE

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori, yeah, I know.  That was why I was surprised to see one in the penthouse.  That was how they received their instructions on where to go to lfind out about their next challenge.  It was made to look like it was just someone's phone, but we know that's not true.  I have to wonder if one of the building crew just hands the phone to someone and then films them reading the message to the rest of the contestants.  In previous seasons, they got their instructions some other way that didn't involve cell phones.

Darn, I just edited that post to say something else.

Anyway:  They're surrounded by crew in the penthouse.  No one can get away with anything while the crew is there and no doubt they collect the phones as they leave.  

When Keith got caught with the pattern books, it was without crew present because his roommates saw them without production present, either late at night or early in the morning.

Same many seasons later with the twin that was kicked off for having a tape measure in her room.  The crew doesn't sleep there -- but her roommate squealed and auf she was sent auf.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Darn, I just edited that post to say something else.

Anyway:  They're surrounded by crew in the penthouse.  No one can get away with anything while the crew is there and no doubt they collect the phones as they leave.  

When Keith got caught with the pattern books, it was without crew present because his roommates saw them without production present, either late at night or early in the morning.

Same many seasons later with the twin that was kicked off for having a tape measure in her room.  The crew doesn't sleep there -- but her roommate squealed and auf she was sent auf.

@LoriLori My understanding is they take their phones away from them when they show up for the show.  That way there is no temptation to sneak in a call or Google or something.  Of course the producer was there when they got the text message since it was on-camera.  Those phone calls home were always done from a private room off the work-room and I would imagine it is a PR phone, not theirs.  They actually schedule those to make sure the person they want to talk to is available.  I also read an interview with a former staff member who talked about how they held the info about Michael Jackson dying until after a challenge had been completed because of concerns that it might somehow impact someone's design.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  no they allow them to call home in the presence of crew and producers.

Night!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure some designers feel all they need to do is design - they are not seamstresses. They have the grandiose ideas. Difference is that if you know the fundamentals of how a fabric drapes, how you should cut the fabric (I'm sure there is a right and wrong way much like cutting meat against the grain). The underconstruction, foundation or there lackof is what did the puffer man in.

Christian worked for many of the great houses and learned construction. The great Alexander McQueen learned construciton. Without proper construction, it looks like a limp dishrag.

When the judges compared the finishing between the chiffons - it was sheer perfection. Oh, wait Tessa's thing is unfinished edging. Like mine is flat soufles (never made a soufflé - just being dramatic cause that's my thing lol)

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Icegoddess  no they allow them to call home in the presence of crew and producers.

Night!

@LoriLori, I think you misunderstood me.  I meant a private room with film crew and/or producers present.  I knew they weren't getting to make totally private phone calls, but they were in a private room as in the rest of the designers working in the workroom wouldn't be able to hear their conversation.  Could you imagine Tessa hanging out by the door?  Have a good night.  I know it's later there.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey  Amen!

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm sure some designers feel all they need to do is design - they are not seamstresses. They have the grandiose ideas. Difference is that if you know the fundamentals of how a fabric drapes, how you should cut the fabric (I'm sure there is a right and wrong way much like cutting meat against the grain). The underconstruction, foundation or there lackof is what did the puffer man in.

Christian worked for many of the great houses and learned construction. The great Alexander McQueen learned construciton. Without proper construction, it looks like a limp dishrag.

When the judges compared the finishing between the chiffons - it was sheer perfection. Oh, wait Tessa's thing is unfinished edging. Like mine is flat soufles (never made a soufflé - just being dramatic cause that's my thing lol)

@Yahooey, part of design is knowing how different fabrics would affect said design and how to design the construction.  A designer can't just hand a drawing to their seamstress and expect them to make it work.  Well, with a good seamstress they probably could, but the really good ones wouldn't dare.  That under construction is often what separates a good designer and a mediocre one.  Seamstresses may do the final work, but the designer will show them exactly how they want it done.

If Tessa wants her thing to be unfinished edges, then she needs to learn what fabrics won't ravel with unfinished edges.  I think neoprene might be a good choice since I think it actually doesn't lend itself to hemming due to thickness.  So, apparently my signature "thing" is one or two seams sewn on the outside of the garment since that happens almost every time I sew something.  I even stoned part of a hankerchief hem on the wrong side once.