Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/16 - Back to Bravo! - SPOILERS

@LoriLori, I don't know if you would consider the San Antonio Current a reputable rag, but there's an interview there with Tim Gunn where he also mentions spending hours watching the designers from the production room.

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/qanda-with-tim-gunn/Content?oid=2241566

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori, I don't know if you would consider the San Antonio Current a reputable rag, but there's an interview there with Tim Gunn where he also mentions spending hours watching the designers from the production room.

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/qanda-with-tim-gunn/Content?oid=2241566

Yes, based on your sources I was wrong. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Here's where I'm coming from: 

Not everything that's been attributed to him is accurate or true.

The can't be just one 'camera room" or even a production room.  If there's some sad small room production assistants run in and out of where the camera feeds are on and Tim is sitting there, that's sad.

You know they work until midnight.  I hope he has a life!  After the show's initial huge success he had a huge life.  With time it's gotten smaller.  But sitting watching camera feeds at 10?  That makes me sad if it's true.

But he's said other things that are exaggerations.  Does anyone think Kors, Nina, Heidi, Zac Posen have six or seven hours to spend on judging?

Not to mention people who judged including Diane von Furstenberg, Richard Tyler, Carolina Herrera, Herve Legere, Vera Wang, etc. etc. etc.

No way these people have that kind of time, not even close.

BWT the judging for season 5 he says was tampered with:  I just checked and Jennifer Lopez canceled as finale judge and who filled in -- Tim.  And he doesn't seem like the type for compromising his principles.

Unfortunately in my travels I ran across lots of other stuff he's said.  That's much more interesting to me and maybe others reading tihs so below:

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The story Tim tells about Anna Wintour, they left out the most interesting part we knew about and left in something we learn that wasn't even in her biography:

Because he spoke about Anna Wintour being carried down the steps at the Met Gala (and she is the head, and there aren't that many elevators), because he spoke about the Met Gala at all, he is banned for life.

Anna's rules.  Lots of people are banned.  Some have been un-banned.  

But Tim is adding fuel to the fire.  Talking about that event where she was giving him looks from another table where he sat with her daughter.  .

We, the public, have not seen Anna Wintour without her sunglasses.  Because she's Anna Wintour and she doesn't feel like it.  And now we know she takes them off inside.  [ETA, to be clear:  Kidding!!!!!  She takes them off all the time!]

And she's done so much for the Met Costume Institute I'm disappointed Tim took that shot (in his autobiography, which I read) and continues to take it. 

Just as I was disappointed he took out that op-ed because he didn't like the plus-size winner.  No one did.  But it's not professional, it's not classy, it's not the Tim we think we know to do stuff like that.  I know he was super burnt out.

And I ran into a bunch of other stuff he's said to magazines where I just look at the covers and don't read.  I'm using a spoiler box because I'm sorry I saw this stuff and I'm sure there's a lot more and for me it's TMI about Tim (an anagram!):

Spoiler
he's said terrible things about Isaac Mizrahi; he's criticized other specific Project Runway contestants --

Ice, if you repeat the first one please use a spoiler box, people really may not want to know that.

Tim wrote and has said --  and this blew me away but it's in one of the other two books of his I didn't read -- that anyone who did not graduate design school for fashion should not be cast on Project Runway.

Whoa!  If everyone else hasn't tuned out this whole discussion, I would love to know what people think about that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Next week we get to see Christian's atelier -- and the store I didn't even know he has there -- when in the "real woman" challenge they dress "civic workers from the post office, sanitation dept., FDNY, NYPD and more..."

This is Sebastian's chance to shine. 

There's only two more episodes (saving Cardi B's for last!) and I really want to see Sebastian maket the finale, I want to see his collection.

I'm actually looking forward to next week as I was thrilled to see we get a peek into Christian's studio (yay!) and then next week I literally cannot wait for CardiB as I can't even imagine how much fun she will be!

I know I am an unabashed fan of Sebastian and haven't always been happy with the end results of each episode.  I think Sebastian and Christian have a bit of symmetry between their design styles and I so hope he is one of the finalists.

I don't see the symmetry between Sebastian and Christian  --

-- here's the part I left out (from Wikipedia, which I've been stalking to find out the challenges all season and now to find out where the finale runway show will be!  Where where where LOL?):

The dresses for the civil servants are to be their "dream dress."  Which is why I think it's Sebastian's challenge. 

I hope they dream big and have decent taste, this far in the game if they're not or they're fight-y, those real people challenges are risks, that would be awful!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  here's the details on the Cardi B challenge from Wikipedia:

"It's the last challenge to determine which four designers will move on to the finale; they must create their biggest and best looks as well as designing experimental art installations with Cardi B and Bergdorf Goodman's Linda Fargo."

So Hester won't be eliminated next week because they've got to keep her for Cardi B.  

I wonder about the others.  No clue how they'll do, what they'll do:

Not Tessa, don't care

Bishme -- who is self taught and so by Tim Gunn's Rules he shouldn't be there at all, grrrrrr -- the art part but crossing fingers

Jamall, like you said, step away from the puffer, haha, Cardi B was the time to use it , her Met Gala gown was stuffed with down, puffer camp LOL

Sebastian and Cardi B?  Oy...Sebastian and Bergdorf's, yes

Hester and Cardi B, yes.  Hester and Bergdorf's?  Oy!!!!

These next two both sound exciting and a little scary.

Honored Contributor

And this, @MarnieRez3 , wherever you've been, the trivia I spoke of, thinking of the runway show reminded me:

The most popular designer of her time was Lady Cosmo Duff-Gordon.  I've studied the Titanic and this was a meeting of two of my bigger interests:

Her first name was Lucy (a few other last names along the way don't matter to the story).

She started as a dressmaker and ended up London's most successfuil designer and said to be one of the greatest designers in the world.  Her business partner was Sir Cosmo Duff-Gorrdon who she later married.

At her couture atelier in London, The House of Lucille, she dressed everyone who mattered including the woman who would become Queen Mary.  She also had ones in Paris and NY.  She dressed Hollywood stars too.

Image result for lady lucy duff gordon

Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon survived the Titanic because in the chaos the lifeboats were not loaded properly or fairly.  They were in Lifeboat 1, the first sent down, in a panicked hurry with only 12 people in it instead of 50.  Her husband was allowed in the lifeboat with her.

Panic was an understatement including on the part of those loading the lifeboats.  Sadly on the other side Jacob Aster, richest man in the world, was not allowed to get in with his pregnant young wife, despite all his pleas.  Sometimes you're just on the wrong side of the Titanic.  Fate.

Honored Contributor

So Lucy Duff-Gordon invented the professional models.  She called them "live mannequins."

And she invented what we know as the modern runway show with its special music, lighting, theatricality and artistry. This happened at private teas.  

Models and The Runway.  She did it.  And most people don't know her name and if they do it's for them surviving the Titanic, which is a very good thing for fashion.

Esteemed Contributor

Wish they would vote off Tessa.....she really is so phony.

Don;t believe much of what comes out of her mouth ......and i thought it was ironic how she hoped her full size model would "understand" her sad story............i am sure that model remembers Tessa talking down to her when she was her model the last time...............

I watch quite  few of these reality shows... and one thing i can't take is when a person isn't doing well...all of a sudden

they are confessing to the world how sad and discriminatory their lives have been.....and tears to follow....the sad part is that there are times IT WORKS!!!'

i hate to say it ....but EVERYONE has gone through hard times in life...i don't know anyone who has breezed through..................hate seeing it used to further oneself...

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
LoriX2, "Ice" and all the wonderful posters on this thread...just catching up now...had family visiting here this weekend. Pass the Scotch please! 🙃
LoriX2...this is fascinating about Lucy Duff-Gordon! How is she still so unknown after all these years? I had never heard of her...love the photo...and she is responsible for live models and runways as we know them? That IS incredible trivia. And the Titanic connection...wow. Love the way it combines two of your passions. Thank you for sharing it with us!