Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 5/16 - Back to Bravo! - SPOILERS

@Icegoddess wrote:

I saw in an article somewhere about the old PR that Tim would spend a lot more time with the contestants than what ends up in the edit.  It even gave an amount of time, but I don't remember how long it was.  We must remember that this is reality TV and the producers are manipulating us by what they acually show us.  

I do love Christian and his delivery, but I don't necessarily think one is better than the other.  Just different.  And it ends up being what the designer decides to do or not do with that advice.  I don't think sexuality or lack thereof has anything to do with it.  

@Icegoddess 

In Tim's autobiography he said he was with them "constantly" it was a poor choice of a single word that was misinterpreted by many to mean he was literally there all the time  (I took it that way too).  So maybe the idea he spent more time there is based on that. 

Or maybe it's true because he had so much more free time.  Once he stopped teaching it was his only job.  Like I said the Liz Claiborne thing lasted notime.  Christian OTOH is so busy, so involved in many things, and yet he's grateful the show and the world, really, and makes the time.

As for Tim's sexuality he's openly gay.  Again, "asexuality" is his word but it's not the right word, he's gay and asexual.  It's not that he's never had a relationship.  It's that has zero sex drive.  Over 30 years without sex, more now because It's in his autobiography.  He's literally buttoned up. 

And I think the visual arts is a place where that matters.  Maybe moreso than fashion because we all get to express ourselves by what we wear.  

[I'm excited to see how he does on the Amazon show,, especially if it's live.  Can't wait, for multiple reasons and I adore Tim.]

But Christian blows him away.  His education in design.  His experiences, especially the internships with McQueen and Westwood.  His marketing genius (that's what Tim was meant to bring to Liz Claiborne and didn't because he doesn't have the instincts).  And most of all his brilliant fashion design and sparkling personality.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I shouldn't have said Christian is much better than Tim -

I prefer Christian to Tim. Tim is a man of few words and I mostly see him deep in thought  regarding a design. Also, and only IMHO I remember certain phrasess, frumpy, poor fabric choice and of course the imfamous 'make it work'.

I see Christian having more input than Tim. Perhaps Tim wasn't suppose to guide them as much as I see Christian doing now. Is that cheating? I don't know. We all agree that the many hours of taping, only PR chooses to let us see what they want us to see. Whether, it be drama in the workroom etc.

I didn't know Heidi and Tim have a new show - so I wish them well as I din enjoy them very much.

I do miss Michael Kors wit - don't know much about Elaine (keep forgetting her name) and doesn't do anything for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I can't find the original article since now we have Season 17 everything Google spits out at me is either about Season 17 or about Tim & Heidi not being on Season 17.  But, I did find this old interview with Tim Gunn that mentions how much time he spends in the workroom.  I think there's a typo which should read that the show gives the impression he's NOT in the workroom very much.  Otherwise, the sentence would not make sense.  ETA:  The article I found awhile back about how much time Tim spent with each contestant was one of those behind the scenes type of articles.

"Gunn said though the show gives the impression he’s in the design room quite a bit, he actually spends hours there. And when he’s not in there, he’s in the production room watching. He also said the time it takes to do the fashion show and elimination is six or seven hours but is cut to about 20 minutes of actual airtime."

Here's a link to the article.  The videos mentioned apparently are no longer there:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/interview-with-project-runway-guru-tim-gunn-georgia-state/XPAx3...

Honored Contributor

And another article I found quite interesting, especially the part about not being able to even talk to each other in the apartment.  Also, that the eliminated designers travel around with all the current contestants so that nobody who might happen to see them during production will know who had been cut when the show airs.  So, why are they so excited to see each other when they bring them back to help?  Enquiring minds.

https://www.palmspringslife.com/project-runway-what-the-tv-cameras-dont-show/

I guess the other question would be whether all of this is true for the current season since their current apartment has an outside deck and it appears they are all together in one big apartment.  How do you not talk amongst yourselves but then only have conversations for the camera?

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I shouldn't have said Christian is much better than Tim -

I prefer Christian to Tim. Tim is a man of few words and I mostly see him deep in thought  regarding a design. Also, and only IMHO I remember certain phrasess, frumpy, poor fabric choice and of course the imfamous 'make it work'.

I see Christian having more input than Tim. Perhaps Tim wasn't suppose to guide them as much as I see Christian doing now. Is that cheating? I don't know. We all agree that the many hours of taping, only PR chooses to let us see what they want us to see. Whether, it be drama in the workroom etc.

I didn't know Heidi and Tim have a new show - so I wish them well as I din enjoy them very much.

I do miss Michael Kors wit - don't know much about Elaine (keep forgetting her name) and doesn't do anything for me.

@Yahooey  It will star Heidi and Tim and be made by Amazon for Prime viewers (which is not limited to the U.S.).  It will be live.   In a press release Amazon Studios said they "will create a shoppable experience for viewers."

Casting call went out.  This article gives more details and is worth a read or a skim.  

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/heidi-klum-tim-gunn-amazon-fashion-show-casting-1203109785/

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Re your posts about Tim in the workroom and sequester, designers not being able to speak to one another, etc.:

On last week's thread I posted about the eliminated designers except Sonia must have been happy to be let out of sequester. Maybe you skipped that post.  They are always on the premises kept separately.  Otherwise spoilers.

In season one they had a challenge where the garments were displayed and the public voted. Once they had a challenge with an outdoor fashion show. I'm sure there are more examples, these come to mind.

Every eliminated designer had to be there and produce a garment or everyone there would have known who was eliminated. So yes, the elminated contestants are sequestered.

Same with the decoy at Fashion Week which grew from one or two on Bravo to on Lifetime eight or more.

The designers since episode one season one were and are allowed to talk to each other at the residence. They've always shown them doing it. Fights. People ironing. Having coffee. Talking about each other.

The difference was they were always roommates and as people were eliminated the ones left were moved into the same rooms and the sequestered ones were roomed together.

Now the eliminated designers are probably still there hiding from the camera (a waste of money to move them with that big loft and anyway, they all have to travel together all the time)  and I know they're kept in a room together at the studio all the time.  

They get to come out for the public challenges and they get to come out to help the others.  Otherwise they're sequestered on site.

On Bravo they had the workroom at Parsons, where Tim was teaching at Parsons. Much easier for him. Moreso starting in season two when they began paying him.

(Parsons was not their first choice, they were turned down, and a bunch of other people were asked before Tim and they also turned them down.)

Post-Bravo (but not because of Lifetime), some season on Lifetime, Parsons made them leave. They had to build a set in another location and they no longer mentioned Parsons  Tim had already stopped teaching -- -- the two were not related. But then he had to travel to the workroom so it changed things too.

Plus he had that stint at Liz Claiborne Global so he couldn't possibly have had much time then.

Look at Christian.  He's so incredibly busy but the editing makes it seem he's there a lot.  He can't possibly be.  Tim would come in, come out, come back, same as Christian does. 

(The pros are very busy and that's why the show tapes in just over a month which is why the show tapes on a crazy tight schedule.)

At some point on Lifetime they made Tim and Heidi Executive Producers which gave them a piece of the show.  Only after that Tim was present for the judging, not before. Around that time, and this is again late on Lifetime, the Tim Gunn save was invented.

Part of the time on the runway taken up by the fashion show is technical. That can't have changed. They always did one runway run-through for the crew, lighting and camera angles and all, with designers there but no judges. That's time-consuming.

Almost all of the seasons starting on Bravo and continuing on Lifetime they would do a second runway where each model came out by herself so the judges could examine the work in detail.

Then they would tape the runway show that would air. 

That changed in later seasons on Lifetime when they started doing "blind" runways and examining the garments alone off the runway, which is the only Lifetime change that pleased me. And after he was EP along came the Tim Gunn save.

Designers for most seasons could not speak during the runway show taping that aired (they could for the run-through) but that too changed in the later Lifetime shows so we could hear their comments.

I try to only post what I know.  I wouldn't probably impale myself on a sewing needle and I love to watch skating but I don't know an edge from a banana. 

So I'm sure of what I wrote above and if I'm proved wrong about something I'll be the first to say sorry.

Honored Contributor

Next week we get to see Christian's atelier -- and the store I didn't even know he has there -- when in the "real woman" challenge they dress "civic workers from the post office, sanitation dept., FDNY, NYPD and more..."

This is Sebastian's chance to shine. 

There's only two more episodes (saving Cardi B's for last!) and I really want to see Sebastian maket the finale, I want to see his collection.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Re your posts about Tim in the workroom and sequester, designers not being able to speak to one another, etc.:

On last week's thread I posted about the eliminated designers except Sonia must have been happy to be let out of sequester. Maybe you skipped that post.  They are always on the premises kept separately.  Otherwise spoilers.

In season one they had a challenge where the garments were displayed and the public voted. Once they had a challenge with an outdoor fashion show. I'm sure there are more examples, these come to mind.

Every eliminated designer had to be there and produce a garment or everyone there would have known who was eliminated. So yes, the elminated contestants are sequestered.

Same with the decoy at Fashion Week which grew from one or two on Bravo to on Lifetime eight or more.

The designers since episode one season one were and are allowed to talk to each other at the residence. They've always shown them doing it. Fights. People ironing. Having coffee. Talking about each other.

The difference was they were always roommates and as people were eliminated the ones left were moved into the same rooms and the sequestered ones were roomed together.

Now the eliminated designers are probably still there hiding from the camera (a waste of money to move them with that big loft and anyway, they all have to travel together all the time)  and I know they're kept in a room together at the studio all the time.  

They get to come out for the public challenges and they get to come out to help the others.  Otherwise they're sequestered on site.

On Bravo they had the workroom at Parsons, where Tim was teaching at Parsons. Much easier for him. Moreso starting in season two when they began paying him.

(Parsons was not their first choice, they were turned down, and a bunch of other people were asked before Tim and they also turned them down.)

Post-Bravo (but not because of Lifetime), some season on Lifetime, Parsons made them leave. They had to build a set in another location and they no longer mentioned Parsons  Tim had already stopped teaching -- -- the two were not related. But then he had to travel to the workroom so it changed things too.

Plus he had that stint at Liz Claiborne Global so he couldn't possibly have had much time then.

Look at Christian.  He's so incredibly busy but the editing makes it seem he's there a lot.  He can't possibly be.  Tim would come in, come out, come back, same as Christian does. 

(The pros are very busy and that's why the show tapes in just over a month which is why the show tapes on a crazy tight schedule.)

At some point on Lifetime they made Tim and Heidi Executive Producers which gave them a piece of the show.  Only after that Tim was present for the judging, not before. Around that time, and this is again late on Lifetime, the Tim Gunn save was invented.

Part of the time on the runway taken up by the fashion show is technical. That can't have changed. They always did one runway run-through for the crew, lighting and camera angles and all, with designers there but no judges. That's time-consuming.

Almost all of the seasons starting on Bravo and continuing on Lifetime they would do a second runway where each model came out by herself so the judges could examine the work in detail.

Then they would tape the runway show that would air. 

That changed in later seasons on Lifetime when they started doing "blind" runways and examining the garments alone off the runway, which is the only Lifetime change that pleased me. And after he was EP along came the Tim Gunn save.

Designers for most seasons could not speak during the runway show taping that aired (they could for the run-through) but that too changed in the later Lifetime shows so we could hear their comments.

I try to only post what I know.  I wouldn't probably impale myself on a sewing needle and I love to watch skating but I don't know an edge from a banana. 

So I'm sure of what I wrote above and if I'm proved wrong about something I'll be the first to say sorry.

@LoriLori edges are easy to understand, hard to do.  

I did see the part you said about them being sequestered, but I didn't realize they went everywhere with the other designers when in public.  Wouldn't that mean they are with them whenever they go to Mood or when they walk to a location?  Wouldn't it still be kinda obvious when they're filming since they show the current contestants all together in a group.  But obviously it's just a big show for the camera when they seem so excited to see each other like in the Elton John episde.  They can't be that surprised that the eliminated designers are the ones to help them unless they have never watched a season of PR.  

That must be challenging making garments for challenges that you know won't be judged.  You wouldn't want to do a crappy job since the public gets to see the garment you made.  Of course, I guess you would at least have the advantage of having a rested brain since you aren't having to come up with something new back to back.  Also, I wonder if the sequestered contestants get to do some of the things the others don't like watch TV, read newspapers, etc.

As far as talking to each other, I misread Michael Costello's comment because it came right after the part about how they even covered the windows.  He was talking about some stairwell, although I'm not sure when that is.

Michael Costello, the Palm Springs finalist from Season 3, detailed a stairwell where contestants hang out waiting for that week’s episode to be taped.

“The sad thing is that we cannot talk to each other,” Costello said. “It’s really tough. We can sometimes sit down next to each other and not talk for 2 hours, sometimes 3 hours. Production has this word. It was the worst word ever. ‘Ice’. They would look at us and say ‘ice’. ‘Hard ice’ is when production was really upset with us.”

The other thing I found interesting, and @MarnieRez3 you might also find this interesting per previous conversations, the first article I posted with the Tim Gunn interview.  He said that Bravo production actually judged the garments and then told the judges who to win and who to send home and the judges based their critiques on that, but that Lifetime didn't do that.  Maybe that's because on Lifetime Heidi had become and Executive Producer or was that in later seasons?  So, which is worse, having the Producers decide who wins/loses or incompetent judges?  Of course, maybe they were just incompetent because they had to judge based on the Producer's orders.  But, that also begs the question, is Bravo doing that again now that PR is back on their turf?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

[edited to snip out my long post from above, who needs it again LOL]
@Icegoddess wrote

Michael Costello, the Palm Springs finalist from Season 3, detailed a stairwell where contestants hang out waiting for that week’s episode to be taped.

“The sad thing is that we cannot talk to each other,” Costello said. “It’s really tough. We can sometimes sit down next to each other and not talk for 2 hours, sometimes 3 hours. Production has this word. It was the worst word ever. ‘Ice’. They would look at us and say ‘ice’. ‘Hard ice’ is when production was really upset with us.”

The other thing I found interesting, and @MarnieRez3 you might also find this interesting per previous conversations, the first article I posted with the Tim Gunn interview.  He said that Bravo production actually judged the garments and then told the judges who to win and who to send home and the judges based their critiques on that, but that Lifetime didn't do that.  Maybe that's because on Lifetime Heidi had become and Executive Producer or was that in later seasons?  So, which is worse, having the Producers decide who wins/loses or incompetent judges?  Of course, maybe they were just incompetent because they had to judge based on the Producer's orders.  But, that also begs the question, is Bravo doing that again now that PR is back on their turf?

@Icegoddess 

Yes, they go to Mood, everywhere.

Don't know if you've ever watched The Amazing Race but eliminated teams have to do the tasks so people worldwide don't know who was eliminated.  Spoilers.

So yes, everyone was on the ferry, the eliminated were hidden. They were shot going into the subway but they're actually driven, again to avoid spoilers. Everyone goes and comes together.

As far as the public challenges, and there haven't been that many, I would think the designers would be happy to sew again and get out in front of people but that's me guessing.

Michael Costello... It's not a big studio, you can tell. Production has to do its job too and have them ready to go when they're ready to tape. It can be boring. I wouldn't trust him, production has to set up.

As for Tim (and I have credibility problems with this kid interviewing him I mention later but for now) he was at a low point. Leaving Bravo meant his Bravo show "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style" was also canceled..

Tim was not happy shooting in L.A.. Heidi was pregnant again or a new mother, whichever, and wanted to stay in L.A.

His talk show failed. He mentions recurring on Dr. Oz but that didn't last either. Just a bad stretch in a hugely successful career.

Still it's hard to imagine him telling this to a student.

And mistakes in the interview done by this student whose battery conveniently failed six minutes in. Tim on a bad day and the written stuff has mistakes.

Season five wasn't even the final year; it was season six. So Tim wouldn't have said that and maybe not the rest.

The meddling, I don't believe they meddled much -- Heidi was powerful, so was Tim and then there's Kors and Nina, the guest judges, the high-quality designers present throughout the judging --

-- it makes no sense Bravo would step in much let alone choose who stays.  Word would have gotten out to the designer guest judges who would have not gone on the show. 

Maybe that season they made some decisions early on.  I thought Wesley should have been able to stay.  He went early.  Maybe they didn't.  There's also Magical Elves to contend with, the production company.

This guy is no journalist. He's doing it at school. Conveniently the camera battery died early in. The rest is attributed to Tim by the student and I'm not buying most of it. There are also mistakes and made-up stuff in the interview.

The writer corrects things from the video including: "In the video I inadvertently said he still works at the Parsons School of Design. He left three years ago."

He's off by three years, quite a mistake!!!!

He makes more mistakes in the written article.

Like Christian Siriano's name.

And this sentence which gave me a headache: "Gunn said though the show gives the impression he's in the design room quite a bit, he actually spends hours there..." (which is it? It makes no sense) --

[Plus Tim clarified that when the book came out; he was not there that much, "all the time" was a poor choice of words, not true at all.] --

-- "...and when he's not in there he's in the production room watching." What production room? Watching what? Where? There's no "production room." Makes no sense.

This particular interview just isn't credible to me. He takes a few shots at a frustrating point for him, but it's not normal for him and they're conveniently they're not all on tape, that battery dying. .

I don't like nit-picking but there's a lot of nits in this interview to pick LOL. 

I googled reputable magazines and papers including Good Housekeeping and Variety and The Wrap and others and couldn't find Tim saying any of that anywhere else.

All we know for sure is he wrote the Washington Post o op-ed late in Lifetime's run when he was so angry the plus-size woman won.

Other than that all I could find was Tim being the classy, smart gentleman we know and most of us love, saying nice things about Bravo and Project Runway...

...and looking forward to innovating once again, this time on Amazon, live and in many countries.

p.s.  Edges are super hard for me to understand.  And needles and pins are a danger to me LOL.  And you skated in an awesome outfit.  We're all special in our own ways and we're opinionated about this stuff because we share this:  we care about it.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Next week we get to see Christian's atelier -- and the store I didn't even know he has there -- when in the "real woman" challenge they dress "civic workers from the post office, sanitation dept., FDNY, NYPD and more..."

This is Sebastian's chance to shine. 

There's only two more episodes (saving Cardi B's for last!) and I really want to see Sebastian maket the finale, I want to see his collection.

I'm actually looking forward to next week as I was thrilled to see we get a peek into Christian's studio (yay!) and then next week I literally cannot wait for CardiB as I can't even imagine how much fun she will be!

I know I am an unabashed fan of Sebastian and haven't always been happy with the end results of each episode.  I think Sebastian and Christian have a bit of symmetry between their design styles and I so hope he is one of the finalists.