Respected Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/4 - Back to Bravo! - SPOILERS

Sort of on the topic of PR.  This was posted last week on Bravo about Chris March's progress.  So sad.

https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/project-runway-chris-march-considered-suicide-health-update-a...

Honored Contributor

I believe the winner won it because it did look survival.  However, I was fond of the chic look with the corset top.  It was very well made.  I am no good with names so I can only describe the clothes.  The best part of this show is at the end with the fashion show.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I thought having the episode in the woods was a sad stretch for a fresh idea for the show. To me, no one in the cast looked like they were enjoying the setting or being rained on at the end. As I watched I kept thinking that I hope none of them catch lyme disease (or a cold), and I wasn't impressed with the design results. I'm not enthused about watching PR on Bravo this season. I'm tired of hearing comments like " It's old ladyish", "It looks like something my grandmother would wear", "It's matronly," and many more like these. As a woman, I find those types of comments offensive and I also find them to be ageist. Michael Kors used to make similar comments on PR years ago, and I would never purchase anything with his name on it because of that. 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I thought having the episode in the woods was a sad stretch for a fresh idea for the show. To me, no one in the cast looked like they were enjoying the setting or being rained on at the end. As I watched I kept thinking that I hope none of them catch lyme disease (or a cold), and I wasn't impressed with the design results. I'm not enthused about watching PR on Bravo this season. I'm tired of hearing comments like " It's old ladyish", "It looks like something my grandmother would wear", "It's matronly," and many more like these. As a woman, I find those types of comments offensive and I also find them to be ageist. Michael Kors used to make similar comments on PR years ago, and I would never purchase anything with his name on it because of that. 

They weren't meant to enjoy the setting, that wasn't the point.  Lyme disease is short of an urban legend; completely overdiagnosed and not easy to catch.  Especially when your legs are covered up!

Also those quotes, looks like grandma, matronly -- that's not who they're designing for.  Sorry not sorry but capital F Fashion is for the young.  Why would you take it personally? 

When you were young and silly and spirited, didn't you wear fun and stylish clothing?   Run to get the latest styles?  That's the point.  Older women don't.   That's the way it is.

Never going to hear my mother say, "Oh, yay!  Crop tops are in!"

Honored Contributor

Also as far as the models and others not being comfortable, the designers wouldn't be there but everyone else would and more, there would be a lot of people there.  Modeling is not glamorous. 

The supermodels get to wear gorgeous clothes and stay in five-star hotels  when they're not modeling but the actual job is hard work and tedious.   So is cleaning houses, I'm not saying it isn't a great job I'm just saying whoever thinks comfort is part of the equation is wrong.

Unfortunately Tyra Banks season after season in ANTM portrayed modeling in a completely unrealistic way that has given a lot of people the wrong impression.  This is why the only very successful model to come out of ANTM was cut early:  Winnie Harlow.

For a certain type of supermodel (like Heidi) the Victoria's Secret/Swimsuit Issue ones -- along with Vogue covers and other covers -- this is the pinnacle of success. 

The issues the photos come from were shot in Antarcitca and Finland respectively.  They covered their feet but that's it.  There are some where Kate Upton is topless.

Here's Kate Upton in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue the year they shot in Antarctica.

Image result for sports illustrated swimsuit edition kate upton antarctica

Hailey Clauson  in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue shot in Finland:

Related image

There were better pictures where the models wore even less, but they would have been poofed LOL.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori 

If you watch the "Making of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Calendar" videos, you'll find that just off camera are people with warm blankets and heavy coats for the models. They're exposed for maybe a minute or two at a time for the photos then cocooned in warmth immediately afterwards. The PR models were exposed for an hour for the fitting, then for however long it took for the runway and critique. Modeling isn't always a fun job, but the PR production made it a lot harder on the models than it had to be. I don't mind production torturing the contestants, but the models should be protected.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@LoriLori 

If you watch the "Making of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Calendar" videos, you'll find that just off camera are people with warm blankets and heavy coats for the models. They're exposed for maybe a minute or two at a time for the photos then cocooned in warmth immediately afterwards. The PR models were exposed for an hour for the fitting, then for however long it took for the runway and critique. Modeling isn't always a fun job, but the PR production made it a lot harder on the models than it had to be. I don't mind production torturing the contestants, but the models should be protected.

@gardenman    The videos are edited.  They're a part of the hype; they're a promotional tool.   It can be grueling.  The models are exposed for way more than a minute at a time; the photographer is shooting over and over and over (different photographers, just like cinema directors, have different shooting ratios so you can't know unless you're there but potentially for that one pic you see there could have been 100 stills taken in that suit).

Also let's not compare Antarctica and Finland to Staten Island in the 40s.  It's part of the job.  It was very kind of whoever (Brandon?) who said to put a blanket on Mimi but this is part of the job for them.  Jungle, too.  Posing with lions and other dangerous wildlife, snakes -- yes there's an animal wrangler there the whole time but things can happen quickly.

If they don't like it they don't have to do it.  If they don't aspire to the top they don't have to worry because it will never come up again.

Respected Contributor

Camping and sewing in the cold was ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Desert Lily wrote:

They weren't meant to enjoy the setting, that wasn't the point.  Lyme disease is short of an urban legend; completely overdiagnosed and not easy to catch.  Especially when your legs are covered up!

Also those quotes, looks like grandma, matronly -- that's not who they're designing for.  Sorry not sorry but capital F Fashion is for the young.  Why would you take it personally? 

When you were young and silly and spirited, didn't you wear fun and stylish clothing?   Run to get the latest styles?  That's the point.  Older women don't.   That's the way it is.

Never going to hear my mother say, "Oh, yay!  Crop tops are in!"

@LoriLori, Whoa Nellie!  What age would that be?  I'm 60, and while I may not be rocking crop tops, I do dress a lot younger than most 60 yr olds, at least from what I often read on these boards.  I don't follow the thought that just because you have reached a certain age you can't wear things.  Someone even mentioned once that older women shouldn't even color their hair because they weren't fooling anyone.  You'll have to pry my color brush out of my cold, dead hands LOL.  I'll even dare post a pic for y'all to pick apart.  

Rockin 60.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess @You look gorgeous!  I am with you. I will never stop coloring my hair. Or dress how others deem I should because I am a certain age. 

In in the last episode the wrong person went home. I think he may have had more to bring given the chance. 

Perhaps they chose the winner due what the challenge was to be about. Who knows. 

I was half watching and have stopped trying to figure out judges. 

I started watching Project Runway to see fashion. Not interested in camping and designers freezing to make fashion. JMO. I do not like it on Top Chef either.