Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/25 - Back to Bravo! Spoilers

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

Hi, Cali, yes, you remember right.  The Tim Gunn save wa a Lifetime addition under Weinstein.  I don't remember exactly when but by the time that happened Weinstein Co. had elevated both Heidi and Tim to Executive Producers  

And Heidi's tagline was not her creation.  It was the original production company, Magical Elves, which laid out the whole format, hired Heidi as host and judge and Tim Gunn didn't get paid that first year etc. etc. and they put "one day you're in and the next day your'e out."  "Auf weidersein" (sp?) seems like it would be Heidi's idea but quite possibly wasn't.. 

Bravo hired Magical Elves first thing when they regained the rights to the show.  And I love the reboot, Magical Elves is the best reality production company, always has been.

I know a lot of people here aren't enjoying the show as much as I am (or at all) so I'm writing because you summoned me and I wanted to say yes/no, but I haven't posted much because I disagree, I'm loving the show, and it's climbing in the ratings even amid NBA playoffs so I'm not alone and I don't want to be a buzzkill on this thread.

Hi, @LoriLori, and everyone!😊   I seldom post on the PR threads, but I love quietly lurking and reading them when I can.   

Scoot over, Lori, and let me sit next to you...😉   I'm thoroughly enjoying the new season and glad to know the ratings are healthy!    (I also agree with you about Jeffrey, by the way.)

I'm a huge fan of Tim Gunn and continued to wonder about his decision not to follow the new show back to Bravo  (don't get me wrong, though, I'm a Christian Siriano fan, too, and I think he's doing a marvelous job).    Just today I saw this February article and found Tim's comments about the reasons for leaving PR interesting.   (Sorry if this has been posted before...  I'm not on the Q Community as much as I used to be.)

2/29/19  " ...Departing the Runway --  “We were completely taken by extreme surprise when it was decided Project Runway was not returning to Lifetime,” says Gunn.   “We had been there for 11 seasons.   We liked the fact that Lifetime left us alone and just let us do our thing.   And and in a way, they really spoiled us.   So returning to Bravo caused Heidi and me to huddle and ask ourselves, ‘Is this a juncture that is an opportunity for us?’   We’d done the show for 16 seasons, and for me it was really 19, because we also had a season called Project Runway:   Under the Gunn without Heidi.   And I had two seasons of Project Runway Junior, a show with the teens.”  

In Gunn’s words, they decided it was time to “throw the dice.   Let’s do something that will expand on this experience and be something entirely new.   And we love our show runner for eleven seasons, Sara Rae.   She’s just phenomenal.   And we thought, let’s talk to Sara and see if she has some thoughts and ideas.   And Heidi has a lot of contacts at Netflix.   So we met with Netflix and the meeting was fantastic.   Then out of the blue, Amazon Prime Video contacted Heidi’s agent and my agent and said, ‘We hear you’re in conversations with Netflix.   We’d like to have a conversation, too.’   And when we met with Amazon – and Jennifer Salke was only recently there as the head – we were blown away by the conversation with Amazon.”  

The structure of the new Klum/Gunn series is very much still in progress, but announcements about the show are described as “imminent,” and all Gunn knows for sure at the moment is that the new venture will likely be shot in both New York and Los Angeles, with other possible locations to be determined... "

complete article at:
"Tim Gunn Speaks on New Amazon Series and Why He Left the 'Runway'"
metrosource.com/tim-gunn-amazon-prime-show-project-runway/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Great to see you, @dooBdoo !  I was beginning to wonder if our detailed conversations were driving others away so it's great to know you've been enjoying them.  I have missed your posts.

I don't know what to think of that article.  Because I kind of assumed Heidi and Tim wouldn't go back to Bravo because they would no longer own a piece of the show.  And of course they will make a ton on Amazon if the show succeeds.

Hmmm....wonder which it is or both.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori@dooBdoo, I wonder about the surprise.  My understanding was that Lifetime couldn't distance themselves more because of the ties to Harvey Weinstein.  At the time, many of us were concerned that it was the end of Project Runway.  

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori Incredible! They are actually having to add this to the curriculum, so it is more difficult, I presume. I'm so happy it is being taught now.
I totally see the disaster that is this outfit...and I agree with @Icegoddess - she looked better BEFORE Ven's clothes went on her.
I agree about the darting and seaming...very often Christian's gowns have princess seams and boning or built-in bras for larger-busted women. He regularly designs for Octavia Spencer and she usually looks flawless in his dresses.
You mention sending the models down the runway without a bra...I think maybe they do that because so many of the models are small-busted...or, perhaps the women weren't wearing the correct bra for the design on runway day? (The models are also so young, they probably don't require uplift and support.)
And @Icegoddess I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head...seeing an outfit in a size 00 gives buyers unrealistic expectations. (I think magazine stylists also pin clothes onto models to within an inch of their lives. It's almost like they create a custom fit on the editorial model, meaning the garmet will look different on a size 12 woman.)
Sample size is 2?? 2??? Two??? A single digit?
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo This is so interesting...I hadn't seen these comments from Tim before. Who knew it was a surprise to Tim Gunn that PR would not be renewed by Lifetime??
I never saw Under the Gunn OR PR Junior...I'm totally put of the loop!
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@dooBdooThis is so interesting...I hadn't seen these comments from Tim before. Who knew it was a surprise to Tim Gunn that PR would not be renewed by Lifetime??
I never saw Under the Gunn OR PR Junior...I'm totally put of the loop!

Cali, I think it's more like they had no clue how and when Weinstein would be sold.  They were probably ready to go with another season when he was arrested -- they already had that other season of All Stars done.  It was a while between accusations and arrest and then between him losing his company.

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 

The big designers make sure the models are in the right undergarments (well, their people do).  So should the small designers if they want to be big designers.  This whole curvy thing is new and no, that curriculum project was just announced in September, it coudl be years before it's implemented (or not).  Size 2, that's why models are called "clothes hangers."

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3, when I said designers liking to send models down the runway bra-less I wasn't just referring to Project Runway designers.  You see it in a lot of the big runway shows too.  I don't think they do it just because the models have a small bust.  All of those details are well thought out by any designer worth their salt.  I might not agree with the decision, but the decison wasn't just because they thought the model didn't need it.  If the design requires undergarments, the designer will make sure the correct undergarment is used.  That might not always be available to the PR designers unless the model happens to own the correct undergarment.  

Undergarments can make or break an outfit.  Any time you see a TV show or movie that is from an older time period, those actresses are in the correct undergarments for that period.  The clothes just wouldn't look right otherwise.  And yes, they are extremely uncomfortable, especially for a bunch of people who never wore constricting undergarments.  I, personally, have never worn a girdle, but I do wear a half slip on occasion.  

And then there's also structure built into garments like boining, but you still need the right undergarments.

Honored Contributor

Looks like hubby is staying in tonight.  He doesn't care for Project Runway, so I guess it'll be up to somebody else to start this week's thread.  I'll have to watch the recording hopefully tomorrow.