Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/25 - Back to Bravo! Spoilers

Yes, @DrKelli and @LoriLori , it was Ven Budhu.  I edited my previous post to add that, but it was probably while y'all were reading it.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Well if anyone was wondering if I'm an idiot I just erased all doubt LOL.  I should have asked you if it was Jeffrey before I wrote a novella.  Forgive.

First the good.  The candy challenge, from season 4 originally, repeated in season 10.  This dress is considered one of the best unconventional challenge garments ever.  The photo doesn't begin to do it justice.

Related image

And now the bad:

It was made by Ven Budhu who is the jerk your'e talking about.  

Image result for project runway season 10 ven budhu

I remember the dress but not the designer (as I said, all those Lifetime seasons, I have selective memory).  But googling produced the culprit.  There's about a zillion hits about what a jerk he is/was, how rude to the model, etc.  You're so right, he's fleshy.  

I have no memory of the incident but reading just a few of the hits made me go grrrrrrrrrrr.  Which comes full circle to what I posted under the Jeffrey post about Coco Chanel -- know them by their garments, not their private lives and beliefs because so many are total jerks.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   @DrKelli 

I was preparing my post while you two were posting LOL.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori, there is sooooo much I DON'T remember about all the seasons of PR, so it should be quite telling about how he treated his model affected me.  

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
Love the novella! No need for apologies.
Now, controversial question...is it actually HARDER to design for a "curvy woman" (the PC term for plus-size now) or do the designers feel that the clothes just look better and "walk better" on a size 00 thin, tall model?
I think, once again, Tess complaining about getting the curvy model is more a reflection of her own INABILITY to make a curvy woman look fantastic. Christian makes red carpet dresses in all sizes, and his designs are stunning. He must be shaking his head at these designers complaining when they get larger models.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  @DrKelli   @MarnieRez3 

Well, here she is.

Related image

Image result for project runway season 10 ven budhu real woman

The internet lit up.  I even came across a change.org petition demanding Lifetime get her a makeover by a professional to make up for his treatment of her.  There was a segment on the Today show.  I have amnesia but IceGoddess, I see why it stuck with you.

He looks sloppy next to her!!!! 

Image result for project runway season 10 ven budhu real woman

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@LoriLori
Love the novella! No need for apologies.
Now, controversial question...is it actually HARDER to design for a "curvy woman" (the PC term for plus-size now) or do the designers feel that the clothes just look better and "walk better" on a size 00 thin, tall model?
I think, once again, Tess complaining about getting the curvy model is more a reflection of her own INABILITY to make a curvy woman look fantastic. Christian makes red carpet dresses in all sizes, and his designs are stunning. He must be shaking his head at these designers complaining when they get larger models.

@MarnieRez3 

My two cents:  As long as the model is proportional and some of these are not.  Design schools may start teaching them to design for women with any kind of figure but these designers were not taught to design for someone whose proportions are off (or anything above a 2; see my note and my post below).

ETA:  I found the answer, it's in a post below, and the answer is not currently but CFDA as of this 9/18 is partnering with a plus-size etailer to develop curriculum because not one design school teaches anything but sample size 2.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks @GoinBacktoCali .  @Icegoddess    @DrKelli 

I am totally against body shaming...except he did it first.  So this one's for his model.  The guy -- at least at the time he was shaming a woman -- had moobs.  He needs one of Kramer from Seinfeld's manssieres.

Related image

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3, looking at the pics LorLori posted, his model really doesn't look to be a lot bigger than me except in the cup size.  I have pics of me that would be comparable, although I'll admit they aren't my favorites.  She actually looks worse in Ven's outfit than i the before.

As far as designing for curvy figures, I have no personal experience, but I do think it is harder.  Clothes do hang better on a thin model, but it also gives the people looking to buy an unrealistic expectation.  I know I have difficulty buying jeans despite the fact that a J Lo or Beyonce booty is all the rage, they don't make jeans for that.  So, I always end up having to have them altered to get rid of most of the gap i the back at the top.  Can't get rid of all of it unless I changed to high-waisted jeans becuase to get the proper fit I wouldn't be able to get them on without breaking the zipper.  

Also, on the top side, designers seem to like sending their models down the runway without a bra.  And strapless stays up better even though when I was younger I remember being told I didn't have anything to hold a strapless dress up.  That's not really the case.  

So, curvier designs probably require darts and shaping.  I know you'll often find instructions on how to alter a pattern for a larger bust.  Not as much for a smaller bust.  

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3   @Icegoddess   @DrKelli 

Found this.  The CFDA is the alpha and omega of American fashion.  I truly believe that of this season's prizes, the CFDA internship is more valuable than the $250,000.

https://fashionista.com/2018/09/the-curvy-con-2018-plus-size-fashion-education

The article, from Sept. 2018, announces a partnership between CFDA and Dia & Co. which I read is a plus-size etailer, to provide funding for designs schools to teach the designers to design for curvy models.  So they are not being taught that now.

The article (which is very interesting) outright states there are currently no design schools which teach it.  All of the teaching is focused on sample size (2).  This is progress, but I imagine the curriculum will not be developed overnight.