Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/25 - Back to Bravo! Spoilers

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@DrKelliI think I remember @LoriLori posting that the Tim Gunn save was a Lifetime channel feature and would probably not be repeated by Bravo...although Karlie K did steal Heidi's tagline, "One day you're in, the next you're out..." so perhaps Christian could conceivably steal the save idea from Tim.
I miss the save...it threw a complete monkey wrench into the proceedings and let the judges know they are not always right about whom they choose to send home. It knocks the judges' imperial attitude down a peg.

Hi, Cali, yes, you remember right.  The Tim Gunn save wa a Lifetime addition under Weinstein.  I don't remember exactly when but by the time that happened Weinstein Co. had elevated both Heidi and Tim to Executive Producers  

And Heidi's tagline was not her creation.  It was the original production company, Magical Elves, which laid out the whole format, hired Heidi as host and judge and Tim Gunn didn't get paid that first year etc. etc. and they put "one day you're in and the next day your'e out."  "Auf weidersein" (sp?) seems like it would be Heidi's idea but quite possibly wasn't.. 

Bravo hired Magical Elves first thing when they regained the rights to the show.  And I love the reboot, Magical Elves is the best reality production company, always has been.

I know a lot of people here aren't enjoying the show as much as I am (or at all) so I'm writing because you summoned me and I wanted to say yes/no, but I haven't posted much because I disagree, I'm loving the show, and it's climbing in the ratings even amid NBA playoffs so I'm not alone and I don't want to be a buzzkill on this thread.

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
Oh you simply must keep watching and enjoying and posting! You couldn't be a buzzkill if you tried; you are the Honored Chancellor of the Department of All Things Project Runway!!
I hate to think I'VE been a buzzkill...I'm still watching and enjoying, just not mad about any particular designer YET. (I've usually fallen in love with one of the designer's work by now, but there are still plenty of episodes left and lots of time for one of them to wow me.) So far, I am rooting for Tessa and Hester to go home! Why am I hating on them??? 😄 I need an attitude change!
I am mad for Brandon M and I truly think Christian is a revelation. Part of the fun of this show is widely disagreeing with the judges...and each other!
I remember when a finalist contestant put 1950-era Mexican floral headpieces on all her Fashion Week models...she was the first truly plus-size designer...and a near war broke out online on the PR commentary boards between those who loved it and those who despised it.
Variety makes the horse race. And it would not be nearly as interesting or thought-provoking a race without you. 💜
Here's to Thursday night! The uber hip stylist Marni Senofonte is back...and the designers have to create a mini-collection for Homeland and Deadpool actress, Morena Baccarin.
Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@LoriLori
Oh you simply must keep watching and enjoying and posting! You couldn't be a buzzkill if you tried; you are the Honored Chancellor of the Department of All Things Project Runway!!
I hate to think I'VE been a buzzkill...I'm still watching and enjoying, just not mad about any particular designer YET. (I've usually fallen in love with one of the designer's work by now, but there are still plenty of episodes left and lots of time for one of them to wow me.) So far, I am rooting for Tessa and Hester to go home! Why am I hating on them??? 😄 I need an attitude change!
I am mad for Brandon M and I truly think Christian is a revelation. Part of the fun of this show is widely disagreeing with the judges...and each other!
I remember when a finalist contestant put 1950-era Mexican floral headpieces on all her Fashion Week models...she was the first truly plus-size designer...and a near war broke out online on the PR commentary boards between those who loved it and those who despised it.
Variety makes the horse race. And it would not be nearly as interesting or thought-provoking a race without you. 💜
Here's to Thursday night! The uber hip stylist Marni Senofonte is back...and the designers have to create a mini-collection for Homeland and Deadpool actress, Morena Baccarin.

Thank you, you're too kind. I'm no expert on Lifetime's version and All Stars; the longer they went on the less I liked them.

I love that Hester has a point of view and this week I love that she used her immunity to play around. Bad ideas are still ideas as opposed to Sonia who did a dress we've seen a million times and a kimono probably wouldn't have saved it because we've seen that a million times too.

The designer with the headdresses was Ashley Nell Tipton, winner of Season 14. No, I didn't remember her name, I had to look it up, but I remember her very well. You could see them giving her the win a mile away.

I also remember Tim Gunn right writing in a magazine that her stuff was horrible.  [No, I'm misremembering, I just googled it and it wasn't a magazine, it was an oped in WaPo.]   He was burnt out by then or he would never have done that.  It's the only time he ever did it.  He had a lot of good points to make.  Here, I just found it repeated on a web site I can link to:

https://www.thewrap.com/project-runway-tim-gunn-season-14-winner-ashley-nell-tipton-hideous/

She's selling on line, Which means she's making a living after all this time. So she has a customer and Hester does too (and I'm not comparing them because I consider Hester talented and Ashley Nell Tipton not) and though I'm not that customer I love how capital F fashion has more spaces than ever -- on line -- for niche designers.

There, Cali, I just upped my word count LOL, my friend...I never heard of that actress but I like those kind of challenges.  I'm dying to know what challenge Cardi B will be judging.

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
Gurrlll... don't try to up me on word count...no one can come up with dense, long, run-on sentences better than I can! 😄
Oh. My. Gosh. Just read that Gunn piece...WOW!!! Yes, I had forgotten her name was Ashley Nell Tipton. I am truly stunned that he would write that. Glad he didn't make a habit of trashing winners! She truly caused the most intense opinions on both sides!
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori, I was one of those who felt that Ashley's win was purely about her designig for plus-sized models.  And, contrary to what she responded to all the people who felt the same way, it has nothing to do with not accepting plus-sized women.  I think that was probably personal baggage talking.

I don't remember what season it was, but the one when the designer kept putting down his plus-sized "real woman" model I was disgusted with him.  And previously I had really liked his work.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori, I was one of those who felt that Ashley's win was purely about her designig for plus-sized models.  And, contrary to what she responded to all the people who felt the same way, it has nothing to do with not accepting plus-sized women.  I think that was probably personal baggage talking.

I don't remember what season it was, but the one when the designer kept putting down his plus-sized "real woman" model I was disgusted with him.  And previously I had really liked his work.  

@Icegoddess   If you're talking about season 3, Jeffrey designing for Angela's mother in the "real woman" challenge, he wasn't putting her down.  Angela and Jeffrey didn't get along.  Angela had zero talent; Jeffrey had a very successful line before he went on the show...

...anyway Angela and her mother were baiting Jeffrey the whole time.  And he had a short fuse and he admitted it.  His mother was there to comfort him, she felt terrible.  He did what the woman asked for with his own spin and she complained and just kept asking for revisions and saying he wasn't respecting her and blah blah and -- sorry, playing the "fat" card.

Vincent's sister was as big as Angela's mother.  Vincent was cuckoo for coco puffs but Vincent's sister played nice with Robert and was tactful and kind even though she probably didn't actually like what he made.

The whole challenge was a mess.  They never should have done it.  Robert's sister was a gorgeous stewardess with a perfect figure and of course she got picked first -- and Angela's mother got picked last.  And she was bitter and nasty, like her daughter.

I couldn't wait for Angela to be eliminated and it was sweet justice that it was Catherine Malandrino in Paris who personally elminated Angela but not before she read her about how unfashionable her look was.

Now, IceGoddess, if you tell me you weren't referring to that episode I'll be kind of embarrassed. 

But that's the famous one.  It was one of those situations where you saw what you wanted depending on how you felt about Jeffrey.  He was polarizing because he was the most successful designer cast to date, he had a big line already and dressed among others Gwen Stefani.  Also he had a rough life and was in recovery and didn't have a sunny personality.  I loved Jeffrey's designs and was horrified at Angela's mother's treatment of him and then she went behind the screen where Angela was working and Angela gave her instructions to go back at him again.  Angela is nowhere now.  Jeffrey's a success.  

Then Laura went and accused him of cheating in the finale because she was jealous of his collection.  Another one who went nowhere -- well, she's a success at archery.  I don't know what kind of architect she was but she was never cut out to be a designer and her snobbery about never wearing jeans, well, most of us aren't gazillionaires and we wear jeans, especially ones with young kids.

Most people were not on Jeffrey's side in either situation, especially Angela's mother.  And even when he was shown not to have cheated, to have made an honest mistake, people still call him a cheater.  Jealousy.  They've never cast anyone that successful again and that's as it should be, he was already there and he still is.  

And yes he left his girlfriend for his model with whom he was sleeping the entire season.  But that didn't last long and anyway imagine if Coco Chanel had to be on a reality show to try and get a leg up or John Galliano  -- both of them horrible people.  We don't admire them for their personalities.

Now tell me that's not the episode you were thinking of LOL.  

@MarnieRez3  Word count!  I wasn't going to post again haha.  HUGE word count.  HUGE.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess

I already said in my prior OP I don't think Ashley Nell Tipton is talented (but glad she's got a niche, whoever they are) and just want to add and we all know this but it bears saying while we're shading ANT...

...that Anya was the other one anointed before the show even started and she was polarizing too.  Couldn't even sew made the same dress every time.  And then they made her an all star and she continued making the same dress every time! But she has fans! Mysteries of life!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori, guess what.  It wasn't Season 3.  I had an awful time trying to find pics and blog posts of the "real woman" challenge for Season 3 and finally resorted to just looking up pics of all the contestants and the guy wasn't there.  There were some videos, but I didn't really feel like watching them.  

So, the designer was a bald guy, kinda rotund so you would think he would empathize a little with a model that wasn't stick thin.  I do remember there were some models that had good figures in the bunch.  This particular designer, at the beginning of the season had some beautifullly draped designs, but I think he was a one-trick pony.  While he could come up with different designs, he mostly relied on his beautiful draping techniques.  I remember he kept talking about her size, and in front of her.  He also tried a couple of belts from The Wall, but he made a point of stating that they were all too small.  He actually made the model cry.  It was sooo sad.

BTW, I agree on Anya.  

ETA:  I found it.  It was Season 10 and the designer was Ven Budhu.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess , I know who you are talking about--his name started with a V.  He won the uncoventional challenge where they used candy for their material.  He was a complete a-hole to his 'real woman' model.  If it were me, I would have punched him.

Respected Contributor

His name was Ven.