Honored Contributor

Project Runway 4/25 - Back to Bravo! Spoilers

[ Edited ]

So, I'm starting the thread early tonight since I have a bunch of pre-runway random thoughts that I wanted to post separate from comments about the runway show.

I took a quick gander at the model cards as they popped up.  Most of the models, besides the curvy ones of course had very small bust measurements, like 30-32, maybe 34-inch range.  Now, I’m really a 38-A although I generally end up with a 36-A because you can’t find a 38-A anywhere.  What that means to me is that the models are narrow, or I’m wide, which doesn’t mean fat.  It’s more about the ribcage which you can’t change no matter how much you weigh. 

When I saw the purse with the sculptured head inside, I was thinking Roma Goddess.  Of course not literally, but as an inspiration, and I think of a Roman Goddess as being elegant.

Garo's bag with the silver brush and mirror made me think of turn of the century vintage.  I love antique and vintage clothing.  Of course, we know Garo's not going to do vintage.

I’m surprised to see Christian commenting on fabrics in Mood, and even sorta making suggestions.  I rather loved that black fabric he picked up though.  He did it last week too when he was asking wasn’t anybody using color, and then when some did go for color, they all wanted red, and he commented on that too.  I don’t remember Tim ever doing that.

When Sonia was talking about how she got started and how she decided that maybe she did have the temperament to do this I was thinking about how I would never have the temperament.  I only sew for myself because to sew for someone else is so much pressure to get it right.  I had a job once (not sewing) where any time a former customer called I was certain that it was to complain.  It made me a wreck and I was so relieved when I got out of that business.

Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/25 - Back to Bravo! Spoilers

The Runway Show and a link to the looks.

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-7

The comments are in the order they came down the runway, and the ones in bold are the ones that were either on the top or the bottom.

Bishme: That doesn’t say elegance to me.  Maybe tortured.

Garo:  Looked good on the model, but….I didn’t like the fabric choice.

Venny:  I don’t like those straps in the back

Lela:  I hate those hips.  The organza sleeve is kinda odd.  In the workroom it looked like she was making mini pleats in the organza sleeve and I was liking that better.  But I guess she was doing the pleats just to attach the sleeve.

Sonia:  It’s just okay to me.  It IS elegant, but maybe too plain.  She shouldn’t have mentioned the piece that didn’t get made though IMO.  That is just an excuse for not getting her work done.

Renee: Too much stuff.  Hate those short pants.

Hester: What can I say?  Pasties?  I also don’t care for the bottom of it or the bow in back.  They don’t say elegant to me.  On the closer look, I did like the sleeve.

Tessa:  It was okay, but I wish she would stop talking about the curvy model.  It didn’t fit her well in the back either.

Sebastian:  I really liked this look, but not so much in the picture.  The shirt came off a funky color in the pic. 

Jamall:  It’s a lot better than what he started out with in the workroom, but I didn’t care for the front of it, the part that kinda stuck out. 

Of the top 3, I think it has to be Jamall for the win.  Since Hester has immunity, I would have to choose Bishme to go home.

BTW, those teal pants Christian is wearing are not doing him any favors.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

The Runway Show and a link to the looks.

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-7

The comments are in the order they came down the runway, and the ones in bold are the ones that were either on the top or the bottom.

Bishme: That doesn’t say elegance to me.  Maybe tortured.

Garo:  Looked good on the model, but….I didn’t like the fabric choice.

Venny:  I don’t like those straps in the back

Lela:  I hate those hips.  The organza sleeve is kinda odd.  In the workroom it looked like she was making mini pleats in the organza sleeve and I was liking that better.  But I guess she was doing the pleats just to attach the sleeve.

Sonia:  It’s just okay to me.  It IS elegant, but maybe too plain.  She shouldn’t have mentioned the piece that didn’t get made though IMO.  That is just an excuse for not getting her work done.

Renee: Too much stuff.  Hate those short pants.

Hester: What can I say?  Pasties?  I also don’t care for the bottom of it or the bow in back.  They don’t say elegant to me.  On the closer look, I did like the sleeve.

Tessa:  It was okay, but I wish she would stop talking about the curvy model.  It didn’t fit her well in the back either.

Sebastian:  I really liked this look, but not so much in the picture.  The shirt came off a funky color in the pic. 

Jamall:  It’s a lot better than what he started out with in the workroom, but I didn’t care for the front of it, the part that kinda stuck out. 

Of the top 3, I think it has to be Jamall for the win.  Since Hester has immunity, I would have to choose Bishme to go home.

BTW, those teal pants Christian is wearing are not doing him any favors.

I agree w/you on most of this except that I liked Jamall's better than you did.

Before I evaluate here are a few of my observations. 

Tessa, please stop hanging on Bishme.  It's getting on my nerves.  Surprised she didn't go to him when he was safe and crawl all over him.  Love that Christian "called her out" when she was being nosy in the workroom.  Good for him.  She needed to hear that.

Love Brandon's remarks on Renee's outfit - "really?"  That was my thought too and also when he commented on Hester's. 

Here's my take:

Tessa needs to go next please! She always disses everyone and her designs aren't that great either.  Did she call her dress accomplished elegance or something? 

Bishme - he's lucky he's safe.  That material was horrible and it wasn't elegant enough.

Garo - I loved the fabric and design but think it would have been better if it was longer.

Venny - the only thing I liked was the color.  Those straps that he was sewing on at the last minute should have been cut off.  It looked out of place.

Lela - I loved it but it made the model look very hippy which no woman asked for ever.  Take away the t.p. strap please.  Not necessary.

Sonia - too basic and I'm sure we've seen it all before.  I was torn between her and Bishme leaving.

What can I say about Hester that I haven't already?  She's glad she had immunity like the judges said or else she would have been gone.  The whole thing was outrageous and ugly.

Sebastian - it was just okay.

Jamall - I'm so glad he won.  It was beautiful draping and I loved the design. 

Respected Contributor

Just when I was really getting to like Hester she comes out with this.  Green fortune cookie pasties?  I thought the skirt was nice, even the sheer top - but it required more than the pasties.

Garo's model did look nice - he seems like a nice guy - yes, I agree, the material could have been more elegant.

The pink dress with those straps sewn onto the back was ????I have to question his taste level.

I really loved the plaid dress that was draped so elegantly.  I thought I heard someone mention the plaid had black velvet in it.  I bet that was really nice in person. 

I had a feeling from the very beginning who would get sent home.  They seemed to focus more attention on her than usual.  I thought the dress was quite nice, certainly not ground breaking, but I guess it just did not really go with her sparkly dj headphones box. 

Didn't really get a good look at Sebastian's.  It certainly looks like he can sew really well, and quickly.  Seemed like he made a lot more stuff than the others.  I hope he doesn't burn out.

My pick for the final three are Sebastian, Hester and Garo - not necessarily in that order.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I haven't read the thread yet because i watched Big Bang last night.  I'll watch PR tonight and be back with my comments!

Honored Contributor

Sigh, I keep falling asleep during the show and starting it an hour later is not helping!

I enjoyed(ish) the show tonight.  Liked the theme and was really impressed how some folks interpreted what they selected/were given to work with.  I giggled through the first half of the show as I thought they were setting up Tessa's exit but I guess not.  Was glad with who won, not sure at all I would have selected the loser to go home.  I am a huge Sebastian fan and was kind of surprised he was just "safe" but then again I am a fan.

I simply cannot get enough of Brandon Maxwell's facial expressions and snark.  No seriously Brandon, tell us what you really think . . . Smiley Very Happy

And finally Hester gluing pasties on (albeit through net fabric).  I have taken issue with many things I have seen male designers have made female models go through, do better Hester.

Honored Contributor

I love Brandon.  He's a perfect balance of snark and helpful.  I love Christian.  Mentoring should start at Mood.  He doesn't want his charges dooming themselves from the start with wrong fabric.  Tim Gunn did that but again, not with the charm and humor and relatability that Christian does.

Jamall's was 100% a result of Christian's mentoring.  Take off the muslim and just drape.  I loved it.  I've seen it before but IMO it was the best of a bad bunch. 

Honored Contributor

There wasn't another I liked. Not one.   The only elegance were the two looks from Brandon's February FW show, the gown Gaga wore at the Oscars and the green outfit. 

And those bags!  To die for!  I watched the runway show and didn't even notice them I was so focused on the clothes.

Garo shouldn't have done another corset.  Yes he's the first to make that model look good but 

I'm glad Christian called out Tessa for her eavesdropping but I wished he would take her aside and have a stern chat about her prejudices against the curvy models.

I like that Hester tried something that had been percolating in her brain for a while.  That's what immunity is good for.  Epic fail but the best artists all fail.  It seems like she learned from it. 

Honored Contributor

Jamall's dress is $135. 

IMO that's very reasonable and they show it on the model from the show and also on a fat model.  Beyond curvy.  She's fat.   Perfect summer dress.  Not elegant IMO but a nice dress.

My friend hasn't got Bishme's jacket yet.  It still says pre-sale so how can the shirt be sold out?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the show.  Yes, better than the original on Bravo.  Forget about Lifetime, it was horrible IMO.

Until basketball it was consistently in the top 25 cable shows of the week.  That's very impressive.

I can't figure out the time frame.  Was that episode shot after FW in February or did they post-edit Brandon's looks in there?  I don't know how the final runways can line up with Spring/Summer Fashion Week (ETA which is Sept. 5-13, so that's out) and also  --

-- I don't understand why they made such a big deal about Top Ten.  That's new.  And IMO irrelevant.  Okay, there were 16 now there's 10, who cares?  Not me.