Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 4/18 - Back to Bravo! Spoilers

Agree that Jamall could have gone home but buh-bye Rakun.  Venny is a lucky man, his was horrible.

Most of them completely missed the point, a character couldn't move in the clothes.  Bishme was so bad!  It was for a royal wedding in Thailand not a video game LOL.  I liked Renee's but she's done it before, in the camping challenge and maybe one more?  anybody? and it's not for a video game.  

I'd love to know how much input the designers/execs had that the output was so off.

Honored Contributor

Finally got around to watching the show.  

I’m really at a loss on this challenge.  I don’t do gaming and never have, unless you consider Candy Crush or Pet Rescue Saga, but those don’t have characters.  So, my critiques probably reflect that.

Garo: I actually liked this look.  Yes, it looks pretty much like what I assume is on games today, and it came across a bit costumey.  But, he was true to his story.

Renee: I liked this one.

Rakan: That’s just a no, no, no.  I loved the comment about it looking like really big duct tape.

Lela: Interesting look.  I don’t remember her story though.  Didn’t like the parts hanging down.

Sonia: It’s just ok, and she agrees

Tessa: I really liked this look.  Of the top 3 looks, I would’ve chosen that one.

Sebastian: It was an ok look

Hester:  I know she won, but I did not like her design. I don’t like the way the fabric bunches up under the cross straps which also pulls the top up. So, if I were searing it I would be continually pulling my shirt down. 

Jamall: That was pretty bad.

Venny: Didn’t care for this one at all.  The cape is awful.

Bishme: That was strange.  It also kinda looked like his “heart” deflated.

Can’t disagree with their decision on who should go home.

So, on day 2 they didn’t get started working in the work room until like 1:00 pm.  The at home shots were done around 10:30 am, so looks like they get a slow morning and don’t get started until after lunch?  I guess that’s why they can take a boat ride after they get done at midnight.  I would rather get started earlier, skip the boat ride, and go to bed.  Or, if they’re going to get started so late in the day, do the fun, relaxing stuff in the morning.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

I’m really at a loss on this challenge.  I don’t do gaming and never have, unless you consider Candy Crush or Pet Rescue Saga, but those don’t have characters.  So, my critiques probably reflect that.

Garo: I actually liked this look.  Yes, it looks pretty much like what I assume is on games today, and it came across a bit costumey.  But, he was true to his story.

Rakan: That’s just a no, no, no.  I loved the comment about it looking like really big duct tape.

Lela: Interesting look.  I don’t remember her story though.  Didn’t like the parts hanging down.

Tessa: I really liked this look.  Of the top 3 looks, I would’ve chosen that one.

Hester:  I know she won, but I did not like her design. I don’t like the way the fabric bunches up under the cross straps which also pulls the top up. So, if I were searing it I would be continually pulling my shirt down. 

So, on day 2 they didn’t get started working in the work room until like 1:00 pm.  The at home shots were done around 10:30 am, so looks like they get a slow morning and don’t get started until after lunch?  I guess that’s why they can take a boat ride after they get done at midnight.  I would rather get started earlier, skip the boat ride, and go to bed.  Or, if they’re going to get started so late in the day, do the fun, relaxing stuff in the morning.

I couldn't agree with you more on everything you just said/wrote.  Well said. Especially the last paragraph about getting to the workroom at 1 pm and taking a boat ride after midnight. If I was working all day long, I'd be dead on my feet and wanting to go to sleep.

I'm not a gamer and was wondering what these characters wore and thought Garo's was it and that was one of the reasons I loved it so much.  I only play Candy Crush myself and the only characters they have are the ones when you win something and other places I think.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more on everything you just said/wrote.  Well said. Especially the last paragraph about getting to the workroom at 1 pm and taking a boat ride after midnight. If I was working all day long, I'd be dead on my feet and wanting to go to sleep.

I'm not a gamer and was wondering what these characters wore and thought Garo's was it and that was one of the reasons I loved it so much.  I only play Candy Crush myself and the only characters they have are the ones when you win something and other places I think.  LOL

Ladies!!!

First off they didn't take a recreational "boat ride" -- they took the ferry from Manhattan to Brooklyn to get home!  Totally legit mode of travel.  Not a cruise, a practical but to them enjoyable thing.

Also:  Garo's outfit was not appropriate.  Do you want your kids and grandkids or anyone else's playing SIM games with a dominatrix in them? 

They had to put him in top three because it was so fierce but covered cleavage doesn't make it not BDSM.  The more I've thought about it I wish it hadn't been top three because it belongs in Adults Only video games.

That wasn't the challenge, and the female execs talked themselves blue (no pun intended) about wanting more empowered female characters and that whip is not the kind of power to which they were referring.

Hester's looked great, video-game fashion-forward, animated and that counted too.  

I'm tired of Garo talking about loving raves now his old job dressing dominatrices.  He's inserting BDSM, drugs and hedonism into the show time after time culminating in that outfit and I don't like it.  Next week he'll be talking about how some of his favorite hookups high on Molly at raves.  Young ears are paying attention and I don't care if they've heard worse, they shouldn't hear it on Project Runway!

Honored Contributor

And I don't care what people do in private.  But I don't want to hear it from Garo on Project Runway.  I am so curious what the Cardi B challenge will be.  I'm a big fan of her music and her story.  American dream stuff.  Now that she's very rich she's so fashion forward and chic.  Will Garo put her in a stripper outfit?   

Honored Contributor

Wow.  Can't even link to his web site because most of his stuff is racy and some of it is just lewd.  And he's another one who misuses "couture." 

There's someone (Tessa?) who says they're "bespoke couture."  Those two things are mutually exclusive.  It should say "bespoke and couture." 

Anyway nothing on Garo's site I saw looks hand sewn.  No doubt he's successful, he demands half the money up front which is not usual.

I am not against Garo.  I'm against his elevation of drugs and sex on drugs and BDSM on Project Runway.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori@SWEET, I know when they left the workroom someone said something about about catching the ferry home, but then as they were getting on the ferry someone said something like "I don't know what to expect.  Are they going to have sewing machines set up?" which made me think the ferry ride was not a nightly thing.  

If the challenge was about women's empowerment, then really Tess' should have won.  Even one of the judges noted that her garment/story was the epitome of women's empowerment. 

At least the judges picked up on what Garo was going for and that the "x" meant don't go there.  I don't remember him saying that during his critique, so can only assume they weren't told that part.  His was too much of a costume though.  There are ways to incorporate that aesthitic without it being so literal.  As far as him talking about it in the workroom, the workroom is an all-adult environment, and what we see is only a snippet of what goes on in there, so your beef really is with the producers in what they are showing us.  I'm sure there was plenty of non-dominatrix conversations that ended up on the cutting room floor.  And, even though it appered that Renee was a bit bothered by his hammering, I actually appreciated his comment about how you needed to do that with heavy leather.  One of the few sewing tips we'll probably get the entire season. 

You know, the producers are only showing us what THEY want us to see, and I'm sure there's a reason behind what they show us, and that they are trying to manipulate how we feel about any particular designer.  

I know nothing about Cardi B except that I guess she's a hip hop artist.  Not my style, so I may not be able to relate to this week's episode either.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori@SWEET, I know when they left the workroom someone said something about about catching the ferry home, but then as they were getting on the ferry someone said something like "I don't know what to expect.  Are they going to have sewing machines set up?" which made me think the ferry ride was not a nightly thing.  

If the challenge was about women's empowerment, then really Tess' should have won.  Even one of the judges noted that her garment/story was the epitome of women's empowerment. 

At least the judges picked up on what Garo was going for and that the "x" meant don't go there.  I don't remember him saying that during his critique, so can only assume they weren't told that part.  His was too much of a costume though.  There are ways to incorporate that aesthitic without it being so literal.  As far as him talking about it in the workroom, the workroom is an all-adult environment, and what we see is only a snippet of what goes on in there, so your beef really is with the producers in what they are showing us.  I'm sure there was plenty of non-dominatrix conversations that ended up on the cutting room floor.  And, even though it appered that Renee was a bit bothered by his hammering, I actually appreciated his comment about how you needed to do that with heavy leather.  One of the few sewing tips we'll probably get the entire season. 

You know, the producers are only showing us what THEY want us to see, and I'm sure there's a reason behind what they show us, and that they are trying to manipulate how we feel about any particular designer.  

I know nothing about Cardi B except that I guess she's a hip hop artist.  Not my style, so I may not be able to relate to this week's episode either.

and @SWEET 

As far as the ferry it's a great option for commuters but more money.  You could tell Bravo, as they always do, made special arrangements since they had an area all to themselves which wouldn't normally happen.  

As far as the editing kids watch it too, Lifetime even had a kids version with Christian as judge and I'm no prude but I don't find it appropriate.   

I get it that it's on the production company and Bravo but I find it regrettable.  Would you want your kid or grandchild going, What's a rave?  What's bondage?  Maybe that's why it was pushed back an hour?  I'm purely speculating. 

Give me background like Hester moving her great NYC life to New Mexico to help take care of her sick father rather than Garo's sex and drugs and fetishes.

Anyway I watched again and wrote down some things said during the critique, as fast as I could write:

Nina, after complimenting Garo's construction:  "My only concern is the S&M messaging. [you can hear Karlie and I think the guest judge/game exec agreeing].  That is not the definition of a powerful woman.  It is a very cliche point of view."  

I LOVE that Nina said that.  That is not the definition of a powerful woman.  Said by a powerful woman in the presence of other powerful women.

And the game design exec judge said, "I will say the sexy dominatrix is not an unseen character in video games.  In terms of innovation like for the actual character this is a little bit less so."

Of Hester's:

The game design exec judge said, "I'm obsessed.  I can imagine the character making a lot of moves, taking the lead..."  She later said, "I chose Hester for moving us forward."

Brandon said, "Young men and young women want to wear it."

And Nina said, "It was wholesome."  

I love Nina's comments and the design exec judge was clear Garo's failed two ways.  Watching it the second time I thought of Aeon Flux from long ago.

I loved Tessa's best but it wasn't forward-looking and that was the other piece of the challenge:  new types of female-empowered video game characters.. 

I thought Tessa's was fabulous though, so fully realized,.  She had the perfect model for it and I loved it head to toe and sack and styling.. But like I said already it would have fit in the SIM games my nephew played years ago and this was supposed to be forward-looking.

Honored Contributor

Description of next week's challenge:

"The designers are surprised with an invitation to a Brandon Maxwell photo shoot featuring Karlie Kloss; the final 10 designers will have to impress Maxwell with their take on elegance; then they are faced with a flash sale challenge."

Promos for next week:

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/episode-7/videos/can-hester-sunshine-make-pasties-e...

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/episode-7/videos/tessa-clark-says-gary-garo-sparo-s...

Pasties, corset, elegant, flash sale?  Is this two different challenges LOL?

Honored Contributor

I really questioned Tessa's starting with her telling Christian her vision at Mood all the way up to the runway show, especially the part about her carrying a flour sack on the runway.  But, I ended up liking hers the best, whether it is forward-looking or not.  Like I said earlier, I don't do gaming, never have, so I don't kow what was, or is in the gaming world except what I've seen on TV shows which would be more like Garo's model, literally, which is not what they wanted.