Respected Contributor

Re: Project Runway 10/19 Spoiler

@LoriLori, thanks for the memories! In the beginning, PR was a thrill to watch!

I loved Season 2's unconventional challenge where the designers went to the flower district & had to create a dress from what they'd bought there.

Daniel Vosovic didn't win that challenge, but his dress was lovely....just like him.

Daniel-Vosovic-garden-flower_l.jpg

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

Nena and Zach keep talking about how this is suppose to be high fashion and I haven't seen any of that yet. I would like to see them create some real designs like a ball gown or wedding dress. Things that people would actually wear and purchase. Not just wait until the runway show at the end to see a collection. I want to see real designs that are different and beautiful for the real world.

@Kitlynn, forgive me if I'm wrong but sounds like you haven't watched the show from day one.

I don't know that people "actually wear and purchase" ballgowns anymore but the very first season, which aired on Bravo and was produced by a different, better company, had a wedding gown challenge.  It's one of my favorites, they had to design the models' ideal wedding gown.

No one said it's supposed to be high fashion; it's not.  Most of all fashion is ready-to-wear.  Few designers get to design the beautiful dresses let alone avant garde.  

I suggest you watch the first five seasons, they will make you much happier than the stuff that's on now.

I have actually watched every season since it came on the air. I don't think I really was clear in what I was trying to say! LOL I just meant that I don't feel like I have seen any real "fashion" design this season. There hasn't been anything outstanding from any of the designers to me. Zach and Nena are always saying that it should be high end fashion design and that this is the time for the designers to shine! I don't think the judges have that great of taste either. Now this is all just my opinion and what I would like to see in the shows.

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

Nena and Zach keep talking about how this is suppose to be high fashion and I haven't seen any of that yet. I would like to see them create some real designs like a ball gown or wedding dress. Things that people would actually wear and purchase. Not just wait until the runway show at the end to see a collection. I want to see real designs that are different and beautiful for the real world.

@Kitlynn, forgive me if I'm wrong but sounds like you haven't watched the show from day one.

I don't know that people "actually wear and purchase" ballgowns anymore but the very first season, which aired on Bravo and was produced by a different, better company, had a wedding gown challenge.  It's one of my favorites, they had to design the models' ideal wedding gown.

No one said it's supposed to be high fashion; it's not.  Most of all fashion is ready-to-wear.  Few designers get to design the beautiful dresses let alone avant garde.  

I suggest you watch the first five seasons, they will make you much happier than the stuff that's on now.

I have actually watched every season since it came on the air. I don't think I really was clear in what I was trying to say! LOL I just meant that I don't feel like I have seen any real "fashion" design this season. There hasn't been anything outstanding from any of the designers to me. Zach and Nena are always saying that it should be high end fashion design and that this is the time for the designers to shine! I don't think the judges have that great of taste either. Now this is all just my opinion and what I would like to see in the shows.

@Kitlynn, thanks for clarifying!  Now I know exactly what you're saying:  The quality of the contestants and the challenges has gone steadily down with each new season.  I totally agree. 

In the first few years the challenges were aspirational -- when they went to be inspired at the Met, and ones based on editorial photo shoots, and Red Carpet, and future fashion, based on fashion icons, and Barbie who at least has some fashion cred LOL,  and even that great challenge in season one where they had to redesign the women's postal uniform for style and practicality.

And Michael Kors is a much more successful designer and was much better judge than Zac Posen.

ITA with you now that I know what you meant.  The quality of designers has gone steadily down, Zac Posen doesn't have the gravitas to be a judge, the guest designers almost entirely have no fashion credibility unlike in the old days when we had people like Betsy Johnson, and the challenges are almost all for sale and not based in aspiration or inspiration.  And with all that -- perhaps because of all that -- the quality of contestants has gone way down.

Did I get it right this time?  Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

I am glad Tim did not use his save.

I have not liked one design Michael created this season. Nor that he stormed off when Claire won. As stated before Margarita and Michael should have spoke up the first time they saw it happen. I hope Margarita goes next week.

I really hope next season is better, design wise. Not one thing has wowed me this season. Smiley Sad

And no more conventional challenges for this group.  

Honored Contributor

@DrKelliwrote:

...I don't remember the designer's name (but he was kind of a tool in the "real woman" challenge)-he designed a beautiful dress in the candy store challenge.

Rami

@DrKelli, above is Rami Kashou's winning candy wrapper dress from season 4.   He's another one who has been a successful niche designer, focusing on upscale, often custom looks.

They repeated the challenge in season 10, which produced Ven Buddhu's gorgeous winning dress made of crushed rock candy.  

Ven

Neither of them was a nice guy.  Neither was nice in the "real woman" challenge but I think you mean Ven, he was a meaner meanie.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

@Kitlynn, thanks for clarifying!  Now I know exactly what you're saying:  The quality of the contestants and the challenges has gone steadily down with each new season.  I totally agree. 

In the first few years the challenges were aspirational -- when they went to be inspired at the Met, and ones based on editorial photo shoots, and Red Carpet, and future fashion, based on fashion icons, and Barbie who at least has some fashion cred LOL,  and even that great challenge in season one where they had to redesign the women's postal uniform for style and practicality.

And Michael Kors is a much more successful designer and was much better judge than Zac Posen.

ITA with you now that I know what you meant.  The quality of designers has gone steadily down, Zac Posen doesn't have the gravitas to be a judge, the guest designers almost entirely have no fashion credibility unlike in the old days when we had people like Betsy Johnson, and the challenges are almost all for sale and not based in aspiration or inspiration.  And with all that -- perhaps because of all that -- the quality of contestants has gone way down.

@LoriLori - in my opinion they need to do away with the guest judges.  Most of the time I'm asking myself who is this person.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I loved Season 2's unconventional challenge where the designers went to the flower district & had to create a dress from what they'd bought there.

Daniel Vosovic didn't win that challenge, but his dress was lovely....just like him.

@sabatini, yes, Daniel!   That lovely flower dress!   I think he did win that challenge.  He was a sweetheart and a very gifted designer.   I preferred his NYFW collection to that of season winner Chloe Dao.  

Santino's NYFW collection was my favorite, and the internet crowned Kara Janx's decoy collection the winner before the episode eliminating her aired.  The good old days when there was a wealth of talent.

That season was bursting with talent and fun.  Remember Santino's riffs about Andre and Tim at the Red Lobster?  Hahahahaha.  Good times and great designs!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

@LoriLori - in my opinion they need to do away with the guest judges.  Most of the time I'm asking myself who is this person.

ITA, they're a joke. B-list or obscure actresses.  The woman from Lexus.  The country singer.   The "Real Housewife."

Put that against the first five seasons, alll on Bravo and not by any means a full list: 

Catherine Malandrino, Diane von Furstenberg, Monique Lhullier, Alberta Ferretti, Vera Wang, Betsey Johnson, Richard Tyler, Iman, Badgely & Mishka, Patricia Field,  Roberto Cavalli...

Looking at this list is depressing LOL.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

@sabatini, yes, Daniel!   That lovely flower dress!   I think he did win that challenge.  He was a sweetheart and a very gifted designer.   I preferred his NYFW collection to that of season winner Chloe Dao.  

Santino's NYFW collection was my favorite, and the internet crowned Kara Janx's decoy collection the winner before the episode eliminating her aired.  The good old days when there was a wealth of talent.

That season was bursting with talent and fun.  Remember Santino's riffs about Andre and Tim at the Red Lobster?  Hahahahaha.  Good times and great designs!

Yes, that season did "burst with talent and fun"! Santino and his hilarious Tim impressions ("Andre!"), and designers who impressed and delighted us.

On the occasions that PR has offered up any retrospective shows, I don't bother to watch because they only only go back as far as their 1st season on Lifetime.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

Yes you got it exactly right!!!