Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 10/19 Spoiler

I'm glad Tim Gunn did not use his save on someone who was so utterly unprofessional he had a fit and walked off a runway rather than communicate his concerns to production before Claire won $25,000.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Unfortunately, the sponsors have taken over and it's become more of a commercial than a competition between designers. The unconventional material challenges are more craft than fashion. I want to see fashion not glued together junk. One a season is more than enough.

@occasionalrain, this.  This this this.  The show has deteriorated steadily on Lifetime but never before has an entire season been for sale.  Cars and a kid's movie and dolls and some weird obscure dance troupe and Dixie cups.  Etc. 

The challenges that come from this unwholesome relationship (given its ratings the show makes plenty of money on its own) are vague, unfocused and unnatural (design a Dixie cup!  I'm sure Alexander McQueen and Viv Westwood were inspired by Dixie cups, duh).

It's destroying the show.  I've been with it since day one, years ago I did the weekly threads here starting with the first season and they had hundreds of replies and many thousands of views.  I loved this show.  But if they continue to put a For Sale sign on each challenge next season will be my last.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unconventional challenges can be done well.  Recall the very first challenge of the very first episode, the grocery store challenge, which produced Austen Scarlett's iconic corn husk dress:

corn husk dress

And while we're remembering Mychael Knight, here's his adorable dress made of coffee filters, from season three's unconventional materials challenge where they had to use materials from their residence:

coffee filters

Respected Contributor

I don't remember the designer's name (but he was kind of a tool in the "real woman" challenge)--he designed a beautiful dress in the candy store challenge.

I liked Ayana's dress, it was extremely clever and beautiful!  I wish she would quit adding a hijab on EVERY. SINGLE. DESIGN.  We get it, you like to design modest fashion.

I actually "blinked" and missed the end, but I figured the bungee dress designer was leaving.  If it had been the other, I think Tim Gunn would have used his save.

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I don't remember the designer's name (but he was kind of a tool in the "real woman" challenge)--he designed a beautiful dress in the candy store challenge.

I liked Ayana's dress, it was extremely clever and beautiful!  I wish she would quit adding a hijab on EVERY. SINGLE. DESIGN.  We get it, you like to design modest fashion.

I actually "blinked" and missed the end, but I figured the bungee dress designer was leaving.  If it had been the other, I think Tim Gunn would have used his save.

I disagree I am glad she is showing the hijab. It is showing women that it can be worn with a beautiful dress. I think it is inspiring.

Respected Contributor

Both bottom designs were awful but it was pointed out how meticulously Kentaro's was sewn. Michael's was a mess from every angle. 

Had Kentaro been eliminated, I wonder if Tim would have used his save.  Kentaro has been one of the better designers week after week.

In one of his confessions Michael mentioned he thought Ayana was in trouble.  Those confessions are usually a kiss of death and the featured designer is eliminated.

Kenya wears that leopard top every show.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Unfortunately, the sponsors have taken over and it's become more of a commercial than a competition between designers. The unconventional material challenges are more craft than fashion. I want to see fashion not glued together junk. One a season is more than enough.

@occasionalrain

In the first several seasons on Bravo there were very few sponsored challenges. Even now with all the commercial sponsors I still like to see what the designers come up with for the different challenges. Many times the sponsors of the products offer nice cash prizes for the designers so I am ok with it. I actually like the unconventional challenges because it tests their creativity. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm no fashionista but IMO Heidi comes trotting out on that runway in some seriously unattractive outfits.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@DrKelli wrote:

I disagree I am glad she is showing the hijab. It is showing women that it can be worn with a beautiful dress. I think it is inspiring.

@DrKelli, totally agree with @AngusandBuddhasMom.  It's more than that she likes to design modest fashion -- she, herself, seems to wear a hijab all the time.  She's a young, hip and cool Muslim woman in America and I think it's great and she's a role model for all young women.

Honored Contributor

Kenya's dress was derivative and uninspired.  The problem with repeating challenges is that inevitably one thinks of the best the last time around.

They did this same channel on season 5 (on Bravo) and Korto Momolu made a beautiful coat made of seat belts woven together.  I think this is why Tim Gunn suggested Kenya weave them.  

I couldn't believe Kenya's dress was in the top.  And I can't stand her own personal lack of style.  She looks like a pool ball with lips drawn on.

Here is Korto's lovely, inspired coat made of seat belts she wove together, which was not even the winning design, that's how competitive PR was in those days:

Korto's