Honored Contributor

Product placement in Hallmark Christmas movies

We've been joking how many minutes it will take before we spot a sponsor's product in a Hallmark movie.  Last night we saw a Balsam Hill box and a big canister of Folger's.

Respected Contributor

Re: Product placement in Hallmark Christmas movies

[ Edited ]

@AuntG  -  We laughed about this too, I can't remember the movie, but it's one of the Royal Christmas movies and the boyfriend (prince) shows up in the first minute of the movie holding a WalMart bag.  Folger's also makes an appearance.

Honored Contributor

I was passing through channels this morning - so I don't remember the show (it wasn't Hallmark). But there was a roll of paper towels and super imposed was the word Bounty.

The word was larger than the roll of paper towels. So letter B and Y were not on the roll of paper towels.

Guess we are going to see more of this.

Honored Contributor

Ha!  I was watching one of them yesterday and and he had the Costco size Folgers can in front of him.

At least it's brief.  Some shows go on and on about it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

The Folgers can cracked me up. When Hallmark does this, they are so obvious that's it's ridiculous!

Was that the movie with Mariah C & the school pagent? That whole movie was a mess. I really like the lead actress & actor a lot, but MC RUINED it.

Didn't she direct it, too? If so, that explains a lot. She's a mess, so of course the movie would be.

Btw, I love Hallmark movies most of the time.  Heart

Honored Contributor

This product placement has been going on for years.....unfortunately.  It just goes over my head these days because I noticed it a long time ago.

Who doesn't see a show when they flip up the laptop cover or show it doesn't show the APPLE emblem?  I was surprised recently when I was watching a show and on the cover as they flipped up the laptop it said something silly like (not the real one I forget it)..."Stupid".

Not only that goes on but in the recent year we have shows inserting political digs.  The reference to cheetos in so many things is crazy.  Places where you'd otherwise not even think about it.

Respected Contributor

You're right, it has.

But Hallmarks way of doing it is hilarious. Their product placement item gets special lighting...hair & makeup, for it's close-up- LOL.  

Respected Contributor

The obvious product placements aren't the worst thing about the bad movies. Hallmark holiday movies are awful. Predictable, saccharine, and without the deep character development needed to stir genuine emotion. I can't watch them. They are like superficial greeting cards come to life. I doubt they've gotten any better since I tried to watch one about three years ago and quickly changed the channel.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

The obvious product placements aren't the worst thing about the bad movies. Hallmark holiday movies are awful. Predictable, saccharine, and without the deep character development needed to stir genuine emotion. I can't watch them. They are like superficial greeting cards come to life. I doubt they've gotten any better since I tried to watch one about three years ago and quickly changed the channel.

Me, I’m deeply into predictable and saccharine in a Christmas movie.

I sort of trust myself to fill in the character development.

I LOVE a nice authentic version of “A Christmas Carol” too.

Great that you’ve found out where your tastes lie, @libbyannE!