Honored Contributor

Re: PreSophie 's Choice -NO!

@LoriLoriAs I posted, I only got a few minutes into the movie.  I saw nothing of the descriptions you mentioned.  I taught because I respect all people and the paths they have walked.  You inflated my post and ignored half of what I said.

Your unkind remarks and accusations are totally out of place. 

Have a nice day.

Regular Contributor

Thank you.  Like yours too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had trouble with the content of Sophie's Choice but watched knowing full well the story line and because that time in history should never be forgotten. The more we know, the more we will condemn the Nazi regime exploiting and exterminating the Jews and never allow that kind of government to ever exist again!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@LoriLoriAs I posted, I only got a few minutes into the movie.  I saw nothing of the descriptions you mentioned.  I taught because I respect all people and the paths they have walked.  You inflated my post and ignored half of what I said.

Your unkind remarks and accusations are totally out of place. 

Have a nice day.

@ECBG  I was not unkind.  You hearted my post, maybe by mistake? 

Someone asked you why you shut it after half an hour and you didn't answer her so yes I took offense to dismiss the movie but not say why, given the very sensitive and important subject matter.

Respected Contributor

Sophie was a Polish Catholic...I have yet to read or hear of a choice jews had between children...

Regular Contributor

Missed the entire point.............good grief.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

Sophie was a Polish Catholic...I have yet to read or hear of a choice jews had between children...

Please do not think me unkind -- @ECBG I am sorry you think me unkind, I never meant it that way -- when I tell you that Polish Catholics were killed in Auschwitz and other camps. 

And no one knows everything that went on but I have no trouble believing some women among the millions (including Catholics and other religions, including all women with children) were asked to choose between one child.  Some of the guards were more sadistic than others.  And if that happened the child they chose was probably killed also.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@Justice4all wrote:

Please do not think me unkind -- @ECBG I am sorry you think me unkind, I never meant it that way -- when I tell you that Polish Catholics were killed in Auschwitz and other camps. 

And no one knows everything that went on but I have no trouble believing some women among the millions (including Catholics and other religions, including all women with children) were asked to choose between one child.  Some of the guards were more sadistic than others.  And if that happened the child they chose was probably killed also.

Apparently, Styron read an account of a gypsy woman FORCED to choose between children.  In auschwitz, Jewish children went up in smoke, unless of an age and degree of health at which they could be 'worked' to death.  It was called 'the final solution.'  Jewish mothers were not allowed to breast feed, and their babies were killed/thrown in the garbage.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

Apparently, Styron read an account of a gypsy woman FORCED to choose between children somewhere.  Jewish children went up in smoke, unless of an age and degree of health at which they could be 'worked' to death.  It was called 'the final solution.'

I know what it was called and I think it's a disgusting thing for you to say they "went up in smoke." I don't get where you're coming from at all to use a sick phrase like that.

Not all children in the camps were killed. Some survived. Not all were put to work yet they survived.   Do a little research.  I personally knew three people who were young when they were liberated from Auschwitz. One had a mother who survived as well.

As for Styron he said Sophie was partly based on a woman he knew in Brooklyn. The true story of the gypsy woman appeared (not "apparently" but definitely) in one of the books Styron read by the philosopher Hannah Arendt.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori 

What I have read is that Styron had read 'Five Chimneys' in 1947 by Olga Lengyal.'  She was a Hungarian survivor of auschwitz who served as a medical assistant there.  She describes the arrest of her surgeon husband, and her decision to be deported with him, along with her two sons and her parents.  During 'selection' at auschwitz, she lied about the age of her older son to spare him hard work, and persuaded her mother to follow the children and take care of them.  They were sent to the left, to the gas chambers.  This was her source of relentless guilt.  Styron thought she was Jewish, but she was not.

Elie Weisel was 15 when sent to auschwitz in 1944.

The reason I used up in smoke was because saying gassed and burnt in ovens was too painful.  But since I was misunderstood, I felt I needed to clarify.

Hundreds of people in my family perished then just because they were jews...perished in ways so unspeakable...