Respected Contributor

Pre-determined winner on spring baking championship

so i like to watch this show. was watching last season. season 8.  lots of talented people, for sure. 

Really sucked the fun out of it for me, watching the one girl, keep getting pushed through.  as they give you the back story on each one, she clearly needed the $25,000 prize money the most.   Lived in Harlem, and owned a struggling bakery.

when it was down to the wire, One contestant, (a brilliant baker, and decorator) ended up walking out, rather than do a sudden death bake off.as he got put in the bottom (WHAT?!) and the underdog skated by on a mistake filled offering.  

I think at that point he could see the writing on the walll.

so do you think that some of these competitions are pre-determined???

Honored Contributor

Re: Pre-determined winner on spring baking championship

I think they all are.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

so i like to watch this show. was watching last season. season 8.  lots of talented people, for sure. 

Really sucked the fun out of it for me, watching the one girl, keep getting pushed through.  as they give you the back story on each one, she clearly needed the $25,000 prize money the most.   Lived in Harlem, and owned a struggling bakery.

when it was down to the wire, One contestant, (a brilliant baker, and decorator) ended up walking out, rather than do a sudden death bake off.as he got put in the bottom (WHAT?!) and the underdog skated by on a mistake filled offering.  

@kittyloo   is this the current season?  Saw male & female contestants will do a bake-off next week and didnt see anyone walk away.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  I really enjoy the seasonal baking championships and have wondered if the fix was in. I sure hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. 

Respected Contributor

I watch this show also, and it was not this season.

But the sudden addition of a bake-off starting the finale next time I saw coming from a mile away.

They couldn't let Molly go.  Not yet anyway....and I like her myself.  But it's a baking competition, not a personality contest.

Molly reminds me so much of our Host, Mary.  They could be sisters.  Both great personalities. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo  You are referring to last season. We had a discussion last year about this incident. It was almost obvious and the judges near the end did not look happy. They are professionals and it appeared they were told who to pick that year.  The internet blew up about this. You can find it.

I don't believe the winner is already chosen ahead of time in other seasons but  the bakers do know ahead of time what they will be asked to bake. You can spot recipe cards now and then on their workstations.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rockygems123 wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

@kittyloo   is this the current season?  Saw male & female contestants will do a bake-off next week and didnt see anyone walk away.

@kittyloo 

I think she's talking about last season when at the almost end of the competition a male contestant Remy who I think was from France, stalked off because he had to use sprinkles.  What a mess.  He, to me, was destined to win the whole competion.  I was shocked.

Esteemed Contributor

Compared to this season, last season was a mess. They brought back a contestant for no reason. She may have been likable, but I would have been so angry if she had won! They actually also randomly brought in two guys near the beginning who’s skills were not up to par, and were immediately eliminated (waste of time.). Some of the competitions were childish (ie - make sprinkles, you highly talented baker!) In a way, I didn’t think that guy got enough attention; if I remember correctly, he wasn’t often at the top. This year seems so much more professional!
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I think they all are.

Same here,  DH and I have often thought Hell's Kitchen is that way too, by the way Gordon Ramsey treats certain contestants, scoring their creations and allowing certain ones to stay.  We can often pick who will walk through the door on the final night.

Trusted Contributor

I love watching the shows however Molly Yeh ruined the season.  Couldn't stand her.  I am so happy she was replaced.  I think the kids on Kids baking champ.  acted more like professionals than her.