Esteemed Contributor

I couldn’t sleep so I turned to my favorite movie channel, TCM. I caught a pre-code, i.e., pre-censorship,1933 film starring Barbara Stanwick, “Baby Face.” She played a “kept woman” who slept her way up the financial ladder until she met a man she truly loved. The subject matter was rather startling for a 30s film and the story line, although a bit over the top, was very engrossing, mostly because Stanwick was excellent. In case it’s shown again or it’s featured on demand, try to catch it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just love pre-code movies!!  I saw that one.

Esteemed Contributor

Well I woke up in the wee hours of the morning a few days ago to a movie on TCM and hearing the conversation going on was a little shocky. Had to double check it was TCM. The movie title was Mary Jane's Not A Virgin Anymore. Not sure what year it was made.

Occasional Contributor

Really love TCM because of this. Cat Happy

Frequent Contributor

Love, love, love pre - code films and Babyface is one of my favorites with Barbara Stanwyck and George Brent. I just received the new book Forbidden Hollywood the Pre-code Era When Sin Ruled the Movies. Fascinating and what wonderful photos! I also love silent films......so well done.....so engrossing!

Honored Contributor
Baby Face has a very young John Wayne as one of her early conquests!
Trusted Contributor
@911
Oh I agree...Babyface is just brilliant. And I've always loved George Brent, especially in the classic Bette Davis tearjerker, "Dark Victory."
Stanwyck in "Babyface" was absolutely unrelenting in the way she used men in this movie...what an ambitious, heartless character she played. Until the very end...
I must Google the book you just bought...sounds terrific.
Frequent Contributor

You will love it!

Trusted Contributor

Love TCM!

The original 1930's version of "King Kong" is one of my all time favorite movies. Definitely pre-code as Fay Wray's evening gown slowly and revealingly

disintegrates as she is held hostage by the King.

1930's actresses' costumes were like the halter tops of the 70's.....no undergarments. Alaways taken aback when I watch Love Boat reruns....I don't remember the styles being that skimpy. But I have pictures. Can't believe my parents let me out of the house....lol!

Also remembering watching it as a rerun on TV as a young girl and it wasn't edited even then!

Frequent Contributor

Another one of my favorites is The  Bitter Tea of General Yen with Barbara Stanwyck and Nils Asther.........love that movie. One of Frank Capra's best!