Honored Contributor

Post office ad "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"

I am super sick of seeing this commercial!  The song was cute the first few times but I find it super annoying now.  But more important, this commercial is everywhere, daytime, prime time, over and over -- huge ad budget. 

Why does the post office get to use our tax dollars for a spectacularly large ad buy?  For what purpose?  Do they think we'll forget the post office exists if they don't advertise?   That we'll stop using it, stop buying stamps, stop sending packages?

I don't think this should be allowed with our money

Frequent Contributor

Re: Post office ad "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"

Every time I see (or hear) the ad, I get that song stuck in my head.  Which is annoying since I don't particularly care for it. 

Great, I'm singing it now - LOL!!! 

Honored Contributor

Guess I am lucky. I have never seen this commercial.

Honored Contributor

Channel Changer. The song is bad but the production, the off putting characters are worse.

Honored Contributor

I didn't even realize the commercial is for the post office.  I sort of zone out during commercials anyway. 

I'd never heard the song until this year. 

None of my stations play it for Christmas songs--even though they do play other dumb songs. 

I've never heard the whole song.  Does it get better?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd rather sing that over and over in my head than that Chevy giggling commercial..........Smiley Sad

"Santa,I want a Chevy for Christmas"   

I also keep the CBS 2 commercial in my head. I run to the tv to mute it when I hear it  come on

"If I were you  ,I'd  want to be me  2 "    ooooooooooooooo noooooooooooo  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

i found this interesting about the creation of the ad

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2016/us-postal-service-hippopotamus-for-christmas/

with all the online purchasing going on and USPS's part in delivering same, i hope that their efforts will help them get to a positive cash flow.  

Honored Contributor

Every time this ad comes on I feel compelled to break out in song.    I really hope they take this one off soon.  I'm tired of singing.

So is DH and (poodle) Wallace.

Contributor

The post office is a privately owned business, it doesn't receive any tax money! It is just regulated by congress!

Esteemed Contributor

I honestly can't remember whether I've seen this commercial, but can't imagine its worse than the Xfinity commercial that I see all the time. The one with the grandparents reading their granddaughter's text complaining about going to their house because they don't have wifi. So they get it for her. Hate that commercial!