Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

So, I've been listing on poshmark - I'm still pretty new and I still don't  understand how it all works - offers/posh parties, etc.  ugh.  

Anyway, I have something new that I don't understand - hoping for some good feedback and maybe an understanding of it.  So, I listed a dress yesterday and got a like and a comment - the person asked a question about the condition and asked that I respond via email which she listed.  I heard back from her and she said that she'd pay extra if I held the dress for her - that she needed to send a money order or cashier's check as payment and after I cashed that then I would send the dress to her.  She just needed to know how much I wanted  the cashier's check to be for, my name and address.   What are your thoughts about all this?

btw, I would have posted this as a new thread, but the new message button has literally disappeared from my universe here on the boards.  Don't know how to get it back.

SCAM, SCAM AND SCAM 

please tell me you didn't answer her

just block this person and report as off site transactions 

I will answer any questions you have and in the meantime please read the FAQ and howto s 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear  @NickNack 

Thank you both for the reply! 

Well, it certainly felt weird to me but thought I check it out here for other opinions.  Maybe there was something I did't know or didn't understand about it? 

I did check poshmark to see if they had some policy with alternate payments (i.e. money order, cashier's check), but didn't see anything specifically mentioning it either way, which probably means it's not a thing there.  with ebay it is or used to be.   

I'm not ok with a stealth transaction it's not ethical. Also @nicknack was right paypal is very easy to sign up for.   

It does feel like a scam (like those nigerian emails), but what exactly is the scam?  

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars   I don't think it would be listed in Poshmark under alternate payments.  It would be listed as being contacted outside of Poshmark.  That's not allowed.

I do think @jackthebear  is correct and this is a scam.  I would not reply to the email.  If anyone ever asks you again to respond to them by email please do not do it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@jackthebear  @NickNack 

Thank you both for the reply! 

Well, it certainly felt weird to me but thought I check it out here for other opinions.  Maybe there was something I did't know or didn't understand about it? 

I did check poshmark to see if they had some policy with alternate payments (i.e. money order, cashier's check), but didn't see anything specifically mentioning it either way, which probably means it's not a thing there.  with ebay it is or used to be.   

I'm not ok with a stealth transaction it's not ethical. Also @nicknack was right paypal is very easy to sign up for.   

It does feel like a scam (like those nigerian emails), but what exactly is the scam?  

Oldest scam in the world 

I'll pay u more than the dress is listed for simply send me a check 

u send the check and they cash it 

the buyer pays Poshmark and one they get their order Poshmark gives the seller the money 

because u have gone off site Poshmark will it act on your behalf

The scammers look for the newbies just block them with the 3 dots at the top right 

spend time reading in the help area the mechanics of how to list sell and get your money 

More questions just ask 

I want u to spend time reading on how posh works 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack @jackthebear   Thank you both for the counsel and advice.  

She seems to have deleted herself!  Her posted comment is now gone from my listing.  The like still remains.   

So, ok, I won't comply with requests for a private email from now on.  In my defense I'm used to ebay where you are more able to interact with other ebayers.  Plus, I tend to be nice so thought if that just worked better for someone who doesn't usually check in on poshmark then, ok.  But no more being naive!

Jackthebear, I still don't understand the scam and I do like to have an understanding of things.  Here was the proposal:  I hold the dress for her to buy from me and she sends me a bank or cashiers check as payment. I cash it.  And then after I do, I send her the dress.  The only personal thing would be I would need to give her a name and address to send to.  Thoughts?

Thanks again guys Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@NickNack @jackthebear   Thank you both for the counsel and advice.  

She seems to have deleted herself!  Her posted comment is now gone from my listing.  The like still remains.   

So, ok, I won't comply with requests for a private email from now on.  In my defense I'm used to ebay where you are more able to interact with other ebayers.  Plus, I tend to be nice so thought if that just worked better for someone who doesn't usually check in on poshmark then, ok.  But no more being naive!

Jackthebear, I still don't understand the scam and I do like to have an understanding of things.  Here was the proposal:  I hold the dress for her to buy from me and she sends me a bank or cashiers check as payment. I cash it.  And then after I do, I send her the dress.  The only personal thing would be I would need to give her a name and address to send to.  Thoughts?

Thanks again guys Smiley Happy

usually the check is a dud, and they get the item for free.

from what I can tell the scammers on Poshmark cruise looking for newbies, and high value items , I guess the goal is to get your info and stuff for free

anyway if you get those messages, click the flag by the comment and it will go away, I usually relist as well.

no direct messaging is a drawback on PM.  

anymore Qs reach out.  there is a good group on face book  all for posh mark 

check it out.