Respected Contributor

Re: Popular, well-loved movies that you dislike

@Suzeecat wrote:

Just thought of another one:  There's Something About Mary.  Most people say that it's one of the funniest movies ever.  I thought it was horrible and stupid and couldn't finish it.  I guess it's just not my type of humor, although I like Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz.

I'm so happy to see that I am not alone in disliking that movie.   As another poster said, I guess it's a generational thing, because I just found it to be vulgar and not at all funny.

Honored Contributor

Aaaarrrggghh

I can't be in the same room with this.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Gone With the Wind - I fell asleep through it. It was boring, and too long. I've never been a fan of historical romances, and GWTW is proof of why.

The Godfather and The Godfather II - like historical romances, not a fan of mafia movies.

Just about any well-loved western - again, not a genre I find entertaining or enjoyable.

Haute Tension - I heard so many good things about this horror movie, and being a big horror fan, I was looking forward to finally watching it. The twist ending was a big disappointment for me, as the first half of the film was very suspenseful. 

The Blair Witch Project - I rented this after it came out on video and my brother and I watched it. At the end, we both wondered why so many people were scared of this, it was boring and the actors annoying. I would have been mad paying good money to see this in a theater. 

Respected Contributor

AMERICAN BEAUTY.

Respected Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

Everybody sit down, and start throwing tomatoes at me, rotten ones at that....

FORREST GUMP

Like I said, start throwing!!!

Not My fav either. It was ok until the last 30 minutes and then it went off the rails--apparently Forrest originated every pop culture trend including the smiley face. Ruined it for me.

Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews was torture to sit through. Thought it would never ever end.

The Cats movie just creeps me out from the promo material alone. Mutant human cat creatures.

And I agree with those who thought the Titanic actors were mismatched. Kate looked like Leo's older sister.

Honored Contributor

As I said, Love, Actually actually turns my stomach, but there are some films I just can't seem to connect with.

Titanic

Jurassic Park

The Silence of the Lambs

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

There are some ensemble movies that tend to rub me the wrong way, too.

The Big Chill comes to mind.

Speaking of being rubbed the wrong way, Four Weddings and a Funeral is becoming intolerable.  Maybe it always was...

Honored Contributor

All musical's.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

All Hallmark movies
Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
All Hallmark movies

Definitely!  I used to think Lifetime movies were just the worst - until I saw some of the HM movies.  They are all so very, very bad and pretty much the same thing over and over.

I'm surprised they come in the 'well loved' category.   If it weren't for 'Frasier' I would not see anything on the HM channel.