Valued Contributor

Re: Popular, well-loved movies that you dislike

Anything Star Wars or Star Trek.   Also most westerns and war movies.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL about smacking almost all the characters in Gone With The Wind.

Mine is "The English Patient".  It was all the rage when it came out, but I found it horrible, dull, and slow.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Are there any movies that you dislike that everyone else seem to love?

I’ll start.

Gone With the Wind

I dislike all of the characters except Rhett. Ashley is a spineless wimp. Melanie is sickening saccharine sweet. There is nothing to like about Scarlet. I pretty much feel like smacking everyone in the movie except Clark Gable and Hattie McDaniel. The slave stereotypes are awful. I will say visually it has stunning cinematography and costumes.

I'm with you on this one, Bikerbabe.     For me it was mostly about having read the book first.  I was out of the country and had limited opportunities, at one point, for reading material in English.   This was one of the books I got and had never seen the movie.   The book was great!

At some point after I was back in the states I had occasion to watch the movie and I didn't like it at all.  I figured it was mostly just me, as it was always lauded as such a classic, beautiful movie.  

I figure that when you read a book you get your own pictures of the things happening.  Then, when somebody makes a movie from the book you are seeing their pictures and there can be great disparity in the two views.  Smiley Happy

About the only movie I ever saw that I thought was every bit as good as the book was  'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.    I had also read that book during that same time and saw the movie after the fact.    They really killed it with the movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Titanic. I tried watching that movie a couple times, and never got past the first hour. The plot was boring-took too long for anything to happen- characters not interesting, and movie overrated. The scene where DiCaprio claims to be  "King of the World" has got to be one of most annoying scenes ever. 

I know Leo has a lot of fans, otherwise, he would not be one of the richest men in the world, but I think he has no male sex appeal.  I find him almost repugnant and the way he goes out with girls (almost teen girls) and then hides his face in his jacket and walks far ahead of them.  It's disgusting and I find him either a male chauvanist pig or question his masculinity or both.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Silver Linings Playbook.

Gave it a couple of tries, but couldn't get into it.

Field of Dreams. 

Also, Dances With Wolves and Titanic.

Except I had to sit through Dances, since it was in a movie theater with a friend.  I only made it about 10 minutes into Titanic.  

Honored Contributor

A Christmas Story

"You'll shoot your eye out kid"

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
This is hard to say because I’m a Cary Grant fan....

His acting in An Affair to Remember is terrible, especially in that last scene. I don’t care for the movie either. 😳

And that's my FAVORITE part of the film!!! 

Differents strokes, as they say.

Frequent Contributor

Oh, my gosh! I thought what an insipid movie. If it wasn't for looking at Brad Pitt I would have turned it off. I actually was a teenager during this timeline. The music was good. The story was trash.

Esteemed Contributor

Braveheart and any Lord of the Rings movie, Hobbit, etc.

Frequent Contributor

I meant to put this with  the "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" post.

Sorry