Honored Contributor

Popular, well-loved movies that you dislike

Are there any movies that you dislike that everyone else seem to love?

I’ll start.

Gone With the Wind

I dislike all of the characters except Rhett. Ashley is a spineless wimp. Melanie is sickening saccharine sweet. There is nothing to like about Scarlet. I pretty much feel like smacking everyone in the movie except Clark Gable and Hattie McDaniel. The slave stereotypes are awful. I will say visually it has stunning cinematography and costumes.
Respected Contributor

Re: Popular, well-loved movies that you dislike

I thought the movie "Titanic" was spectacular, the attention to detail and the grand scale of it all was awesome.  The acting was good, but I felt absolutely no chemistry between Cate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.  I thought they could have done a better job casting those roles, but I honestly don't have a better suggestion.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe 

Are you talking about the storyline?  Or the production?

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Are there any movies that you dislike that everyone else seem to love?

I’ll start.

Gone With the Wind

I dislike all of the characters except Rhett. Ashley is a spineless wimp. Melanie is sickening saccharine sweet. There is nothing to like about Scarlet. I pretty much feel like smacking everyone in the movie except Clark Gable and Hattie McDaniel. The slave stereotypes are awful. I will say visually it has stunning cinematography and costumes.

@bikerbabe , That one would be first on my list, I don't find the old south romantic in the least, also I don't get Star Wars.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Just about any Julia Roberts film.

Honored Contributor

That Christmas movie starring Jimmy Stewart.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I thought the movie "Titanic" was spectacular, the attention to detail and the grand scale of it all was awesome.  The acting was good, but I felt absolutely no chemistry between Cate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.  I thought they could have done a better job casting those roles, but I honestly don't have a better suggestion.

@Suzeecat I was going to say the same thing.  Leonardo has a baby face and she looked to old for him.  Same with Top Gun

Honored Contributor

titanic

pulp fiction

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never understood the popularity of Field of Dreams.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Let's see, @bikerbabe.  I somewhat agree with you about "Gone With the Wind".  Some of the musical score was stirring, and I love character actor Thomas Mitchell who played Gerald O'Hara, Scarlett's father.  But the film as a whole is not a favorite of mine.

Mostly when I dislike a film it's because there's some sort of cold or cynical heart to it --  I'm thinking of "Carnal Knowledge", written by Jules Ffeiffer.  Can remember when I first saw it how repelled I was by its world view.  Or if it's too nakedly formulaic and maniulative of emotions--  "Love Story" fills that bill for me, ha.

I'm sorry I'm drawing a blank on others, but I know there are more!  Will add later if they come to mind...