Trusted Contributor

Re: Poldark - Possible Spoilers - November 2016

First of all - what rape scene??  I don't remember a rape - Elizabeth was very willing!  Now to my real question.  Has anyone read the entire series.  Twelve books!  Want to read them but do I have the patience to read all?  How long is each - are they an easy read?

Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I will continue to watch as I LOVE this show and Aidan Turner.  What reallymakes me mad is that about 7 minutes were cut from last nights's episode!😤  I just HATE that this show is edited from the U.K. version.  I cannot wait until 11-22 when the DVD's of series 2 are released.  Then the episodes will make more sense as I can watch them in their entirety. 

I have seen the cut minutes online and the scene with Elizabeth was not as consensual as it appeared on US screens. Ross is disgusting, no matter how good looking he is. I never realized what a soap opera this show was and I am done with it.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@gonnab wrote:

First of all - what rape scene??  I don't remember a rape - Elizabeth was very willing!  Now to my real question.  Has anyone read the entire series.  Twelve books!  Want to read them but do I have the patience to read all?  How long is each - are they an easy read?

I know, when i read the comment i was like what???  

Honored Contributor

I've read all 12; they are average length and an easy read. However, the discriptions of the characters don't  match with the TV cast, not as appealing to me so I had to skip over them.

Also, Demalza is not so outspoken as was befitting to the time period. I like Winston  Graham's writing. I like that he does his research so that the historical references are accurate.

Respected Contributor

When I mentioned the rape scene I was referring to the actual book.  Elizabeth clearly tells Ross no.  The character Elizabeth has been changed in this version of the TV show. She is now a more sympathetic character.   I have only seen the PBS version of this scene so I do not know what was cut from the U.K. version.  This "rape" scene has been glossed over and made to be concentual.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

This Ross and Elizabeth affair will play a MAJOR role in the further plot of the story, IF they follow the books.

Trusted Contributor

Oooo!  Interesting.  Obviously, the characters have been significantly altered.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

When I mentioned the rape scene I was referring to the actual book.  Elizabeth clearly tells Ross no.  The character Elizabeth has been changed in this version of the TV show. She is now a more sympathetic character.   I have only seen the PBS version of this scene so I do not know what was cut from the U.K. version.  This "rape" scene has been glossed over and made to be concentual.  

Even in the book at some point it becomes concentual; Elizabeth  postpones her wedding to George by a month, May 24 to June 24, waiting for Ross to return with a plan for them to be together.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

Even in the book at some point it becomes concentual; Elizabeth  postpones her wedding to George by a month, May 24 to June 24, waiting for Ross to return with a plan for them to be together.

Ahhhhh........that explains the controversy about if it was rape or not.  It is so hard for me sometimes as I have not read the entire series of books and then our version of the show is edited, etc.  And then we have to remember the times in which these books were written.  Does a woman mean "No" when she says it or does she really mean yes???

I feel that no means exactly that.  And if Ross did not listen and stop then I consider it rape.  I may feel differently if I actually read the whole book and understand the complete circumstances.  That is why I mentioned a rape scene.  Just to explain my post.  😌😌

Honored Contributor

Apparently, just saying no wasn't enough at that time. Also it seems that it was common for a man to rape a woman so that she was no longer a virgin and would have to marry him. Not considered proper behavior for a gentleman but somewhat accepted. It was also acceptable for a man to beat his wife.