Honored Contributor

Re: Poitier Fans Alert-- Romantic Drama "A Warm December" TCM

@Mmsfoxxieand  @NAES1, I wasn't familiar with her either, and looked her up.  She is from Highgate, Jamaica, and has had a career as both a photographer and actress.

Interesting tidbit is that she helped in the development of the Jamaican record label Island Records.  I thought she was perfect as the ambassador's neice, and loved the clothes and esp. jewelry, they had her wearing!  Too bad she wasn't in more films, she has a sort of elfin, Audrey Hepburn quality...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NAES1, I didn't like the decision to not marry either.  I wouldn't want her to have a child to leave but why not have the happiness of a marriage?  If she died, being married wouldn't have made it happen quicker but the experience would have enriched her time left.

I, too was confused in the beginning of the movie.  James Bond-ish for sure.  Why such stern looks?  Why was she so mysterious with Poitier? And then laughing as if she were playing a game.  

Luckily, before I became frustrated and switched the channel, I began to understand and like the movie.  Just a beautiful love story with no obscenity or violence.  My cup of tea. 

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Oznell did you watch the movie that was on after the Poitier movie was over. Quite different and breathtaking at the same time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I'm sorry to say I didn't, @Catiele.  What was it about?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw this last night too for the first time, enjoyed it. Love Poitier in his very first film, No Way Out, very racially charged film from 1950, he also plays a young doctor in this one. With Richard Widmark and Linda Darnell, airs often on TCM. Another good one from 1957 is Poitier with John Cassavetes, called Edge of the City.

Respected Contributor

The name of the movie was Daughters of the Dust. Filmed  in 1991 on the coast of Georgia. This is a very different movie. Mainly about African women who must choose between going to the mainland or staying where they are. Many imotions involved in their decisions. The movie was rereleased and was put into the archives. Hope TCM shows it again.

Honored Contributor

I'll watch out for it, @Catiele.  What an evocative title.

Oh, that's a good one, @Shelbelle, "No Way Out".  My husband loves that one.  I'm mixing it up with another one possibly-- is it the movie where Widmark does one of his brilliant, patented psycho turns, and calls everybody "Squits"?

Honored Contributor

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042792/

No Way Out, from 1950

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Shelbelle, I was thinking of "Kiss of Death", with Widmark as the maniacal Tommy Udo, I think.  Have seen both films, but always mix them up...