Valued Contributor

Re: Please post your favorite movies that aren't well-known

@Mz iMac wrote:

Years ago my middle brother turned me on to this movie called "Deathtrap."   He had the VHS tape.

Plot:  A Broadway playwright puts murder in his plan to take credit for a student's play. 

Starring:

Chrisopher Reeves

Michael Caine

Dyan Cannon

I don't remember ever seeing this shown on tv.

@Mz iMac  TCM shows it once and a while. It started as a play on Broadway and ran for 4 years back in the late 70's / early 80's. It was very popular. I've seen ads for it in local dinner and community theaters. It's much better on stage, because the violence is so shocking when it's live. I remember seeing it on stage many years ago and everyone in the audience jumping and screaming during one of the many climactic twists that happens early on in the performance.

Honored Contributor

I love a just cry when I watch Basquiat.  One of the most beautiful and true movies ever. Really takes the short fame of Jean Michele Basquiat and has you see his life through his passion for art.  You want o just smack him sometimes.  Such a gifted talent.

Esteemed Contributor

My Bodyguard (not to be confused with Whitney Houston/The Bodyguard).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are a few of mine:

Chocolat( with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp)

Passengers(with Anne Hathaway) suprise ending!

Jumping The Broom( Paula Patton and Angela Bassett) just a cute movie!

Rabbit Hole( Nicole Kidman)

The Invasion( Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig)-weird, but good! 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I love a just cry when I watch Basquiat.  One of the most beautiful and true movies ever. Really takes the short fame of Jean Michele Basquiat and has you see his life through his passion for art.  You want o just smack him sometimes.  Such a gifted talent.

@shoekitty 

this is a good movie!

i saw it maybe two months ago and had never heard of the artist.

yes, talented, flawed, with demons......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

Cape Fear

Regular Contributor

Mr. Church with Eddie Murphy.  Yes, Eddie Murphy. He was fabulous.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH an I love Secondhand Lions .We have watched it many times.

others : 

Rabbit Proof Fence 

I just googled it and it said it was made in 2002 , I thought it was older than that . I think only one was made? Anyway , it is one of our favorites.

I do not know whether it fall's into the classification of well known or not , but DH & I love  'Return to Me '

' Tender Mercies ' is a show we both enjoyed more than once -- We are Robert Duvall fans  &  ' A Family Thing ' --  

Also my favorite for laughs is ' The Jerk ' with Steve Martin & Bernadette Peters and a very old movie with Red Skeleton - ' A  Southern Yankee ' of which we enjoy one scene especially .

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

While You Were Sleeping with Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. I usually watch this movie during the Christmas holiday, 

"These mashed potatoes are so creamy!  Mary mashed 'em......"     Makes me nostalgic for the time I lived in Chicago.

Oh boy, I have about two days worth of movies for this topic but will not bore you with all of them.  A few:

Knight Without Armour -- the proto and more picturesque version of Dr. Zhivago with exquisite performances by Robert Donat and Marlene Dietrich.

The World of Henry Orient -- charming, quirky, bittersweet (for us Baby Boomers) tale of two misfit New York teens who follow an eccentric musician (Peter Sellers) around the city.  Paula Prentiss is hilarious as a nervous suburban housewife and Angela Lansbury, ostensibly the "villain", gives us some subtle insights into her character.  Works as a Christmas movie.

Metropolitan -- Whit Stillman's witty and wry comedy-of-manners focusing on a group of young Manhattan socialites. 

The Return of Dr. X -- you'll never believe who Humphrey Bogart plays in this enjoyably weird little Warner Bros. 1939 programmer.  Added bonus: the handsome Dennis Morgan as a doctor playing detective trying to figure out a series of murders that mimic vampire attacks!

Frequent Contributor

I second Local Hero and Stranger Than Paradise!