Honored Contributor

Show on TLC channel called 'Extreme cheapskates'.

America's most extreme penny pinchers return to TLC for a second season of dumpster diving, excessive recycling and strict budgeting. Extreme Cheapskates follows the lives of people who go to remarkable lengths to save money for themselves and their families. These individuals look for creative ways to cut costs by any means necessary—from dumpster diving to excessive recycling and strict budgeting. Couples featured go as far as to share dental floss and a single toothbrush. These penny pinchers will stop at nothing to spend nothing - including eating food destined for the trash and even reusing toilet wipes.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE   The hoarders might inspire more disgust than the extreme savers do, but I think both extremes reflect unhealthy financial understanding. 

I have never known an extreme hoarder personally, but an extreme saver, yes.  Close up, neither personality is a comfortable one for me.  I see no reason I will deliberately turn to TLC to watch.   

Respected Contributor

Sounds kind of like Hoarders but another kind of mental illness with a cruelty vein running through it, abuisive to self and to any others in the family.  I had read a book about an abusive marriage with a tightwad husband who made the wife share the same dental floss - among other marital humiliations.  Probably more common than we know.

Not my idea of entertainment.  At least Hoarders has a positive ending.

Honored Contributor

my husband was tight too, but, these people shower together !

Ewwww, you can bet when those poor kids leave the nest they go hog wild

Honored Contributor

I watched part of a show once and that was enough for me.  I found it ridiculous and wondered if it was staged for tv.   

Honored Contributor

I find this show on penny pinchers entertaining... sometimes it is so extreme it can be disgusting.. like reusing dental floss etc...

Esteemed Contributor

My brother was and is a penny pincher.  He once wanted to take my left over food from a restaurant for himself.  As far as I know, he did not do too many gross things, but rather, he took advantage of other people.  Still makes me mad about some of the things he did.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Re: Please People LOL

[ Edited ]

I think anything can become a mental disorder or obsession.  People can become addicted to anything.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

These penny pinchers will stop at nothing to spend nothing - including eating food destined for the trash and even reusing toilet wipes.

Excuse Me_.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I woke up to that show this morning, I sleep with the tv on..

Anyway, this guy took his g/f or wife to the movies.

He went into the mens room and out of the garbage took a tall soda cup and popcorn bag, went out to the snack bar and asked for refills..

Well he got them and went back to his seat and gave them to his date....

What a way to wake up, I was ready to vomit...

Hey, she was happy with her drink. lol

I like the Hoarders shows, I feel bad for those people but wonder how their older kids can just walk away and let their folks live like that.

Very sad for most.