Respected Contributor

I just started to watch seems like a Dugger type family I may be wrong but seems the Mother had a bad childhood and wants to protect her kids from real life. They live on a farm type setting and some kids are growing up which the Mom isn't happy. The older kids want to get into real life. Oldest son got married & his wife is into real world & tells him things along with some other kids, the Mom isn't happy with her knowledge. I feel if she raised the kids they will approach real life world with her morals and make good choices. Also by keeping her kids away from computers & TV's the older ones need to understand what is going on to get jobs or college. To me, Mother is trying too hard to protect her kids which they will grow up & move out and hope they make it, these kids need to understand what is going on. The Mom is being too protective because of her childhood, let the kids make mistakes be for them & help them why put they into your protective world.

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I just started to watch seems like a Dugger type family I may be wrong but seems the Mother had a bad childhood and wants to protect her kids from real life. They live on a farm type setting and some kids are growing up which the Mom isn't happy. The older kids want to get into real life. Oldest son got married & his wife is into real world & tells him things along with some other kids, the Mom isn't happy with her knowledge. I feel if she raised the kids they will approach real life world with her morals and make good choices. Also by keeping her kids away from computers & TV's the older ones need to understand what is going on to get jobs or college. To me, Mother is trying too hard to protect her kids which they will grow up & move out and hope they make it, these kids need to understand what is going on. The Mom is being too protective because of her childhood, let the kids make mistakes be for them & help them why put they into your protective world.

You are right Sissel, I believe she said her parents were alcoholics and it sounded sad.  I understand her wanting to give her kids the childhood she wished she had, but you are right.  These kids are not socially ok, did you notice the one who got married he acts like a naive kid.  Not sure if this is acting.  I wonder what religon they are.  The mom was probably hoping they would marry people who are growing up the same way.  The daughter in law I am not sure how she met her husband but he is kind of strange.  I am getting the impression that maybe the kids were going to work the land.  I believe the married one is living in a house on the family pro[erty.

Honored Contributor

This family belongs to the same religious group as the Duggers...the Quiverfulls

Respected Contributor

Mom isn't helping these kids grow up with her problems in her life. Mom has issues and holding her kids back  from a real life let older ones go to college or a trade school. you can 't control what happens when they are 30yrs. let it go. I use to watch 

duggars same thing. Seems control is their problem. Very controlling parents in these shows hope they break away 

Esteemed Contributor

I caught a bit of this show last night. The married son. The strawberry pop tart story, imagine being that excited about eating a pop tart! And the how to have s*# instruction talk his mother had w/him right before he got married.......geez Louise. And I take it that was his wife in San Francisco? She was getting on my nerves.

Honored Contributor

Re: Plathville new show

[ Edited ]

Yes. Their children do need to know more about the world around them. The lifestyle their parents expect the to live is not realistic. This mother has deep issues probably stemming from her own childhood and needs intense counseling.

I thought it was funny when the parents left town and the kids ran to the store and bought ice cream, soda and gum etc. On another website I read that the mom makes the kids do all of the work while she watches videos on her phone and she shows them no real physical affection.

Valued Contributor

@sissel 

Another 'control freak' family.  Children can only be sheltered so long.  When these children get out in the real world they are exactly the types that will not be able to deal with the pressures of 'real life'.  Very sad what this & similar families are doing by restraining their children from seeing & becoming all that they can be in their OWN lives...not their parents lives.

Super Contributor

JMO but the more I read the more I read about them I think we're being scammed - and it's all about the money!

For example, on the Lipstick Alley website it shows that even though they SAY they do not use technology they DO have a website for their band, they have a facebook account for their family, the mom has a facebook account she uses for additional revenue, etc.

It also shows in 2015 they went on their debut gospel tour and have produced several CDs, and says Moriah is emancipated and lives in Minnesota (I wondered about the black nail polish she was wearing, and thought something was "off" if she was supposed to be so unworldly).

Geesh TLC. I think this is just a re-do of TLC's "The Willis Clan" family band show that ended in a fiasco with the father's Toby Willis child rape/molestation charges.

Honored Contributor

When the Mother started to tell the story of her toddler who died, I thought he might have been sick or something. Then she said she ran over him. I was shocked. Didn’t expect that.

Trusted Contributor

Well, I know who the Duggars are, and just was not attracted or interested in their story. When this new show was being advertised, I was attracted to their blonde, Nordic looks as I am also Nordic in my ancestry.

The similarity ends there. There is something disturbingly disassociative in the vibe of all of these people, even the wife of one of the sons, who has sort of broken out of the mold. When her husband described what his mother told him about the birds and bees of weddding night intimacy, I thought what she told him was revolting, if it was accurately related.