Respected Contributor

Phantom Thread is on TCM Tonight 7/30

The movie Phantom Thread is on TCM tonight at 8PM Eastern Time. Don't let the scenes of the dressmaker working at his craft prevent you from unraveling this complex plot that's adorned with stitches that resemble a film noir style. Daniel Day-Lewis stars. I love the twisted ending of this movie.

Honored Contributor

Re: Phantom Thread is on TCM Tonight 7/30

I plan on watching this movie tonight.  I remember hearing good reviews about it.

Honored Contributor

as Re: Phantom Thread is on TCM Tonight 7/30

I consider Daniel Day- Lewis one of the best actors of his time and in his own category as I do Gary Oldman, both actors well deserving of their Oscars and acting accolades. With that being said Phantom Thread for me was a must see.  I wasn't disappointed and it was another great role for Day-Lewis who can take on any role and make it magic.  I agree about the ending.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily   Thanks for the heads up.  I like DDL also and think he's a great actor.  I just watched There Will Be Blood, which I did not like but as usual he was outstanding.

Looking forward to this one.

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily Thanks for the reminder, absolutely excellent movie, lots of twists/turns.  

& if you wanted something else to watch Leslie Manville who plays Daniel Day Lewis' sister in this movie has a movie out right now "Mrs Harris goes to Paris" which is really charming & I really enjoyed it.  I have to say that since I'm retired going to the movies earlier in the day is really great for not such a big crowd & in my opinion more enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

I don't have TCM in my package but I checked Netflix and they have it there too.  I've been meaning to watch this so thanks for the reminder!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

The movie Phantom Thread is on TCM tonight at 8PM Eastern Time. Don't let the scenes of the dressmaker working at his craft prevent you from unraveling this complex plot that's adorned with stitches that resemble a film noir style. Daniel Day-Lewis stars. I love the twisted ending of this movie.

@Desert Lily 

Not sure if I have TCM in my lineup, and will check later. 

However, I thought TCM was old movies from the mid 1900, maybe up to the 1970s.   Daniel Day Lewis was born after Clark Gable .... any idea what year the movie was made?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

The movie is a historical drama set to take place in the 1950's. Maybe that's why it's on TCM....? The film was actually made in 2017.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Mark Bridges won an Oscar for costume design for Phantom Thread. He's the guest on TCM's Follow the Thread this evening. The movie had wonderful fashion designs, so I guess there is a variety of aspects that make Phantom Thread an interesting movie.

Honored Contributor

I have followed Daniel Day Lewis's career since the beginning. I enjoyed most of his films but I question some of his choices in latter years. ""Nine" and this film were not my favorites. This film was enjoyable for the costumes but the plot was tedious and difficult to watch at times. I cringed at certain parts...