Regular Contributor

Person of Interest 5/24/16 (Possible Spoilers)

Person of Interest had back-to-back episodes tonight: "QSO" and "Reassortment."

QSO

First up is "QSO." Root goes on some small missions to get to the bigger mission involving a conspiracy-theorist and paranormal radio host. To Root, the missions meant sending a message to Shaw somehow as well as discovering another method Samaritan uses to get to people. 

Yea... so, this episode. This whole AI overlord whackadoo story is reaching new levels of cheesy. First, I found the episode difficult to follow at times (perhaps I am just stupid), but mostly, I am tired of Root-based episodes. Oh, and third, the show makes it seem like an unknown entity can easily control people to make them do its bidding including murder. For me, this is far-fetched.

Yea, yea, it's a TV show. Yes, I know this. My issue is how dumbed down this episode made people seem. This  in itself feels so out of the realm of possibility.

*Hears random static on a radio*

"I must kill this person!"

Really? So you're telling me just anyone can decode secret messages? This is where I said to myself, "well, I see how the show jumped the shark."

Frankly, I was disappointed with the plot for this episode. I got up and ordered pizza. It (the show, not the pizza) didn't hold my interest like it should.

Reassortment

This episode involved John, Finch, Bear, and Root fighting against a deadly strain of flu caused by Samaritan. We see the return of Jeff Bagwell (not the baseball player!) and he starts questioning Samaritan's orders all while Fusco is hot on his trail thanks to a tip from Elias.

Fair enough premise. 

Shaw finally escapes; Lambert gets shot. For all we know, this is another simulation or something. Frankly, I'm starting to feel like I'm in a simulation and this season is a bad dream. 

For me, the episode had potential, but it felt too neat and tidy. Well, maybe I'm just tired of the Samaritan mumbo-jumbo and all the lies and "holier-than-thou" speeches about its greatness and noble behaviors and tasks (in that case, the writers did their jobs). It's extremely clear it preys on weak-minded people to get them to do its bidding, but is it that possible everyone is this weak? Perhaps it's fear leading the people? Who knows, but I'm over it. 

The premise was good on paper, but the actual storyline as it progressed just made me laugh... not in a good way, but I laughed. The drug rep mindlessly and nuttily destroying vaccine? Saying the flu would spread fast when it really didn't? A neat and tidy ending with the medications (that, in reality, would take longer than a few seconds or a few minutes to work)? Ummm... yea, this was a mess. Yes, it's a TV show, but this show seemed better researched in previous seasons prior to this one. There were still some roots to reality. 

It actually feels like the writers and producers just said "eff it!"

Anyway, I'm 95 percent sure now that Fusco is the one who's going to give  up Team Machine. He's too reckless and not thinking straight completely (and while he's a bumbling cop in previous seasons, he was NEVER this reckless). I get being sick of being kept in the dark, but in a previous season, he gains some awareness of the Machine (Season Two: Deus Ex Machina), so he should know that all this has something to do with that and that's why Team Machine is trying to keep him in the dark. Fusco of seasons past may have been aware of this. Not this version. 

I do have to agree with Elias, though, when he said everyone has to be all-in in war. I wish SOMEONE would tell Fusco something because I'm starting to lose my patience too. Perhaps next week? Spoilers seem to suggest this is a possibility. 

Okay, I'm done ranting. I thought 5/23's episode, "A More Perfect Union," was a brilliant throwback to the show's core. Today's episodes felt too sloppy. 

Thoughts?