Honored Contributor

I am home w/an illness and have been watching the old Perry Mason. They are great-esp the first season. Just watched one w/Angie Dickinson (before she was a blonde). Perry and Della complained about the price of coffee in a fancy restaurant-$1.00 a cup!!!

On this same episode there is a character who is a chain smoker and has TB. Also one of the few episodes where I have seen W. Talaman smoke on camera.

In the book "Hiding in Plain Sight" Burr complained about all the smoking but the sponser insisted.

William Hopper is also a heavy smoker.

Honored Contributor

That was just one of my favorites back then too.  And the music!!!!   What I'd call "swanky".

Honored Contributor

DH loves watching Perry.  He's seen each episode at least 6 times.  He started recording the episodes to skip the endless commercials.  And yes, times were different in the late '50 and '60s--smoking, well dressed, men wore hats, women wore hats and gloves.  A trip down memory lane.

Trusted Contributor

I too watched much of the first season when it was available on my cable system.  So much fun.  39 episodes in the first season...so different from today's programming.

Honored Contributor

AHHH! Thank you for the input.

On a bad note Hopper and Talman died from diseases related to smoking.

Respected Contributor

I was up early this morning and watched an episode of Perry Mason on Sundance.  I just love this series!  I think the first season has been my favorite, although they are all enjoyable.  Something about the black and white I think.  

The Moth Eaten Mink is one of my favorites.  I just love the old fashioned restaurant in this episode.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

My fav Perry Mason is "Dead Ringer". When Burr is the dead ringer you can see the twinkle in his eye!!

Honored Contributor

I thought this thread was about the new version on HBO which is very good.

Honored Contributor

I still tune into Perry Mason here and there.

Good show.

Didn't Perry lose just one case in the end?  I am pretty sure he lost one in the novels.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I put in a little effort this morning and searched and found all seasons available on FREEVEE.  I know some don't like the commercials but they are more limited than regular TV, so less annoying.  And it is FREE.  Plus it give me time to grab a snack...LOL!  There are a few good shows available on FreeVee.