Honored Contributor

Perkins' Pre-Psycho Films Last Night On TCM

TCM showed three Perkins films pre-1960 before he made the classic Psycho and was forever typecast after that.  I watched most of Friendly Persuasion but  missed Tall Story (Perkins a basketball player opposite Jane Fonda in what I think was her first film) which I really wanted to see but it was on at 2:30 a.m.  I've seen Friendly P. over the years but probably haven't seen Tall Story in at least forty or so years.   Also The Tin Star was on - a western that I never much liked and wasn't interested in seeing.

Did anyone else watch these?  Perkins looked so young, boyish, and gangly (his frame was very unusual and gangly).  I've always liked him.   I did watch Friendly P. thinking how sad it was that he passed away of AIDS at a young 60 yrs. of age.

Honored Contributor

Re: Perkins' Pre-Psycho Films Last Night On TCM

Unfortunately, I have yet to see F.P. although I would like to.  Haven't seen too many of A.P.'s films although of course he was great in Psycho and he was also good in On the Beach.  I am looking forward to the rest of the month with his films.

Trusted Contributor

I think he was an underrated actor.  He was good in FP and The Tin Star, although I didn't care much for those movies.  I thought his acting in Psycho was brilliant.  My favorite scene is when Argobast goes to the motel for the first time, and the conversation between him and Bates.  He was married to the sister of a popular model, but I can't remember either one of their names.  

Trusted Contributor

TCM also showed his first movie, "The Actress" early last night where he had a minor role but was very good! The 1953 film starred Spencer Tracy and Jean Simmons. 

Always liked Perkins. Remember reading that his widow, actress/photographer Berry Berenson, died on 9/11 in one of the jets that slammed into the World Trade Center. They had two children. She was the younger sister of the model and actress Marissa Berenson.

Esteemed Contributor

I think right after Psycho he did "Goodbye Again," (1961), which is a wonderful movie, one of my favorites. Also with Ingrid Berman and Yves Montand.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@walkingal wrote:

I think he was an underrated actor.  He was good in FP and The Tin Star, although I didn't care much for those movies.  I thought his acting in Psycho was brilliant.  My favorite scene is when Argobast goes to the motel for the first time, and the conversation between him and Bates.  He was married to the sister of a popular model, but I can't remember either one of their names.  

@walkingal  LOL - that's Arbogast.  Martin Balsam was the investigator killed in Psycho and was a guest in a lot of TV shows back then too.  His daughter, Talia Balsam, was Geo. Clooney's Wife #1 and her mother, Martin's wife, was Joyce Van Patten (sister of D/I/C/K (to avoid autocensor) Van Patten I think).  Talia is currently married to actor John Slattery. 

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

Unfortunately, I have yet to see F.P. although I would like to.  Haven't seen too many of A.P.'s films although of course he was great in Psycho and he was also good in On the Beach.  I am looking forward to the rest of the month with his films.

@kaydee50  Thank you for the mention of On the Beach, and excellent and very sad film.  Yes, he was good in that although had a very small part.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I happened upon Friendly Persuasion, which I’ve seen before and liked, so watched to the end and thoroughly enjoyed it again. I could have watched Tall Story but elected not to as I’d seen parts of it before and it just isn’t my type of film - all fluff, no substance as I recall - a Barefoot in the Park type. I saw a couple of minutes of the Western, but Westerns aren’t my thing either.

Back in the day, I don’t think Hollywood knew what to do with Tony Perkins. He wasn’t an easily recognizable or relatable “type” and there weren’t many scripts that worked for him. When he was in his prime, scripts followed a much narrower path than they did later.

I enjoyed watching him in Green Mansions, where he was second lead to Audrey Hepburn, and in The Matchmaker with Shirley Maclaine.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@castlenv wrote:

@kaydee50  Thank you for the mention of On the Beach, and excellent and very sad film.  Yes, he was good in that although had a very small part.  

@Pearlee

That film, "On the Beach" haunts me.  And the sound track is gorgeous, beautiful music.  Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner together . . . so much beauty on the screen!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986