Frequent Contributor

Re: Pennsylvania 6-5000 Is Still In Use!

LOraine 7-0492

Respected Contributor

PA Mom-mom, thank  you for posting this little tidbit, it's quite cool to think one could still dial that number and have it be the same place it was nearly a century ago!

And I remember my family's first phone number, too, it was a 4-home party line to start, but eventually we got total ownership of WAbash 8-3734.    I miss dialing that number to talk to my Mom every day!

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

PA Mom-mom, thank  you for posting this little tidbit, it's quite cool to think one could still dial that number and have it be the same place it was nearly a century ago!

And I remember my family's first phone number, too, it was a 4-home party line to start, but eventually we got total ownership of WAbash 8-3734.    I miss dialing that number to talk to my Mom every day!

Thanks @CamilleP . You are so right. I hope the hotel can keep this phone number at least until we no longer have phone numbers! Our party line was especially problematic during strawberry season, when my mom took orders for fresh picked strawberries. 

Honored Contributor

Our Philadelphia number started with Livingston 8.