Super Contributor

Paul Adelstein returning to 'Scandal'

By Natalie Abrams on Oct 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM | ew.com
Private Practice alum Paul Adelstein is slated to reprise his role as Leo Bergen in an upcoming episode of Scandal, EW has learned.

The Shondaland actor, who is also married to How to Get Away with Murder’s Liza Weil*, first appeared on the ABC drama in the third season as the ambitious and ethically questionable campaign consultant to Sally Langston (Kate Burton). He was last seen in the season finale, his hopes of acquiring Cyrus’ office dashed after Sally lost the election.

Adelstein, who will next star on Bravo’s Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce, is expected to appear in at least one episode in November.

Scandal airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

==========================================

*Liza Weil plays Bonnie Winterbottom, one of Annalise Keating's paid staff members on HTGAWM.

I wish Scandal would find a way to continue both the Leo Bergen and Sally Langston characters, because both are wonderful supporting characters.

It's always a special treat watching Kate Burton. The daughter of Richard Burton and Sybil Williams was marvelous as always in the demanding role of Meredith's professionally brilliant but distant, cold and emotionally disturbed mother, Dr. Ellis Grey, in last night's (Oct. 16th) flashback scenes in Grey's Anatomy, "Only Mama Knows" (S11/Ep04).

The only missing element was a flashback including Thatcher Grey, the father who abandoned them. Thatcher was portrayed by Jeff Perry, who plays Presidential Chief of Staff Cyrus Beene on Scandal. I'll bet they thought about it but the logistics of scheduling may have been prohibitive. Perry is married to Scandal casting director Linda Lowy. They have one child. He was previously married to Laurie Metcalf.

I love the way Shonda Rhimes recycles actors from show to show in her own Shondaland Traveling Repertory Company. It's too bad that she couldn't have saved Kate Walsh, who's totally wasted by currently starring in NBC's awful sitcom, Bad Judge. Previously Walsh was Dr. Addison Montgomery Shepherd on both Grey's Anatomy and its spin-off, Private Practice. - Keri

Honored Contributor

Re: Paul Adelstein returning to 'Scandal'

I like this actor ....... In real life, he's married to the villanous matriarch on Revenge .... can't think of her name. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I like this actor ....... In real life, he's married to the villanous matriarch on Revenge .... can't think of her name. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I've always liked Paul Adelstein. This might sound strange, but when he played Dr. Cooper Freedman, the pediatrician on Private Practice, I always thought he resembled Dr. Jim Sears, the pediatrician IRL on The Doctors.

Tinkrbl44, do you mean Madeleine Stowe? She's the vicious, vengeful Victoria Grayson on Revenge.

Actually, Stowe has been married to the other Private Practice actor, Brian Benben, since 1982 or 1986 (IMDb lists both dates within the same bio). BenBen played the psychiatrist, Dr. Sheldon Wallace.

Reread my original post above. Paul Adelstein is married to Liza Weil who plays Bonnie Winterbottom, one of Annalise Keating's paid staff members on HTGAWM.

Honored Contributor

This goes back to one of our other conversations about Producers, etc., using the same actors over and over.

I find things more believable when different (not the same old same old, etc.) actors are used.