Honored Contributor

Did anyone hear of this movie before it was nominated, has any one seen it, this win really baffles me

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

I have a problem with a foreign language film winning best picture.They have a foreign film category,at least they used to.That's where it belonged!!

Respected Contributor

I can't watch the oscars any longer.  The shows are weird.  The old glamour is gone and they have become way too political for me.  Thank goodness for PBS!!

Honored Contributor

I have not seen the movie but from what I've read, it deserves the award.  IMO, it is about time to recognize that movies are made in other places than Hollywood.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I have a problem with a foreign language film winning best picture.They have a foreign film category,at least they used to.That's where it belonged!!

@NicksmomESQ 

Parasite won that one too, which is now called 'Best International Feature':

Earlier in the evening Parasite became the first South Korean movie to win best international feature, which used to be best foreign language feature. 

'The category has a new name now, from best foreign language to best international feature film. I’m so happy to be its first recipient under the new name,' said Joon-ho by way of his translator.

'I applaud and support the new direction that this change symbolizes. All our loving crew members and cast members are here today. Please send a round of applause to the actors and crew members of Parasite.'

The members of the Parasite team in the audience stood up and accepted a warm round of applause from the A-list audience. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw it after it won the SAG award; I figured that put it in Oscar's sites so I should give it a try.  I admit I had no clue what it was about, even on the most superficial level. Although I preferred Joker or Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, I thought it was good.  Supposed to be about the class system or something deeper than I wanted to think about. I'm not sure it's a movie that would make sense made in the US.

Although you need to read the dialogue, it's not long soliloquies that take all your time and you miss what's going on on screen. And the directing Oscar is much deserved -  some beautiful camera work. I kind of think it's accessible art; you're not going to not understand it.  Nevertheless, I'm sure not everyone here will like it and will continue to scratch their head at the win.

If you think about it - there have been many British movies that have won so it's not the first International Film.  It's just the first Foreign Language Film to win.

Valued Contributor

Watched the first award given to Brad Pitt for Best Supporting - liked him in that movie.  Then he has to go and make a political comment about the impeachment - please so ready for that to be over and done with - you just won a major acting award and you have to bring that up??????   Turned it off after that. 

Trusted Contributor

@Houstonoilers wrote:

Watched the first award given to Brad Pitt for Best Supporting - liked him in that movie.  Then he has to go and make a political comment about the impeachment - please so ready for that to be over and done with - you just won a major acting award and you have to bring that up??????   Turned it off after that. 

I agree, could have done without the politics.  Movies are for our entertainment.  I'm so sick of the tension in this country, and I don't want to have my enjoyment of the year's summation of great movies muddled up with what I'm trying to forget.

That said - I am happy for Brad.  I loved him in the movie.

Honored Contributor

I just flipped from other channels to see who won but as soon as they take more than a minute or 2 in their acceptance speeches, I change the channel.  I did listen to the entire Laura Dern speech.  Always liked her.

Esteemed Contributor

I know. I know. Actors are citizens too and have the right to their opinions. However, there is something cringe-worthy when they use the award ceremony for pontificating. I try to stay well-informed and have my own opinions, which I share with friends, but to me it takes a certain amount of hubris think that we want to hear everything these people have to say.