Honored Contributor

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

I didn't watch the Oscars and to my knowledge it has always been political in one way or another.  I watched Masterpiece Theater which in my opinion is Oscar worthy!

If I had a platform, a mike and audience I would say a few things also and I will leave it at that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

So glad Pitt did not end up setting the tone for the entire evening of speeches, he was really just about the only one to make such a political statement, he was the first award, so I was afraid all the others would follow him. Today when I saw his speech being played on Today and The Talk, they both left that part out of it. 

Honored Contributor

We were talking about Parasite today in yoga class.  Instructor had seen it and said it was a really good movie. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe the can do a version dubbed in English, I dont so well with sub titles, I am a slow reader. 

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I watched it on Pay for View on Saturday night.  I really liked, my husband not so much.  It takes awhile to get used to the sub-titles,  by mid way thru the movie I forgot I was "reading."   I really like movies that I don't know where they are going.  This is that movie.  There is social commentary -- the haves vs have nots, but I just liked the watching the action.  I will watch again if it's true HBO will translate it.  It kind of reminded me of "Get Out."  If you liked that you will like this one.  I will not spoil, lots of interesting turns.  

I also saw 1917 which I also really liked, comparing apples to oranges, not sure which I would pick for best picture.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could never watch anything with sub-titles.

I would go very, very crazy.  I don't read fast.

Even when something is up on the TV I have to go back and rewind it maybe as many as two or three times.

No...that's not for me!

I was thinking people who voted for it maybe did it as a way of saying, "up your's".

Come on!  If you ever watch these 'stars' be interviewed, they constantly tell us they barely have time to go to the bathroom much less watch any movies (even their own).

I do not believe these 'stars' watched this movie and loved it so much they decided it was a winner above and beyond some of the movies in that category.

No way people!

Honored Contributor

I don't like movies that have subtitles, I always say if I wanted to read, I'd read a book ( sort of kidding)! I always feel pressured, like I won't read it all in time, I also tend to not concentrate on what's happening. I use to watch TV with my mom, if subtitles came on I would read them to her as her eyesight wasn't very good.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I don't like movies that have subtitles, I always say if I wanted to read, I'd read a book ( sort of kidding)! I always feel pressured, like I won't read it all in time, I also tend to not concentrate on what's happening. I use to watch TV with my mom, if subtitles came on I would read them to her as her eyesight wasn't very good.

@Jordan2   I agree with you about reading the subtitles in movies.

Having to do so really takes away from the characters in that you are not hearing the feeling of how the line is delivered.

It just seems to interfere with the flow of the characters and plot.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I for one am glad to see Hollywood move away from what used to be the problem with the Oscars: picking the bland safe choice. I suspect t it’s due to a generational shift in the voters and a widening demographic. Good for them!

Some of the best films I have ever seen over the years have been foreign language and if you refuse to see a movie because of subtitles you’re missing out on some of the best films ever made.

Difference of opinion, perhaps. I'm not advocating 'bland, safe' choices, but do appreciate the way the Bafta awards work, with an overall winner and a 'national' winner. To me, it defeats the purpose of the 'international' award if the academy was only going to then turn around and hand the top prize to that same international movie, which is likely to go unseen by most American movie goers... I do believe the differences in these award are attributable to 'new' Hollywood, which has, perhaps justifiably, seen it's fill of WW1 and WW2 films and 'mob' films...  That said, there is a wide range of films from which to select a top choice and my opinion continues to be there were other viable choices than a Korean language film...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I really hate when the winners have to make a speech on anything other than saying thank you!

That's what twitter is for imo...