Super Contributor

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

[ Edited ]

I did watch the Oscars last night and when I saw that Parasite received the Best Picture award I decided to take another look at it.  I had watched the trailor on Amazon Prime a while back and thought nope doesn't look like a movie I want to see.  But this time I decided to watch it and so far it is really good and I expect the rest of it will be too when I get back to finish watching it, which will be shortly.  lol  

Respected Contributor

@PickyCindy wrote:

I did watch the Oscars last night and when I saw that Parasiste received the Best Picture award I decided to take another look at it.  I had watched the trailor on Amazon Prime a while back and thought nope doesn't look like a movie I want to see.  But this time I decided to watch it and so far it is really good and I expect the rest of it will be too when I get back to finish watching it, which will be shortly.  lol  

I just read that HBO will reformat this into English. 

It was actually interesting to hear the foreign language chatter while reading the translation. 

Honored Contributor

I for one am glad to see Hollywood move away from what used to be the problem with the Oscars: picking the bland safe choice. I suspect t it’s due to a generational shift in the voters and a widening demographic. Good for them!

Some of the best films I have ever seen over the years have been foreign language and if you refuse to see a movie because of subtitles you’re missing out on some of the best films ever made.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I for one am glad to see Hollywood move away from what used to be the problem with the Oscars: picking the bland safe choice. I suspect t it’s due to a generational shift in the voters and a widening demographic. Good for them!

Some of the best films I have ever seen over the years have been foreign language and if you refuse to see a movie because of subtitles you’re missing out on some of the best films ever made.

Could be, but I read books, I choose not to 'read' movies...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I have a problem with a foreign language film winning best picture.They have a foreign film category,at least they used to.That's where it belonged!!

I'm simply curious, do you also think that US films should not be entered in other country's award presentations like the Baftas or Cannes or any of the other foreign awards?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb   I get what your saying. We all have different opinions.But these days people seem to say whatever they want, whenever they want, without a filter.A lot of people don't mind as long as they share the opinion being espoused.They only complain if they disagree.

I think that as long as it's going on what's good for one is good for all. In other words either everyone agrees to rein it in or no one will.

I'm fine  with whatever is done as long as it's fair & everyone gets the same latitude.

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604

@reiki604 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I have a problem with a foreign language film winning best picture.They have a foreign film category,at least they used to.That's where it belonged!!

I'm simply curious, do you also think that US films should not be entered in other country's award presentations like the Baftas or Cannes or any of the other foreign awards?

@reiki604   Of course not but it should be entered into the proper category. The Cannes Film Festival is different than the Oscars.It's purpose is to specifically highlight films from all over the world. 
   The Oscars have a specific category for foreign films. That's all.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:

Could be, but I read books, I choose not to 'read' movies...

A subtitled (foreign language) movie just a different experience.

Listening to symphony is an auditory experience. But attending a symphony is a visual AND auditory experience.

We saw Raiders of the Lost Ark with a live orchestra providing the music synced exactly to the film. Just a different experience. 

Honored Contributor

What defines a foreign film? Language? Financing and production? Because foreign-produced films have won Best Picture; but not one in a foreign language. What if an American filmmaker chooses to make a film in Spanish with subtitles?

Most of the past Best Picture winners were based/financed in England, but not all:

Hamlet (1948)
Tom Jones (1963)
A Man for All Seasons (1966)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
Gandhi (1982)
The Last Emperor (1987)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
The King's Speech (2010)
The Artist (2011) (France)

Is there a special exception for British film? If so, why? Again, language?
Esteemed Contributor

The academy award is for best picture. Period. Regardless of whether you agree with their choice, there is no differentiation in where the film is made.

The BAFTA’s actually have two awards - one for overall best picture, but another for Best British Film. The Oscars do not have a separate category like this and, historically, non American films have won this top prize.