Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,109
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

@PilatesLover 

 

Never have been a  Brad Pitt fan, to me he always looks like he needs a shave and a shower

 

 


@PilatesLover wrote:

@Houstonoilers wrote:

Watched the first award given to Brad Pitt for Best Supporting - liked him in that movie.  Then he has to go and make a political comment about the impeachment - please so ready for that to be over and done with - you just won a major acting award and you have to bring that up??????   Turned it off after that. 

 

 



I agree, could have done without the politics.  Movies are for our entertainment.  I'm so sick of the tension in this country, and I don't want to have my enjoyment of the year's summation of great movies muddled up with what I'm trying to forget.

 

That said - I am happy for Brad.  I loved him in the movie.


 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,019
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar


@Vivian wrote:

I know. I know. Actors are citizens too and have the right to their opinions. However, there is something cringe-worthy when they use the award ceremony for pontificating. I try to stay well-informed and have my own opinions, which I share with friends, but to me it takes a certain amount of hubris think that we want to hear everything these people have to say.


there is a place for that and it's not the award stage or the sports field etc 

 

everyone has a social media page to voice their platforms if they want to take it.

 

disclaimer I didn't watch the show last night 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,574
Registered: ‎10-14-2016

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar


@I am still oxox wrote:

Did anyone hear of this movie before it was nominated, has any one seen it, this win really baffles me


 

Yes, I had heard of it and saw it before it was nominated.  We have two theatres near us that show indie and international movies.  It was a well deserved win.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,878
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

I saw all the nominated movies. Here are my thoughts.

It is somewhat like a beauty contest.

Parasite was a clever story.

1917 had amazing visuals.

The movie that was the most surprising for me was the Joker.

Ford vs Ferrari was a good movie but not close to the best.

The Irishman was what you would expect from a Scorsese film. Same great actors in his usual well told gangster movie. 

 

Another good movie was Pain and Glory but it had no chance with Parasite dominating the Foreign Language (international) category.

 

JoJo Rabbit had a very important social/political message. One of my favorites of the year. 

 

I didn't get the hipe of Marrage Story.

 

So if you were a voter for best picture, would you vote for the movie you enjoyed the most or the movie that told the story with great acting and visuals?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,605
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar


@Vivian wrote:

I know. I know. Actors are citizens too and have the right to their opinions. However, there is something cringe-worthy when they use the award ceremony for pontificating. I try to stay well-informed and have my own opinions, which I share with friends, but to me it takes a certain amount of hubris think that we want to hear everything these people have to say.


@Vivian 

 

That's what interviews are for.

 

Whatever happened to heartfelt, inspirational speeches about their craft?

 

Guess those days are gone, too.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 23,782
Registered: ‎05-10-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

I heard of it.  I guess it's good in a quirky sort of way.  There's zero chance that I will ever see it because I don't watch subtitled films.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 61,145
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

[ Edited ]

Although I turned off the extremely tedious Oscar show after about forty minutes, I had predicted this would win. Not, mind you, because I'd seen the movie or thought it exceptional, but more because the Hollywood flakes seem always to choose something widely divergent from what might have been anticipated. Since this movie had received a lot of spin, I felt almost certain it would be chosen. It might be a wonderful movie. It's certainly been highly praised and well awarded, but I agree with the earlier assessment that accolades for it should have stopped with the best international film award. As far as I'm concerned, the Oscars are losing their relevance when they begin moving so far afield of the mainstream audience of movie goers, most of whom have not seen and likely will not pay to see this film and endure a couple of hours of subtitles. That's what film festivals and film festival awards are for.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,972
Registered: ‎08-19-2014

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar

@KingstonsMomIG  I get your point.I have no problem with Parasite winning  an award for Best International Film. IMO though I don't think it should have qualified for the Best Picture category.


@KingstonsMomIG wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

 I have a problem with a foreign language film winning best picture.They have a foreign film category,at least they used to.That's where it belonged!!


@NicksmomESQ 

 

Parasite won that one too, which is now called 'Best International Feature':

 

Earlier in the evening Parasite became the first South Korean movie to win best international feature, which used to be best foreign language feature. 

 

'The category has a new name now, from best foreign language to best international feature film. I’m so happy to be its first recipient under the new name,' said Joon-ho by way of his translator.

 

'I applaud and support the new direction that this change symbolizes. All our loving crew members and cast members are here today. Please send a round of applause to the actors and crew members of Parasite.'

 

The members of the Parasite team in the audience stood up and accepted a warm round of applause from the A-list audience. 


 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,972
Registered: ‎08-19-2014

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar


@Vivian wrote:

I know. I know. Actors are citizens too and have the right to their opinions. However, there is something cringe-worthy when they use the award ceremony for pontificating. I try to stay well-informed and have my own opinions, which I share with friends, but to me it takes a certain amount of hubris think that we want to hear everything these people have to say.


 @Vivian   I understand your point.I personally don't mind hearing celebrities opinions,Wether I agree with their positions or not I feel that they have a right to voice them.Some people will rethink a position they hold if someone they look up differs from it. I wouldn't.But I get it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 61,145
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Parasite Best Picture Oscar


@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Vivian wrote:

I know. I know. Actors are citizens too and have the right to their opinions. However, there is something cringe-worthy when they use the award ceremony for pontificating. I try to stay well-informed and have my own opinions, which I share with friends, but to me it takes a certain amount of hubris think that we want to hear everything these people have to say.


 @Vivian   I understand your point.I personally don't mind hearing celebrities opinions,Wether I agree with their positions or not I feel that they have a right to voice them.Some people will rethink a position they hold if someone they look up differs from it. I wouldn't.But I get it.


They can espouse their views to their heart's content, but it's a matter of time, place and venue... For me, award shows are not the right venue and when they use them for such purposes, it's off-putting.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...