Respected Contributor

PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILER 2/13/19

[ Edited ]

Another wonderful runway except for Django once again who went bye-bye.  LOL.  I knew he would be the next to go.  He has not impressed me nor the judges.  Sean's was sort of all over the place but glad he stayed.  Irina's wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and loved when she spread her wings.

Thank goodness Michelle didn't win.  It wasn't avant guarde alright but ugly. Didn't one of the judges say it was the best they've seen from her all season?  Are they delusional? 

I loved Anthony Ryan's even though Dimitry thought it was not modern enough I guess you could put it.  It was adorable.

I didn't like Cynthia's (the boom box).  I was waiting for someone to say something about the hips.

That's my take for this week.  Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Respected Contributor

Re: PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILER 2/13/19

I blinked right before they announced the winner and who was out.  DJango is crazy.  His outfit was awful.  I don't think he understands what avant garde is.  Michelle's looked like carpet padding.  Oh wait, that's what it was.

Who actually won?

Respected Contributor

Yeah for the ousted one but I disagreed with the winning design.  I didn't get why it was avant garde. Actually I thought the 2 safe men's designs should have been in the top 3.

Valued Contributor

I agree with the eliminated designer. 

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I blinked right before they announced the winner and who was out.  DJango is crazy.  His outfit was awful.  I don't think he understands what avant garde is.  Michelle's looked like carpet padding.  Oh wait, that's what it was.

Who actually won?

@DrKelli, that's why I DVR it.  LOL.  It was Anthony Ryan w/his write-on coat. 

Respected Contributor

Oh!!! That was kind of fun!  I'm okay with that winning.

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Oh!!! That was kind of fun!  I'm okay with that winning.

@DrKelli, me too.  It was the best in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

And again I didn't like a single garment.  There is very little new under the sun and it's a ridiculous challenge to ask these people to do true avant garde.  Anthony's was so not good.

The last example of genuine avant garde outside of a runway I personally remember is Lady Gaga's brilliant egg and the dress she had on when she "hatched" and that was years ago.  

You almost never see avant garde and even original Project Runway got it mixed up with haute couture but they handled it better.  I don't like the challenge, can you tell?   And as much as I appreciate Andrew Rannells what on earth was he doing as a judge?  

Honored Contributor

Did anyone see the little five- or ten-minute segment before the show? 

They showed Austen Scarlett's gorgeous dress for the All Stars challenge where the dress had to glow in the dark.  If you missed it and don't remember, it's not new so it's not avant garde but what a dress, it was a joy to see it again.  He did it with fiber optics:

Image result for austin scarlett project runway glow in the dark dress

And that reminded me of a dress that truly is avant garde and that's Sean Kelly's dress for his season of Project Runway the "rainway" challenge -- they had to make a dress that would be soaked with water on the runway and look at this marvel Sean Kelly created by (I forget how) embedding dyes in the fabric that would change colors as the dress was soaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7S03hBC0I

Two of my favorite creations ever for the PR franchise.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori, as I was reading your post (before I actually got there), I was thinking about that dress that had the dye packets.  I remember how surprised Heidi was when those dye packets started activating.  But in my mind, that wasn't really avant garde either--it was hella creative though and I remember how awesome I thought it was.

I did watch that short segment--it's nice to remember some of the better garments!