Honored Contributor

Re: PRIME TIME ROMANCE FEST FRIDAY TCM

Well, I've been watching the recording I made of "All That Heaven Allows",  and have to agree with @twinsister-- it's my favorite.  It's been so long since I saw it last, had forgotten some key elements.

Rock and Jane have some really nice chemistry, as they did in "Magnificent Obsession".   But in that he was such an immature clod at first, and she was so supremely well-evolved as a human being, that they were on such different levels for a good chunk of the movie.

In "All That Heaven Allows",  they are two sensitive, tentative people, immediately drawn to each other.  Rock has never been a big favorite of mine (although I think he's just a whiz at comedy, naturally gifted) but he's soulful here.  Sometimes when he looks at Jane, he gets that stunned, almost 'slack' look of yearning that he sometimes shows.  And she too, is just kind of nakedly defenseless with him, as she is not with other people.  You'd think they'd be an incongruous pairing, but they're not-- they're right in tune with each other. 

Honored Contributor

Very perceptive description of the pair's chemistry, oznell.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  - you described their pairing/chemistry perfectly.    You should be a writer!!

I agree about Rock Hudson being so good at comedy.  He is in some of my favorite romantic comedies - Pillow Talk and Send Me No Flowers with Doris Day and Come September with Gina Lollabrigida.  I also liked him in McMillan and Wife.

Trusted Contributor

I have to give kudos to the director, Douglas Sirk. His movies are breathtaking in their glorious color and it is almost like watching a painting at times, in some scenes. He directed Rock Hudson in so many films and really brought out his talents as an actor. I never get tired of seeing the opening scenes of "All That Heaven Allows". It brings back the glory of Autumn in a small town in which that I am sure many of us wish we could have lived. 
I would love to find the novels adapted for these movies. I need to watch the credits more carefully! LOL! All in all, each movie is unique and pure escapism. I am all for that! 

Honored Contributor

@twinsister-- yes!   Rock in "Send Me No Flowers" especially, as Doris's zany, hypochondriachal husband-- he was hysterical, in every frame! 

Oh, I too was just swept up in that painterly, autumnal opening of "All That Heaven Allows",  @TexasMom1 .  Douglas Sirk so skilfully melded those visuals with the moods and circumstances of his protagonists-- a special knack of his...