Honored Contributor

Re: PR's Christian: from fashion to face masks

@MarnieRez3 @dooBdoo @momtochloe 

here is a video with Brandon dissecting 3 of his most iconic looks

Lady G at Meta Gala, First Lady Michelle at state dinner, Karlie at Met Gala

I hope you enjoy - he is very new to the industry

he was a stylist for many years - he first met Karlie when she was 16 at a muisc video and he was the stylist

https://youtu.be/TlEnEYHhUY0

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 6.12.57 PM.png

Honored Contributor

Oh @Yahooey  thank you SO MUCH for posting that video (and now I have so many other recommendations to watch!).  Oh goodness I have watched it twice already and my initial takeaways are:

• I now know how to properly pronounce faille
  • I need to look up what a gozar is
  • I could never bedazzle Lady Gaga's shoes as I break out into a sweat when I try and glue those fuzzy stoppers onto cabinet doors so they don't bang shut
  • "I just dressed the first lady of the United States, what did you do today?" . . . hee!
  • If I have another beer I am going to challenge Brandon to a bow off as I am a mighty good bow tie-r myself!

Thank you again my friend, I so enjoyed this!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

I'm so glad you enjoyed it my friend - he pin points what he does and why which I found fascinating - 

forget about pronoucing faille correctly - I don't even know what it is along with gozar 

(sounds like an appetizer to me)

I know what neoprene is - does that count?

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey  oh yes of course we both score huge points for knowing what neoprene is if only because PR is fixated on it . . . Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

And to those that can actually sew, I have always appreciated your talents but after watching @Yahooey  posted video, I am in even more awe.

Back when my BMI was in the very low double digits, I was incredibly specific with my clothing.  I switched out more buttons, bows, snaps etc. so the (at that time usually suit) fit to my specifications but after watching and more important listening to Brandon explain why they did what they did, I truly have a whole new appreciation for your talents!

Bravo my friends!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe 

I can't sew - 

took a class in middle school- OY

I may rehem and stich on a button falling off but that's about it

and those stitches - yikes - they looked squished and looks like they need an orthodontist to straighten them out

I have tiny hands and would be great if I had any talent

getting those beads on - but alas sigh ...

Honored Contributor

Sigh ah @Yahooey  my friend . . . my only brush with sewing was Home Ec in 7th grade . . . poor Mrs. Robinson retired after our class (she was older but I am sure our collection untalented goofballs pushed her into it).

Think back to the late 60's when lime green double knit was all the rage along with hot pants jumpsuits (ok c'mon think Laugh In) . . . imagine a shy young girl completely clueless around a sewing machine hanging on to every word the teacher said including the following the seam all the way around . . . and then quickly realized she meant to the crotch seam and then STOP . . . that's when I knew Mrs. Robinson was going to retire.

I am still sorry Mrs. Robinson . . . Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@LoriLori 

Who is this ????

@Tinkrbl44 

He is genuinely one of America's top fashion designers and has been out front of so much for a long time.  Short relevant history:

He competed on the fourth season of the tv show Project Runway.  He was impossibly young, had dropped out of high school because he knew what he wanted, had swept hair in a salon and maybe cut some I don't know, to get to fashion school.

He was rejected from the most elite ones here.

So he went to London and got in there.  And while there he did internships with Alexander McQueen (while he was still alive) and Vivienne Westwood, the two biggest modern UK labels.

He won the show even though the Internet was not kind to him.

He took the prize money and unlike most winners used it so wisely.

And built an enormous empire!

Oh, and on Project Runway because I'm not sure if you're ever watched, there are something known as home visits for the finalists, which in the early years really meant something -- and he was living in an apartment the size of a closet.  With an ironing board IIRC on the back of his front door.

Now he was a gorgeous place in Manhattan (shudder) and a massive estate in Connecticut.  He IS the American dream.

Plus:

He was criticized for years for using the skinniest models.  Anorexic-skinny, before that was banned in France and went out of fashion.

He took it to heart.

He wasn't the first to send a plus-size model down the runway at New York Fashion Week but he was the most prominent AND from there season he started changing the definition of a runway model by adding in "regular" body types, i.e. not flat-chested, not proportioned!, you know, everyday figures.

He signed a contract with Payless that got him shunned for a while (I mean, over and over, and he's very short and looks almost elfin without the ears) because he was, you know, selling his stuff to US.

which also turned into a huge trend.

Moschino for Target, etc.

he was the first there too.

he made Billy Porter's gown tuxedo for was it the Met Gala?  very famous garment.  not the first but the most impactful and famous.

when the really, really obese woman from This Is Us could not find anyone to dress her for her first Emmys and tweeted moaning about it he offered to.

He designed two different dresses and, you know, at that level they're handmade (all this while he's producing four huge seasons of fashion shows and doing down-market things, haha).  He made videos of working on fitting them with her and everything.

She wore something else.  She never told him.  She looked horrible.

Lesley Jones of SNL who if you're not familiar is very tall and boxy also tweeted she couldn't find anyone to dress her.  Christian didn't say oh, well, this other actress burnt me.

He made Lesley Jones a fierce outfit and now they're BFFs and he dresses her a lot.

Year by year he's dressed more people, and important ones, for the Met Gala.

So...downtime for his very best sewers.  

And that's how we get to the masks.

And whoever said the American Dream, above,

I didn't heart the post because I didn't agree with the 'we all come together' part, this country has not come together for the gays until rather recently really, and not in fasihion but there are very small minds out there that hate them and each one I believe has felt this.

and we are still not all coming together, quite the opposite, and the divisions make certain people in power and walking around listening to them very dangerous to me and others.

but Christian is funny and humble and so talented he's already made histoy in many ways,  a VERY elite fashoin organization in which he was indoctrinated and there was resistance for his age alone.

Did I mention he's 34?

💗💗💗💗💗

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, that is so long and I have left out soooooo much, as WE know.  @TINKERBELL  hope that helped Smiley Happy  It is very much worth reading.

ETA:  And all off the top of my head so any mistakes are mine alone and apologies in advance.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

And now to what brings me here:

@Yahooey   @MarnieRez3   @dooBdoo  and a second one @momtochloe 

HUGE HUG.  I HAVE MISSED YOU AND OUR DISCUSSIONS SO MUCH!

Show's over and now this is where the talk is happening.

Can't wait to watch the video.

It's not just that I didn't like the season one bit.

Gawd I was so bored by the on-topic posts.  I know people want to drive by, put their two cents in (usually, I wouldn't wear it LOL) and drive off but that's not me and it wasn't us.  But it's what the thread became -- and I already wasn't going to post here no matter what -- but I have no doubt 99% of people were glad I was gone because I saw new faces return and everything so neatly on topic I stopped reading it...

so when I saw this days ago...it warmed my sheltered-in-place heart so much!

we're all about Discussion.  and Fashion.  and like Nina, don't bore us 🤣

or at least me.  won't speak for all.

Can't wait to watch the video.

Can't wait to talk about gozar -- not gazar?  Forgive me, life has changed so much and not just mine but family and friends and if it's obviously, duh, Lori, NOT gazar, duh girl we all know what gazar is --

You'll all forgive me.

This is our little group missing no one.  This is my PR posse and we've had such good times and covered so much ground with laughter and learning 

from CFDA to Lori's probably about to learn about Gozar to omg did i crack up when i learned Brandon Maxwell wears Spanx!  of course!  now i look at every man and think...is he or isn't he?  only he knows for sure...

K.  Looks like I've put off going back to Coronamarket for the big grocery shopping too long.  I am at risk in a scary place.  I took mom at her insistence to Publix first Senior Shopping Hours and, well, it didn't go well, they had nothing useful, she became very aggressive and upset and the crowds, i've called it CoronaFest ever since.

and at 92 she has a better shot at this thing than I do.

so i've spent all my time diverting and this place (not this thread, I reached my limit).

and then i saw you one by one...and now that video (hi, video!) and

GROUP HUG!!!!!  it's the time of plague (both spread by rats) and if I can love strangers on a message board, you are my PR loves!

And if I'm missing someone...but I don't think I am...

More off topic please!  Who cares what other people think!  We wouldn't have a Christian if HE did and we wouldn't have an US 

💗💗💗💗💗