Honored Contributor

Re: POSE on FX is back tomorrow night- 6/11

@Mz iMac wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

contest show?

@jackthebear 

Yes, sort of.  POSE is about the drag ballroom scene in NY during the 80's (AIDS scare) and it is also a dance move.   You should check out YouTube to see the actual dance moves that the NY "Gay" community invented. Not going to post any links because some of the moves & outfits are raunchy.  I don't want the "pearl clutchers" notifying the mods. Smiley Tongue

Madonna populized this one particular dance move in an old video/song called Vogue.

98% of the characters in the show POSE are transgenders and/or gay in real life.

Stabler (Christopher Meloni ) from L&O SVU was on the show last season as one of the main character's "sugar daddy." faint.gif

The current NY drag ballroom scene is more like a fashion show w/dance moves.  Think RuPaul.

Philly had one last Sunday after the Gay Pride Parade. 

EDIT:  Found a "tame" vogue video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R7buHGP_ME

LOL @SilleeMee  "I think @Mz iMac  can explain that better than I can."tumblr_m4i83jRMVe1rqcdvao1_400.gif

figured this out after seeing the ad this morning

looks good 

love me some Elliot 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

soundtrack is available on Spotify

and season 1 on amazon but not for free,

Honored Contributor

Soundtrack is free on YouTube.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Well, it's 11:00 pm and about 20 minutes to go. I think this is one of the best episodes yet. Not only entertaining, informative but most of all moving! Got to go and watch the rest!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

I haven't had a chance to watch it. Been kind of busy. But I think I'll get to it today sometime and then I'll be back for comments.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't watch the show (I should) but ran across an article about the first episode and learned of Hart Island for the first time.  Which in itself is shocking, that NYers didn't and don't even know it exists.

I'm still very upset from reading about it and so I watched the beginning of Pose.  Beautifully done.

The New York Times broke the story in the 2016 article below which tells shocking stories of people who never should have been buried there -- whose families didn't even know they're there. Your mind will be blown by how they ended up in mass graves.  It's sickening.  

The NYT has kept investigating Hart Island since 2016 and still is.  There are more than two aritcles.  The second article below chronicles their attempts to investigate the number of people with AIDS there.  In the two years since they begin investigating the number of people jumps from 16 to deifnitely over a thousand, maybe a few thousand.  

Can't link to the New York Times so here are the names to Google:

5/15/16:   "Unearthing the Secrets of New York's Mass Graves"

7/3/18:   "Dead of AIDS and Forgotten in Potter's Field"

Honored Contributor

I didn't know about Hart island either and I have family from Brooklyn. That part of the show was incredibly sad but I think it was well pointed out to make a point about how the AIDS epidemic took so many people. 

About Angel...do you think she used her 'leverage' to get what she wanted from Ms. Ford? I wonder if Ms. Ford felt threatened and made her decision based on that...?

Overall, it was a really good show! So much going on and it's difficult to discuss all of it in one post.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

...About Angel...do you think she used her 'leverage' to get what she wanted from Ms. Ford? I wonder if Ms. Ford felt threatened and made her decision based on that...?

Overall, it was a really good show! So much going on and it's difficult to discuss all of it in one post.

Opening this season with the Hart Island scene was brilliant. It did take a few minutes for me to realize what was going on.

@SilleeMee  I don't think Angel used her leverage. Ms Ford was already quite "taken" with Angel's look so even though Angel may have been making a point, I don't think it was the deciding factor.

I am concerned about Blanca. She seems to still be in denial. I hope she starts taking better care of herself.

Elektra seems to be reverting back to her former self. It will be interesting to see how she does after returning back to the house where she was once "the mother".

Based on this week's episode it doesn't look like this series will have a second-year slump which so many seem to have these days.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Yes, the second year slump seems to happen more often than not. I think it would be difficult to top last season's performance. But even with a possible decrease in viewership, I still think it has a lot of appeal...and it's so different from most any other show on cable TV right now. I have to say Murphy is doing a better job with Pose than he did with the last couple of seasons of American Horror Story@Tique 

Honored Contributor

At first I thought Elektra's sudden infusion of cash was from her Sugar Daddy even though he made it quite clear that his ladies always had a little something extra which Elektra got rid of during the first season.

Now we know Elektra's ventured into the world of domination and her client is also into drugs which she is not. Something tells me after seeing that new apartment, she's not walking away.

Btw, Pose has already been renewed for Season 3. Yay!!!

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.