Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,818
Registered: ‎05-19-2012

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)

[ Edited ]

This tender and loving movie has always had a place in my heart.  

 

To me, it speaks not only of the valiant efforts of a young widow to keep her family going, but also to recognizing the needs of all humankind.  We should love all and help all who are in need. 

 

Most of all, though, it touches me in my heart in that final scene when there is an acknowledgement that those whom we have loved and have passed are forever with us.  They always have a place in our heart.  Writing about this scene moves me to a great depth of feeling.  For me, it is one of the most stirring scenes in cinematic history.

 

ETA:  I must add that you have to have seen the movie to know who is alive and who has passed.  When you see those who have passed taking their communion drink, your heart stops.  It goes without saying that the significance of everlasting life undergirds this scene. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,409
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)

One of my all time favorite's.  The whole cast is terrific.

Fear Is Incomplete Knowledge---Agatha Christie
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,879
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Teddie wrote:

This is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The first time I saw it the final scene brought tears to my eyes. I should try to watch this again. It’s been quite awhile. 


@Teddie. I'm glad I decided to watch it again last night after not having seen it in so long. @mousiegirl  I'm thinking about getting the DVD now also.

 

One small critique for which I fault the director: I thought Amy Madigan was much too obvious about her affair with Ed Harris, giving it away to both their spouses.  I think a woman in her position would have been much more discreet about those longing glances and other body language signals.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,524
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Pearlee wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

This is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The first time I saw it the final scene brought tears to my eyes. I should try to watch this again. It’s been quite awhile. 


@Teddie. I'm glad I decided to watch it again last night after not having seen it in so long. @mousiegirl  I'm thinking about getting the DVD now also.

 

One small critique for which I fault the director: I thought Amy Madigan was much too obvious about her affair with Ed Harris, giving it away to both their spouses.  I think a woman in her position would have been much more discreet about those longing glances and other body language signals.


@Pearlee   I was not aware of any of that history when I first watched. Was she supposed to be attracted to his character? I don’t remember. If not, then what you observed would certainly be inappropriate and not realistic acting. 

I’ll have to notice that when I next watch. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,442
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Pearlee wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

This is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The first time I saw it the final scene brought tears to my eyes. I should try to watch this again. It’s been quite awhile. 


@Teddie. I'm glad I decided to watch it again last night after not having seen it in so long. @mousiegirl  I'm thinking about getting the DVD now also.

 

One small critique for which I fault the director: I thought Amy Madigan was much too obvious about her affair with Ed Harris, giving it away to both their spouses.  I think a woman in her position would have been much more discreet about those longing glances and other body language signals.


 

@Pearlee   Maybe that was the way in the South in that era. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,879
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Teddie wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

This is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The first time I saw it the final scene brought tears to my eyes. I should try to watch this again. It’s been quite awhile. 


@Teddie. I'm glad I decided to watch it again last night after not having seen it in so long. @mousiegirl  I'm thinking about getting the DVD now also.

 

One small critique for which I fault the director: I thought Amy Madigan was much too obvious about her affair with Ed Harris, giving it away to both their spouses.  I think a woman in her position would have been much more discreet about those longing glances and other body language signals.


@Pearlee   I was not aware of any of that history when I first watched. Was she supposed to be attracted to his character? I don’t remember. If not, then what you observed would certainly be inappropriate and not realistic acting. 

I’ll have to notice that when I next watch. 


@Teddie  You learn in the first 5 or so minutes of the film that they are actively having an affair and are married to other people.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,442
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell  I think Malkovich is my favorite character in the movie. Love the scenes when he frantically looks for Possum during the tornado, and when he asks Sally Field what she looks like.


 

@Pearlee   and when he tried to help Danny Glover when the KKK had him.  The entire film was superb from beginning to end.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,524
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Pearlee wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

This is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The first time I saw it the final scene brought tears to my eyes. I should try to watch this again. It’s been quite awhile. 


@Teddie. I'm glad I decided to watch it again last night after not having seen it in so long. @mousiegirl  I'm thinking about getting the DVD now also.

 

One small critique for which I fault the director: I thought Amy Madigan was much too obvious about her affair with Ed Harris, giving it away to both their spouses.  I think a woman in her position would have been much more discreet about those longing glances and other body language signals.


@Pearlee   I was not aware of any of that history when I first watched. Was she supposed to be attracted to his character? I don’t remember. If not, then what you observed would certainly be inappropriate and not realistic acting. 

I’ll have to notice that when I next watch. 


@Teddie  You learn in the first 5 or so minutes of the film that they are actively having an affair and are married to other people.


@Pearlee  I think I may have misunderstood you that they were having an affair in real life. You mean the characters, I think. It’s been a looong time since I’ve watched it! 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,879
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@mousiegirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell  I think Malkovich is my favorite character in the movie. Love the scenes when he frantically looks for Possum during the tornado, and when he asks Sally Field what she looks like.


 

@Pearlee   and when he tried to help Danny Glover when the KKK had him.  The entire film was superb from beginning to end.


@mousiegirl  I didn't list that one because it's not a favorite of mine. The other two I mentioned were touching. That KKK scene is just horrible, even though I do love how Malkovich started identifying them so they skeedaddled.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,442
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)


@Pearlee wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell  I think Malkovich is my favorite character in the movie. Love the scenes when he frantically looks for Possum during the tornado, and when he asks Sally Field what she looks like.


 

@Pearlee   and when he tried to help Danny Glover when the KKK had him.  The entire film was superb from beginning to end.


@mousiegirl  I didn't list that one because it's not a favorite of mine. The other two I mentioned were touching. That KKK scene is just horrible, even though I do love how Malkovich started identifying them so they skeedaddled.


 

@Pearlee   That's what I meant, how he acted toward them and in so doing, helped Danny be released..  The scene was frightening and how it was in the South.  John was not my favorite actor, but he did a fine job of acting a difficult character, having to appear blind, etc.