Honored Contributor

PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)

I watched this on TCM last night; had only seen it one other time in 1985 when it came out.  Sally Field won an Academy Award for it. It has a terrific cast including Ed Harris and his real life wife Amy Madigan, Danny Glover, John Malkovich, Lindsey Crouse, etc. It takes place in 1935 and the film does a fantastic job of recreating that era. The very last brief scene is very bizarre and open to interpretation.  Is this film on anyone's favorites list?

After the movie I Googled to see whether Harris  and Madigan  are still married. They sure are (good for them!) and from their current photos both have aged naturally, wrinkles and all. Doubly good for them!

Trusted Contributor

Re: PLACES IN THE HEART (MOVIE 1985)

I never saw the movie before but I had it on last night. I watched it on and off while doing other things and sat down to really wach the  last 45 minutes. It was so good, I'm going to see if it's on demand and watch the whole thing.

Respected Contributor

It's on my list on favorite movies.

Honored Contributor

I agree, @Pearlee ,  it's a lovely film, perfect art direction for a 'period' feeling, with luminous performances.  John Malkovich was excellent.

That last scene is very unusual and gives me shivers whenever I watch it....

Honored Contributor

Ben M made some comments about the closing scene.  It is rather odd.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I think Malkovich is my favorite character in the movie. Love the scenes when he frantically looks for Possum during the tornado, and when he asks Sally Field what she looks like.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's the final scene in case you need to refresh your memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IugyK8XZDDE&ab_channel=Samuel

Really a very fine film.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I watched this on TCM last night; had only seen it one other time in 1985 when it came out.  Sally Field won an Academy Award for it. It has a terrific cast including Ed Harris and his real life wife Amy Madigan, Danny Glover, John Malkovich, Lindsey Crouse, etc. It takes place in 1935 and the film does a fantastic job of recreating that era. The very last brief scene is very bizarre and open to interpretation.  Is this film on anyone's favorites list?

After the movie I Googled to see whether Harris  and Madigan  are still married. They sure are (good for them!) and from their current photos both have aged naturally, wrinkles and all. Doubly good for them!

@Pearlee   I LOVE this movie.  I bought the DVD, and watch it every year, sometimes more often.

Esteemed Contributor

Recall seeing this in the theater on the same day as "Country" with Jessica Lange.

Along with that year's "The River " with Sissy Spacek critics called it The Farm Triology.

All 3 were Oscar nominated for Best Actress 

Trusted Contributor

This is one of my favorites. I love everything about it. The first time I saw it the final scene brought tears to my eyes. I should try to watch this again. It’s been quite awhile.