Super Contributor

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.  I always liked her, she was so bright  and perky.

Honored Contributor

Thanks!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@Oznell  i was glad to be reminded of the wonderful Phyllis Newman. you are right - she was sooooo charming, truly bright and immensely talented.  

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I remember Phyllis Newman well, she had  recurring role on Thirtysomething. I think she was a breast cancer survivor. 

I loved the show Thirtysomething.  However, I don't remember her on the show.  That was a long time ago, when I was not yet in my thirties!

If my memory serves me correctly, Phyllis played the mother of Melissa Steadman, red haired girl,  on Thirtysomething. 

Omg @Shelbelle @PUPPY LIPS - I was a die hard fan of Thirtysomething.  I wasn't 30 yet either back then.  Loved that show so much!  Miss Ken Olin and the crew.

Esteemed Contributor

May she RIP🌹

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I remember Phyllis Newman well, she had  recurring role on Thirtysomething. I think she was a breast cancer survivor. 

I loved the show Thirtysomething.  However, I don't remember her on the show.  That was a long time ago, when I was not yet in my thirties!

If my memory serves me correctly, Phyllis played the mother of Melissa Steadman, red haired girl,  on Thirtysomething. 

Omg @Shelbelle @PUPPY LIPS - I was a die hard fan of Thirtysomething.  I wasn't 30 yet either back then.  Loved that show so much!  Miss Ken Olin and the crew.

Ken Olin is now an exec producer and director of This is Us. He was last seen acting on Bros and Sisters. I miss seeing his talented wife, Patricia Wettig, amazing actress.  

Trusted Contributor

I certainly do remember Phyllis Newman, from back in the days of the game shows. 

I am reading her Wikipedia article right now, and it's amazing.  

"Newman was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, the daughter of Rachael, a fortune teller, and Sigmund Newman, a handwriting analyzer, both boardwalk workers. Her parents were Eastern European Jewish immigrants.[1][2] She attended Lincoln High School where she was voted "Future Hollywood Star."[3]

Career[edit] Broadway[edit]

Newman made her Broadway debut in Wish You Were Here in 1952. Additional theater credits include Bells Are Ringing, Pleasures and Palaces, The Apple Tree, On the Town, The Prisoner of Second Avenue, Awake and Sing!, Broadway Bound, and Subways Are for Sleeping, for which she won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical, beating out Barbra Streisand in I Can Get It for You Wholesale. She was nominated twice for the Drama Desk Award and received a second Tony Award nomination, for Broadway Bound."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Newman

I'm a 1955 baby, so she was well-established as a "personality" by the time I was old enough to watch TV. 

Trusted Contributor

I saw Phyllis and her husband Adolphe Green many years ago, when my friends and I were in NYC at a theatre, waiting to see Peter Allen in concert.

I forget where the concert was, so many years ago, in the seventies.  I just remember the lobby was super-crowded, and I recognized them both right away. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize she was still alive!

I'm the odd person out here.  Gosh, she used to be all over TV, not only acting but on game shows and talk shows -- a lot.  I always thought she was kind of a loud mouth and a bit obnoxious.  I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead and sorry she passed away, but I never liked her much.  I always thought her marriage to Adolphe G. was like beauty and the beast, I thought he was so homely!

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@San Antonio Gal  LOVED THAT SHOW,  still think about it.