Honored Contributor

JohnnyEager

Loved the picture of Newman and Holden from Picnic.  I posted about Phyllis being in Picnic because it is one of my favorite movies.  I saw it twice when it came out and have seen it numerous time since, I have the DVD and just watched Picnic last week or so.

Phyllis is also in a scene when they are at the picnic and she is dancing to the music.  She was in her twenties at the time and probably starting out in entertainment.

Trusted Contributor

Re: PHYLLIS NEWMAN, RIP

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

She died yesterday, at age 86.  She was an actress and musical comedy star, and an extremely spritely and charming presence on TV, back when talk shows had a modicum of intelligence or wit.  She could mix it up with Merv, or Mike, or anyone up for giggles and stimulating conversation.

She was even married to Adolph Green, songwriter and playwright of legendary "Comden and Green" fame, his professional partnership with the equally illustrious Betty Comden.

They ran in the Judy Holliday/Lenny Bernstein crowd.  I don't know, Phyllis represents for me the sparkle and sophistication of a long-lost New York.  She was larky and fun, and always seemed to be enjoyably making it up as she went along.  RIP.  

@Oznell- wasn't she wonderful? I used to love to watch her when she filled in on What's My Line. So witty and charming and real. Some of the panelists on What's My Line were very New-York-y, which I loved, as was Phyllis Newman. She lived on the Upper West Side in the Beresford, one of my favorite apartment buildings. I bet she had one beautiful apartment. She and I became Facebook friends several years ago, and although we only traded comments once, I felt like I was in her "circle," which of course I wasn't. But that's how she was. She was also very much into women's health issues, having been a breast cancer survivor. May she rest in peace with her dear Adolph.

I felt that same way about her!   I loved to watch What's My Line? and some other "ritzy" shows on tv.

I was very young when P.N. was at her best.  She was always perky, funny, friendly, and I expected to have friends just like her when I moved to the big city (after I was finished with school). 

No, things did not quite work out that way.  P.N. was one in a million.  It's great that you two connected on facebook.

Honored Contributor

Re: PHYLLIS NEWMAN, RIP

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I didn't realize she was still alive!

I'm the odd person out here.  Gosh, she used to be all over TV, not only acting but on game shows and talk shows -- a lot.  I always thought she was kind of a loud mouth and a bit obnoxious.  I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead and sorry she passed away, but I never liked her much.  I always thought her marriage to Adolphe G. was like beauty and the beast, I thought he was so homely!

@Pearlee  - I just want to ask you what your point was to put down Phyllis's husband as being a homely beast. And she was a loud mouth and obnoxious? I don't think you are sorry at all.

She just died, Pearley. Shame on you.

@sunala   Well sunala, I think my point was crystal clear, so I really can't do anything more to clarify if for you. 

As for your thinking I'm not sorry at all, you cannot know what is in my mind. Therefore, I'll take your comment for what it's worth.

Shame on me?  I don't think so.....  My opinion was a valid and truthful  one to express on this thread. We can't all agree. Perhaps someone will similarly scold you some day for expressing your contrary opinion.  At any rate neither Phyllis Newman nor Adolph Green will be reading my post.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I didn't realize she was still alive!

I'm the odd person out here.  Gosh, she used to be all over TV, not only acting but on game shows and talk shows -- a lot.  I always thought she was kind of a loud mouth and a bit obnoxious.  I'm sorry to speak ill of the dead and sorry she passed away, but I never liked her much.  I always thought her marriage to Adolphe G. was like beauty and the beast, I thought he was so homely!

@Pearlee  - I just want to ask you what your point was to put down Phyllis's husband as being a homely beast. And she was a loud mouth and obnoxious? I don't think you are sorry at all.

She just died, Pearley. Shame on you.

@sunala   Well sunala, I think my point was crystal clear, so I really can't do anything more to clarify if for you. 

As for your thinking I'm not sorry at all, you cannot know what is in my mind. Therefore, I'll take your comment for what it's worth.

Shame on me?  I don't think so.....  My opinion was a valid and truthful  one to express on this thread. We can't all agree. Perhaps someone will similarly scold you some day for expressing your contrary opinion.  At any rate neither Phyllis Newman nor Adolph Green will be reading my post.

@Pearlee- and you know why they won't be reading your post? Because they are D-E-A-D. And if someone scolds me for something, it won't be the first time. Of course nobody knows what's in your mind. We only know what you post, and we all saw your mean-spirited words. Who makes fun of the dead? They looked how they looked. We can't all be beautiful and handsome, you know. Anyway, I'm done with you. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett